45 replies to this topic

#31 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

4k On Cars Under 1500cc Is Not Uncommon But 4000 Of His Hard Earned Cash On A 1.2 Is Madness :ohno:
I Can't Remeber What Forum I Was On Last Week, But There Was An Article That A 18YO Was Paying £5K On A 2000 Fiat Punto

He's a moron. He wanted a Mini because we have one but couldn't afford one and got upset that we wouldn't give him ours. He then spent way over budget to buy this Corsa (about cheap road-worthy Mini price), even though I found him a much better, lower mileage, 1.0 that was a fair bit cheaper on insurance. But his one is an SXi, so it's sporty and fast isn't it! No, it's a Vauxhall Corsa. Added to this his Corsa will need a new steering rack soon, the heating doesn't work among other things and half of it's pink (red car).

But SXi isn't it! Stupid chav! Won't be long until he spins off into a tree, it's nearly happened twice already.

#32 MiniCooper500*

MiniCooper500*

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

If I Had A Pound 4 Evrytime I Heard That Story :lol: (Not In A Rude Way).... I would Love To Own A 1Litre, But Like Many 17YO's We Just Like Fast Driving But A Corsa Isnt The Best Option... HAAA The Classic Case Of The Vauxhall 'Pink'.... The Faded Red On Older Corsa's Make It Look Like A Two-Toned Car.... My Goodness He's Gonna Be Nearly Out Of Money By The Time He's Finished Repairing That Corsa :ohno:

I Think Its Down 2 Peer Pressure... Us 17YO's Dont want to Be Seen In Slow Cars :lol:.... But If It Means That Insurance Is Cheaper I Prefer The 1.0 :D .... I Have A Feeling He's Gonna Tune Up His Car

#33 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I see your (17 year old's) points, I was one once, but it won't be many years before you think 'is there any point?'. Whether it's 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, they're all slow. So what if you beat a 1.0 in your 1.2, it's still an underpowered shopping trolley. He was thinking of getting a 1.6 Golf because that's apparently supercar quick, but to me it's still the same category of underpowered shopping trolley, and he'd only stuff it into a solid object even sooner. Start cheap, don't crash, save money while reducing insurance premiums, in early 20's you can afford something genuinly nice and quick - not that I did that either but with hindsight... His mates 1.6 Saxo is a 'rocket' and could easily beat my Saab apparently. Off the line, possibly. In the corners, definitely. From a rolling start, dream on. They live in the clouds.

What makes it worse is that his sister had a 1.2 Corsa C, it wasn't an SXi but a 'Design' with a slightly later twinport engine, so a little bit faster than his 'sporty' POS. We got rid of it because it was an unreliable, bland, soulless and boring car, and it wasn't even pink. I can't stand them.

Like the way this forum now word filters "inn-it"

#34 MiniCooper500*

MiniCooper500*

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I Was Thinking Of Getting An R5GTT Wen I'm 21 Maybe 22.... Its The Only Car Under 2L That Sounds Lyke A Subaru Impreza Wen Yu Put Yur Foot Down... :D

But I See Your Point Though... Not Much Cars Under 2.0L are Quick, I Like To Think Of Them As The ''Economy Class''.. Theres A Few Exceptions Like The Polo G40 The R5 Turbo Which Are Stupendously Quick. :o :w00t: .... But If Yur Brother Likes Fast Cars Then Hes Gonna Have To Save Up And Buy A Car That's 2.0L +

#35 Remylebleu

Remylebleu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: On my ones :)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

i was 17 not to long ago (7years ago) and i went down the route of looking for all different cars, trying to find the quickest, cheapest car and in the end i decided to pass my test and buy a mini, it was a 998, no mods, slow, old, not very nice looking but it was cheap to buy and insure, all my friends raced round in there saxos, puntos, corsa's and some even had xr3's with no insurance. because of how old and crap my mini was there was no point racing......im 24 now and touch wood ive never had accident (except when i reversed into a car on purpose because it blocked me in but it wasnt an accident :D) 2 of my mates actually died in car crashes and atleast 3 of them have smashed up over 3 cars each. were all kind of at the age where were having kids and mortgages.....they cant afford a half decent family style car as no one will insure them or its to expensive as there once disposable income isnt as disposable now they have kids and houses.....where as i on the other hand have no issues whatso ever......although im sure if i did get a faster car when i was 17 i would find myself in the same situation as my friends from back then. things like that and points on your licence can also affect you for alot longer than you think and even things like going for a job, if your equal to someone else on paper but you have 6 points on your licence and there's is clean? everyone will make mistakes growing up and we often make the wrong decisions in life but its best to do all you can to not make them whilst your in a car

#36 MiniCooper500*

MiniCooper500*

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Recently Found Out That A 17YO Is Paying £670 For Insurance On A Mini 1.3MPi :o

#37 jonny95

jonny95

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

im with elephant paying 1500 fully comp on a 998 with all mods declared

#38 MiniCooper500*

MiniCooper500*

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

How Much Would A 1275 Be Roughly

#39 fattail95

fattail95

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

1275 MPI here, TPFT with Adrian Flux was £2900, cheapest I could find even after 1 year riding a moped on the road with no issues! :(

#40 MiniCooper500*

MiniCooper500*

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

:o £2900 :o

Feck!! :(

#41 romang537

romang537

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'm 18 and my insurance on my 998cc with no mods is about £950 a year, but I think that's down to the fact I live in the middle of nowhere!

#42 fattail95

fattail95

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

:o £2900 :o

Feck!! :(

Some quotes were as high as £7,000 even from respected insurers, still was a bitter pill to swallow. But I've done 5,500 miles since I passed and have done the PassPlus so fingers crossed that should at least half it!

#43 MiniCooper500*

MiniCooper500*

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I Really Wanted A SportPack Or 500 Edition Mini As My First Car, They Sound Like Beasts :D :lol: :o

But If Insurance Is Being A ***** Then I Wouldn't Mind A 998 or 1098 ^_^

#44 liam-ds

liam-ds

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Local Club: Barnsley mini club

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

My first year of driving was last year got insured with footman james 998 mini all mods declared agreed value of 4000 3000 miles milage limit went over that a little oops haha all for 1769 this was fully comp too this year i have the same just doubled my milage and it was 1806 again fully comp was pretty happy with that. Hoping it will go down next year a little haha

Liam

#45 MiniCooper500*

MiniCooper500*

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I Heard If Yu Join A Mini Club, Yu'll Get A Discount On Insurance :D ... But I Don't Think There's Any In London :(

Unless Am Wrong :shifty: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users