36 replies to this topic

#16 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

i'd say standar spec too :) because its so old... it'll be valued higher then too :) but then again, like everyone already said, its your car.

#17 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

+3 on the above.

#18 ClubbyAsh

ClubbyAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hi and welcome to TMF, good to see more youngsters joining! What a lovely car you have, i'm personally all for originality but it's your car and noone on here can tell you what you can or can't do, although you will be able to recieve a lot of help from these guys on here! Enjoy your build and i look forward to keeping up with it!

#19 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Nice project you have there :-) I'm another one for keeping it standard spec.

#20 petechap

petechap

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

keep it standard it will be worth soo much more, but i really am into the idea of bringing the black down to the bottoms of the windows, similar to the idea of the one steve mcqueen had

#21 Dec Young

Dec Young
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thanks artful dodger! Why is it rare please get back to me! :D

#22 Dec Young

Dec Young
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thanks everyone :) quick question, how many minis were made before 1961? I'm incredibly surprised at the large amount of interest in my little old thing, I'll do my upmost to keep everyone informed on my progress!

#23 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Because its a fairly early mk1 deluxe!! Looks to be in quite good condition as well:P

Best of luck, take your time! Don't rush to get it done for your 17th etc personally I'd get a rubbish old Clio or something as a first car but :P and I started mine at 15, still at it 3 years later!!!

A good amount, but there is very little left. They were first made in mid 1959, and hardly any of them survive. This is about as good as it gets for most mini owners, and you have jumped right in at the top of the pile of mini awesomeness! Only thing that could be better was if it was a mk1 cooper S!!

Edited by Artful Dodger, 21 February 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#24 Dec Young

Dec Young
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hmm il definitely consider, and will I be able to keep my original registration plate? I would love too!

#25 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

If you have any chassis numbers, engine numbers, V5 (ownership) documents then yes.

Only snag could be if it was ever registered as scrap, or it has no numbers, documentation etc like My mk2...

Chassis numbers are found on the slam panel, ( where the bonnet catch is) or near the radiator. Engine numbers are on a lip top right of the block. Can be seen of looking down at the engine

Edited by Artful Dodger, 21 February 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#26 iMurray

iMurray

Mild Cheddar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

minis were slow to start off... less than 20,000 in there first year, and they do enjoy rusting, so consider your '61 pretty damn early... not the earliest... but he's 52 years old! thats old school! so keep the little man standard. and take your time... dont rush :P if you have the oppurtunity than yes, buy a car like said clio to drive around in, because the little mini will be wrth a ton more when its finished to a good standard :)

#27 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Also with such an early Mini you should take a look around the Mk1 Performance website and forum:
http://mk1-performan...k/mk1_index.htm

Also for details of the really early 1959 models take a look here:
http://1959miniregister.com/

Good luck.

#28 Dec Young

Dec Young
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hey guys, update is not much has happened, my minilite wheels were scuffed and painted with an aerosol so they didn't look so good :/ so I've had them blasted, primed and re painted in a lovely silver :D

Attached Files

#29 Dec Young

Dec Young
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Quick update, my wheels are finished and look perfect! Anyone one know where I can find some Minilite centre caps for 10x5 wheels?

Attached Files

#30 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Looks good!

I bet there are a good few people who will not want you to put them on, but so do it, that's going to look rad! Subtle mods will be so nice!

Are you going for an original colour scheme?

And for the centre caps, I'm sure if you contact mini-lite they will send you some. But I run my wheels without centre caps, they look better! Just remember to grease up the castle nut on the front and the cap at the back! Stop I going rusty

Also, you staying with drums on the front? If you are thinking about it put the 7.5 inch disc brakes on it. Much better and far superior to drums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users