conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Right...

Coming home from a trip to telford yesterday and here's what happened, I'll give you a run down:

- Oil pressure light starts flickering at me but I TRY to limp home
- Smoke (steam maybe?) (smelt like a BBQ in the car!) starts billowing into the car, out the exhaust and from the engine bay (wasnt a dark colour, more steamy looking though)
- Pull over, smokey stuff from the head but more importantly, the rocker cover and cap too
- Look at water level in rad, it's bone dry
- Check oil level, nothing!

So...

Poured a good 2.5L into the rad and set off again unfortunately still no oil as the garage had no 20w50 (I know I shouldnt of travelled but I had to), down on power in all gears and almost misfiring but cant describe it exactly... it was spluttering almost, the journey in this state was 10 minutes long

What's happened here then? Naively I havent checked the oil or water level since its been MOT'd but its only been on the road for 2 months maybe - where's all my oil and water gone?

What damage 'could' of been caused and how can I assess it?

- Head gasket on its way out?
- Valves/stem seales/pistons?
- Warped head?

Thinking simple... Can I put some 20w50 mineral oil in her now and fingers crossed it should be sorted and run 'OK'...?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another issue is the fact that the mini runs on after the engine is turned off...

It runs on longer when I've been on a longer journey and it will start if I simply put the key in the ignition and dont even turn it over!

- Timing?
- Too rich, mixture needs sorting?

It needs a massive tune up and sort out as its way too rich and power is lacking to be honest

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers TMF and sorry for the barrage of Q's for all those hungover like me

#2 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Driving with no oil was such a bad idea you will have caused a lot of damage, Sounds like head gasket?

#3 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Driving with no oil was such a bad idea you will have caused a lot of damage, Sounds like head gasket?

I know... :ohno: :unsure:

No idea how I can tell if it is the head gasket though..?

#4 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Sounds like the head gasket is gone.
The worst thing you've done is to not fill up with oil because you had no 20w50...ANY oil will be fine in such a situation
First thing to do now, a compression test.

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Well not what I'd call a good outcome, your engine has lost all its water and got hot enough to blow steam into the car, and has also no oil on the stick and the oil light is flashing indicating that on a standard oil pressure switch the engine is getting less oil pressure that the switch PSI which on a standard switch is 5-7psi.

The car was down on power after the above happened and misfiring, by refilling it with oil no I cant see it being ok again, depending on the extent of the loss of oil and oil pressure you most likely have damaged the crankshaft/bearings and any other related items pistons/rings gearbox? and certainly blown the head gasket.
I would now do a compression check and depending on the results of that you would remove the head and inspect the visual damage from within the bores as a first step, Not wishing to be a war monger I don't think its going to be a quick fix and by this time next week you could have it stripped down, would have been better at the first signs of overheating and the oil light flashing to have pulled over and been recovered home, but thats behind us now

I'd get a machine shop to put a straight edge on the cylinder head to determine if it needs refacing, then drop the oil and do a oil change and then refit the head if the bores are ok, rebuild and start back up and check the oil pressure with a gauge if the car doesn't have one, less than 40-50psi with the engine hot is bad news.Dont just accept its ok because the oil light goes out thats only possibly 5-7psi! You may find after doing the above and running it there is a bearing noise form the crank or big end bearings in the form of a rumble or knock, then its time to strip it down and investigate.

Edited by KernowCooper, 10 March 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#6 Scott@minispeed

Scott@minispeed

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

You have probably done all manner of damage to the crank etc most likely you are now looking at a full rebuild

#7 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I know... :ohno: :unsure:

No idea how I can tell if it is the head gasket though..?

Mayo on the filler cap? You need to do a compression test.

#8 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

It does sound higly likely it is the head gasket thats gone.
A compression check would tell if this is the case. You will usually see a lower reading on 2 cylinders which means the gasket has gone between the 2 cylinders.

Running on after switching off the ignition is usually due to weak fuel mixture and/or retarded igintion timing. Both of these incidently will make the engine run at a higher temperature, which will not do the engine any good.

As above, carry out a compression check, if this shows signs of head gasket failure, it's time to whip off the head for a gander I'm afraid.
Running the engine with little or no oil in it wouldn't have done it any good, but first things first have a look with the head off should the compression show a failed head gasket.

Hope this helps!

Steve.

Edited by Stevie W, 10 March 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#9 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

You really need someone who knows a series engines well to look over it. But I think you can bet a pound to a pinch that its stuffed after that. As Scott said, probably rebuild time

#10 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Appreciate the advice chaps.

I know now I should of stayed put and called the faithful AA... Ah well, we all make mistakes once and learn from them for sure, ey?! :lol: >_<

I'm tempted - if the damage is terrible, which by the sounds of it it probably is - to put a different engine in...

#11 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

OK, cheers fellas

You're in my position now... engine swap sound viable?

#12 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

OK, cheers fellas

You're in my position now... engine swap sound viable?

Yeah if you can find a good one - make sure you hear it running.

#13 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Yes, an engine swap is viable, since your present engine will need a strip down and rebuild if its been damaged by no oil/water.
:(

#14 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'd start by giving it an oil and filter change first, see is theres any bits of brgs etc in the old oil.

Chances are the head gasket has gone as well.

You may be lucky and get away with it, or you may not!!

#15 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hi Sean, reckon oil change is worthy then?

I'd rather save oil for a new engine than waste it to then have to change the gasket anyway :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users