#1 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Local Club: A5 & Mini Mainiacs

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hi all, I'm a bit of a bass junkie and I'm looking for a sub to add to my install, it's only a small setup made from stuff I was given for free - here's the break down:

Pioneer deh-50ub head unit

2x jbl power series p-52's

2x jbl gto 602mk2's

The four component speakers are all located under the rear bench not the best I know but they are staying put. I want to put a 10" sub in the boot but I'm on a tight budget so no amp for now - I'd like to stay with jbl and I like the look of the gto 1014 so my question is - is this suitable for my needs ? I just want wing mirror bouncing really :P

Rhys

#2 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Oh and one more question - will my standard alternator/battery sustain all this ?

#3 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hi all, I'm a bit of a bass junkie and I'm looking for a sub to add to my install, it's only a small setup made from stuff I was given for free - here's the break down:

Pioneer deh-50ub head unit

2x jbl power series p-52's

2x jbl gto 602mk2's

The four component speakers are all located under the rear bench not the best I know but they are staying put. I want to put a 10" sub in the boot but I'm on a tight budget so no amp for now - I'd like to stay with jbl and I like the look of the gto 1014 so my question is - is this suitable for my needs ? I just want wing mirror bouncing really :P

Rhys

Sorry Subwoofers need an amp unless you buy an active (self powered) unit.

#4 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Oh right I didn't know that :L thanks - what would you recomend mr. Ruckus ?

by the way nice feature in mini world, a very nice mini at that :)

Rhys

Edited by stretch tech, 20 January 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#5 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Your alternator will depend on a couple of things; such as it's current condition, how many lights you have and how many other ancilleries you have (sat nav / heated seats / etc).

Assuming it's in good'ish condition and you don't have mental powerful lights or spotlamps running the width of the car that you use non-stop, then it will have no trouble dealing with a small install.

That said, your battery might if you use said install for periods of time with the engine off, Mini battery isn't really huge so try to limit 'car park' time. :)

On the subwoofer front, given the position of your Coaxials (they're not comps). I'd suggest a sub might not be such a good idea, the co-ax's pointing at your heels currently and the frequencies you'll be asking them to produce if you install a sub will be tight ones which (ideally) need pointing at the recieving source - your ears.
If you have an additional, low wide wave creating sub it's probable that your mid and upper noises will get swallowed up by it.

That said, if all you want is something to go thud. What's your budget? :proud:

#6 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Thanks skortchio :) yeah they aren't in the best place and they're aimed down a little so the music always sounds a bit dull but with the music I listen to it's not that big of a problem ;) aha hmmm is there any up rated batteries on the market or should I just avoid turning up when on the ignition ? I only have a pair of spot lights and Barr that, everything else electrical is standard. The alternator was checked over in the rebuild and it's like new.

Going thud sounds good to me :P my budget is ideally £100 or under for sub/amp - not much I know but I really don't want to be wasting money that could other wise go toward insurance

Rhys

#7 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Pergeot 307 desiel batteries are pretty common upgrades to the mini one, beefier all round.
I'm currently using one of these bad boys:

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

But if you're going to be playing for extended periods without the ignition on then you might benefit from a deep cycle battery, they're designed to be run low on charge without borking up. But they are pricey.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

#8 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Okay I might buy a 307 battery when I need to replace mine.

Thanks for the links but the deep cycle ones may be a bit out of my price range :L

What amp would you recommend for the gto 1014 sub ? Under £50 if possible ;) aha

Rhys

#9 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

You can pick up a budget active sub for about £100, Don't expect fire lighting performance but from inside a mini it should be enough to make panels rattle. The advantage is the enclosure is already built for you.

If you're only concerned about the bass, the look for a bandpass / ported box.

For your budget you're best bet is 2nd hand, check out the talkaudio forums. You might be able to snag a bargain, I got my whole install from there bar the HU (which I still haven't bought).

#10 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Would something like this be any good ? It has the amp, sub and wiring kit included and in my price range :D should I buy a 10 or 12 inch sub ? And is the power outputs any good ?

http://item.mobilewe...nid=85160971827

Rhys

#11 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

It'll make a noise, if that's what you're asking. But I wouldn't expect anything much in terms of power or quality. ;D

It's rated at 250w but that's probably on the optimistic side.
A wiring kit is £10-15 seperately.
I could be wrong but I seem to remember hearing that Vibe make presentable enough kit for the lower end of the price range.

Personally if you want bass, look for something like this:

http://www.talkaudio...um-gzia2235hpx/

And search for a GT4 - they go cheap as chips 2nd hand.

Build it into a large tuned box and it WILL rattle your car and the one next to it :lol:

#12 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Would something like this be any good ? It has the amp, sub and wiring kit included and in my price range :D should I buy a 10 or 12 inch sub ? And is the power outputs any good ?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=320668906469&index=19&nav=SEARCH&nid=85160971827

Rhys

Oh god my eyes!!

Please don't buy **** like this.

#13 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Okay then, thanks i'll have a look round for a gt4 :) what's your opinion on the gto 1014 ? They seem to be a similar spec to the gt4 and there seems to be a lot around new for a good price. I like to buy electronics new if it over the Internet/not buying off actual people - just a habit - that said, I'd probably be able to stretch to the £150-£200 budget for everything.

Should I link my four speakers to an amp as well ? or would I just be better of getting an amp/sub and leave the speakers running off the HU ?

Cheers

Rhys

#14 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=320668906469&index=19&nav=SEARCH&nid=85160971827

Rhys

Oh god my eyes!!

Please don't buy **** like this.

That bad ? :L thanks for the heads up, what would you recommend for my situation ?

Cheers

Rhys

#15 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Just had a look around on the interweb and I haven't heard anything bad about the gt4-12 so I Think I'm gonna go with that in a sealed box with some wool inside it. How much space would the box for this take up in the boot ? I know it's not going to fit over the arch without sticking into the boot a bit more than a 10"

Rhys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users