#61 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Unipart 20w50 satisifies all the ZDDP requirements and seems to work just fine. I've pulled the cam followers from a few engines run exclusively on this and they looked great, with nice sombrero marks and no pitting.
On higher mileage engines and MPis I use Unipart 15w40.

#62 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Unipart 20w50 satisifies all the ZDDP requirements and seems to work just fine. I've pulled the cam followers from a few engines run exclusively on this and they looked great, with nice sombrero marks and no pitting.

On higher mileage engines and MPis I use Unipart 15w40.

Is that for auto or manual?

#63 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Manual mainly as I've only played with one auto.

The 15w40 doesn't have the ZDDP as it is made to a newer API rating for catalyst cars (hence using it in MPi), but as with lead-memory in heads, older engines should be run in enough to use it.

It's a good point that no-one has made yet - SPi and MPi cars should NOT be putting ZDDP in as it buggers the cat.

#64 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

That's where the oil arguments come in. The 1950's Mini engine & gearbox needs a high ZDDP thick-ish oil due to its shared gearbox and large manufacturing tolerances, but the cat doesn't like a high ZDDP level. Personally I would rather have a shorter cat life than a shorter engine/gearbox life.

#65 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

That's where the oil arguments come in. The 1950's Mini engine & gearbox needs a high ZDDP thick-ish oil due to its shared gearbox and large manufacturing tolerances, but the cat doesn't like a high ZDDP level. Personally I would rather have a shorter cat life than a shorter engine/gearbox life.

So is 20w50 ok to use in a MPi ?

#66 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

And does zddp cause the clutch plates in an auto to wear prematurely?

#67 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Not all 20w50 is equal - some is suitable for Mini engines and some isn't.

Check the API codes on the containers.

#68 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yes, so long as it's a good quality 20w50 and not that 'weasel-p**s' they sell at Wilkinsons.
Change the oil & filter in a Mini at least once every 2000 to 3000 miles. Remember it's an old classic car and needs treating as such.

#69 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes, so long as it's a good quality 20w50 and not that 'weasel-p**s' they sell at Wilkinsons.
Change the oil & filter in a Mini at least once every 2000 to 3000 miles. Remember it's an old classic car and needs treating as such.

Cheers CM, i normally do a oil change around them intervals, but as said iv been using 10w40 for years and got 10 ltrs of that Millers mini 20w50 being delivered..so gonna giv that a bash ;D

#70 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

And does zddp cause the clutch plates in an auto to wear prematurely?

No it coats them, which makes them slip. Much the same as the cam and followers and any other sliding surfaces, which is why it's there.........

Just a quick offtopic thing..

Can you please stop with the ...... At the end of every post you make. I'm sure your information is absolutely correct but It makes everyone asking the question feel really stupid. Don't know why, just does.

Cheers

#71 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Best oil often depends on what your engine spec is. I personally would only use a high quality 20w50 in my car, an A+ 1275cc Carb Engine. Despite the owners manual saying 10w40. I personally use either Halfords own brand on Millers. With everything though, using a cheap oil is just as bad as running an engine with no Coolant. Stick to brands that are recommended or are known brands (Castrol, etc.). Using this type of oil we're trying to extend the life of your engine and gearbox. So scrimping is a really stupid idea.

Here's a link to some Halfords 20w50:

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165581

Here's a link to some Millers 20w50:

http://www.opieoils....t-mini-oil.aspx

and here to the Castrol 20w50:

http://www.minisport...ASTROL4_5L.html

Remember when changing the oil, you should really change the filter.

#72 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Okies, iv changed me oil from 10W40 to millers 20W50 mini oil...noticed the difference straight away, smoother gear changes for a start. and it might be me but less tappet noise (they are adjusted correctly)

Thanks for your heads up on millers folk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users