19 replies to this topic

#16 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Maybe yes, maybe no. Ideally you would have one but given that this is an Aussie car it would be harder to know whether or not it had metric cones which would mean buying the more expensive tool to begin with. Plus shipping. When you consider that both the old and new suspension may be adjustable enough to get the trumpets both in and out without the tool and the cost of it all it might not be worthwhile. If the existing trumpets aren't adjustable then I would say definitely get one personally but people will tell you lots of ways to do without. Just bear in mind that if you bodge something up and it fails at the critical moment the spring can make a real mess of your hands and fingers.

#17 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Having just done the front cones i would suggest getting a cone compressor. The one real big issue i had were the old cones threads were damaged on one side this led to me having to get quite medieval on removing it.

Thinking this was a one off i also had a spare twin bolt subframe sitting in the workshop so i thought i would check that out. Yep threads corroded on that one as well. These were both the Imperial threaded cones and not the coarser metric ones.

I will now make up an extended tap tool to clean the threads up if i get another subframe with these fitted. All of the new cones come with metric threads.

#18 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: Waikato Mini Club

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Im unsure about the front ones... this car was built from bare metal only about 8 months ago by the previous owner who also races mini's... The car is a New Zealand model which I think was built in the UK and shipped to NZ not from Australia.. I just live in Aus but the car is back home in NZ. Spax Suspension all around. Not sure if any of this info is helping at all... either way i'll probably just purchase the set of 4 in the links plus the genuine knuckles... just waiting for Minispares to get back to me with shipping costs... Also one side of the rear is sitting alot lower than the rest which could be a result of these homemade hi-lo's, a knuckle or a collapsed cone... Im hoping the home made Hi-Lo's!!!

#19 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

NZ cars are mostly J spec (Japan) I believe.

I hope he builds race cars better than road cars!

#20 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: Waikato Mini Club

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

^^ you and me both lol...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users