Photo

Ditch The Blow Through Supercharger And Go Turbo?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#46 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:23 PM

I wonder what it is for when used on a bini. I've seen it blanked off on other super charger applications. I reckon the black pipe on the one in my pic is just to protect the ends whilst in transit. Its gonna bug me now, until I find out!

#47 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:09 PM

On the Slark/Spazeibiza set-up pictured the BMW by-pass valve isn't being used as it was intended to be. When this set-up is idling/cruising the only part of the system that's in vacuum is what's after the butterfly plate i.e. the inlet manifold. As it's vacuum that opens the by-pass valve then that black pipe must be replaced by one which connects to the inlet manifold.

On the BMW engine it came from the throttle body is on the inlet of the supercharger. When it's closed at idle/cruise everything after it is in vacuum: the supercharger, the intercooler and all the pipework. When the by-pass valve is installed in this system (between the supercharger outlet and inlet) that black pipe connects to itself where there is a hole leading to the inside of the casting (circled in red below). It senses it's own vacuum and opens itself.

Attached Files

#48 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

On the Slark/Spazeibiza set-up pictured the BMW by-pass valve isn't being used as it was intended to be. When this set-up is idling/cruising the only part of the system that's in vacuum is what's after the butterfly plate i.e. the inlet manifold. As it's vacuum that opens the by-pass valve then that black pipe must be replaced by one which connects to the inlet manifold.

On the BMW engine it came from the throttle body is on the inlet of the supercharger. When it's closed at idle/cruise everything after it is in vacuum: the supercharger, the intercooler and all the pipework. When the by-pass valve is installed in this system (between the supercharger outlet and inlet) that black pipe connects to itself where there is a hole leading to the inside of the casting (circled in red below). It senses it's own vacuum and opens itself.

So I wouldn't need to plumb the vacuum hose anywhere then? The black pipe is just it's own internal plumbing?

edit

scratch that. just realised I'd have to take it off the inlet and blank off the other bit

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 07 May 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#49 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

Not sure about how much it would last with a neg pressure air/fuel mix. presumably the seals in the drum were only designed to take just neg pressure air (with out the fuel).

#50 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

No, your set-up is more like the Slark one, so you'd need to take a vacuum source from the inlet manifold.

The large dump valve you already have is more suited to your system though.

#51 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

Ah, you've already realised and edited your post.

#52 daveb2014

daveb2014

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

Hi im new on here just noticed this thread, ive recently bought a mini with a blowthrough supercharger fitted and was wondering if there was a way i could run a turbo aswel? Dave

#53 Spaceibiza

Spaceibiza

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:35 PM

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. I think in theory it would be possible, but in practice I think you would be better running 1 or the other. What's the spec of your new car?

#54 daveb2014

daveb2014

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

Its a 1380 mini gt, fink its a supercharger off a modern type mini, has megajolt ignition? Intercooler, kent cam, lightened and balanced flywheel, hardened crank and conrods, i have a couple of pics but not sure how to upload? Thanks dave

#55 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

Its a 1380 mini gt, fink its a supercharger off a modern type mini, has megajolt ignition? Intercooler, kent cam, lightened and balanced flywheel, hardened crank and conrods, i have a couple of pics but not sure how to upload? Thanks dave

Use photobucket and copy the img code. 

#56 daveb2014

daveb2014

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

I dont have photobucket i dont think lol do i have to download it?/sign up to it?

#57 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:53 PM

I dont have photobucket i dont think lol do i have to download it?/sign up to it?

You have to sign up.

If you're using a tablet or ipad the app is very easy to use

#58 daveb2014

daveb2014

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

Ok il have a look and get some pics uploaded

#59 daveb2014

daveb2014