Photo

Get You And Your Mini Into Rallying......

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#16 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Ha HA.....we had a cheese buger before our first ever rally and the amount of cheese the guy put on was emormous! Made us both feel sick...but somehow i still managed to finish of the wifes!!! Ah well....my stomach rules above my brain!

#17 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Oh and on the motion sickness point...ginger nut biscuits are a great for anyone worried...better and more tasty than popping pills.!

#18 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

A note on motion sickness If I may. As a former navigator I can confirm that more than 50% of navigators suffer from motion sickness. It's the result of being driven quickly on twisty roads whilst not looking out. The balance mechanism in the ears gets confused and the result is sickness. When I started I tried all sorts of 'over-the-counter' pills to stop this, but I did find that only a brand called 'Avomine' worked for me. It's an anti-histamine and can cause sleepiness. I won't tell you what I used to combat that in the 60's, but it sure worked. Now I use Red Bull to overcome any sleepiness if I navigate.

Yes, get out there rallying. It's just great fun.

#19 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

I personally use a tablet called " sturgeon" ( as in the fish) it's available over the counter and has always kept my stomach in tact! One trick I did learn if you are prone to sickness on events , is to put a towel on your lap under your map board then if your feel the urge to be sick then do it in the towel then discard it at the next control stop

#20 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Are you sure the tablet you use is not called 'Stugeron'?

#21 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

If you don't fancy going out at night to spectate there are a couple of day time events coming up in the north.

First up is the Ilkley Jubilee on Sunday 21st April. The event starts at the Cattle Market in Skipton with a couple of tests, then goes off around Yorkshire with regularities and more tests. More info can be found at http://www.jubilee-rally.org/

I've been to down to this for the last couple of years and it's a good event with a varied selection of cars. There's always a good few minis taking part.

Next up on the 4th and 5th of May is the Berwick Classic. This rally is a similar format to the Ilkley, but run over two days. There's more info here http://www.berwickmotorclub.co.uk/

And here's some action from the 2011 event

There are plenty of Motor Clubs who organise events and they are always looking for marshals. Marshalling is a great way to find out how events run and see what goes on. I've done it a few times on night rallies checking cars through passage and time controls, filling in the sheets and then whizzing back to the finish for the buffet before the competitors get back.

#22 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thats the one!! apologies all

#23 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thats the one!! apologies all

And i've just gone and caught myself a 30lb Sturgeon ready to ram down the wife's throat.....Beluga Caviar anyone? :D :D :D :D

Edited by rally1380, 09 April 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#24 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Cheers for the heads up surfblue63 with regards to the Ilkley and the Berwick. Was going to discuss Historic Road Rallying a little later down the line as those events involve a bit more complicated navigation and timing and wanted to give people the basics of road rallying first before we started talking about regularity sections and average speeds. Also the Historic stuff is a little more involved with equipment and the fact you have to have an old car.....but we'll get to that.

Bit gutted if i'm honest as i was offered a place on the Ilkley but budget constraints (never seem to have any money!!!) mean it'll have to wait for next year!

Here is the Daytime, Historic Rally Championship dates for anyone wanting to have a bash or spectate. Also there are club specific events to consider too.

HRCR Clubman Rally Championship 2013

2nd March Tour of Cheshire Knutsford & District MC

24th March North Yorkshire Classic York Motor Club

21st April Ilkley Jubilee Historic Rally Ilkley & District Motor Club

11th May Leukaemia Historic Rally Ecurie Cymraeg

2nd June Hughes Rally Blackpalfrey MC of Kent

22nd June East Anglian Classic Chelmsford Motor Club

20th July Ross Traders Historic Tour Ross & District MSC

7th Sept Vale of Clwyd Classic Clwyd Vale Motor Club

22nd Sept St Wilfrids Classic Ripon Motor Sport Club

5th Oct Regis Rally Bognor Regis MC

12th Oct Throckmorton Challenge HERO

#25 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

For those that are interested there is a novice road rally being held on May 11th/12th in North wales by Clwyd Vale Motor Club. You don't need a competition licence as its open to club members only (£10 to join) and would be a great event to do as it uses some white roads too rather than all tarmac....like proper road rallies use.

Fingers crossed we'll be doing it too so if anyone is around come and say hello.

They are also running training evenings before the event to help out people new to the sport so if you can get there it would be a brilliant opportunity as not many clubs run these....plus the roads round north wales are awesome so get out and have a play....and they'll provide you with a cooked breakfast!!!!!!

It does say on the info that all roads have been passed using a standard car, so don't worry if you're car hasn't been prepped for off road stuff. Or if in doubt send them an email.

Reg's and entry for here.....

http://www.cvmc.org....oMarkRally.html

#26 jackx998

jackx998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Next year for me :-) I would love to come and watch this year though.

#27 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Bit of a long way from St. Austell though bro. Sounds like the start of a road trip?

Certainly worth the trip as North Wales is beautiful and the run along the A5 from Llangollen to Bangor is one of my favourites....kinda going the wrong way mind you but certainly worth it and then looping back through mid wales. Let me know if you want any more info on either the rally or places to stay, things to see etc...lived in that area a long time and know it well.

Also, if you want to make a week out of it, the Plains rally run by my motor club is happening the weekend after (18th) out of Welshpool, so you could get to see some very quick rally cars there give it the beans through forestry. Not sure but there may be a historic class so again, mini's might be out.

#28 jackx998

jackx998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Bit of a long way from St. Austell though bro. Sounds like the start of a road trip?

Certainly worth the trip as North Wales is beautiful and the run along the A5 from Llangollen to Bangor is one of my favourites....kinda going the wrong way mind you but certainly worth it and then looping back through mid wales. Let me know if you want any more info on either the rally or places to stay, things to see etc...lived in that area a long time and know it well.

Also, if you want to make a week out of it, the Plains rally run by my motor club is happening the weekend after (18th) out of Welshpool, so you could get to see some very quick rally cars there give it the beans through forestry. Not sure but there may be a historic class so again, mini's might be out.

Ha yes it is quite a way away, would be a nice little scenic trip though and my missus wouldn't mind it either maybe a bit short notice this May but there's nothing stopping me coming to watch an event later on in the season.

I don't really know much about the rally scene so I think it'd be good to try and come along to watch and see what it's all about, especially the non historic events as my mini is five years to young to compete in the HRCR so I'd like to see what sort of motors are being used in the beginners class and so on, I'm glad you've shared all this info because I would have never even thought of giving rallying a go.

Edited by jackx998, 13 April 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#29 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Ha yes it is quite a way away, would be a nice little scenic trip though and my missus wouldn't mind it either maybe a bit short notice this May but there's nothing stopping me coming to watch an event later on in the season.

I don't really know much about the rally scene so I think it'd be good to try and come along to watch and see what it's all about, especially the non historic events as my mini is five years to young to compete in the HRCR so I'd like to see what sort of motors are being used in the beginners class and so on, I'm glad you've shared all this info because I would have never even thought of giving rallying a go.

I'm glad you are finding the info useful...i had doubts that anyone was actually reading this so nice to hear positive feedback.

The HRCR events and the 'normal' road rally events are very different beasts. One thing that they both have in common (if your car was old enough) is that you can use your every day mini and not some special stage prepared monster hidden away in a garage. Granted, you would probably want to fit some extras like sump guard and spotlights and perhaps if you are really keen run the brake and fuel lines inside (or protect them underneath) but thats about it. You don't NEED a roll cage or bucket seats or harnesses, but i've fitted them for peace of mind and personnal safety...plus the wife is my navigator and if anything happened to her i would never forgive myself.

I'm sure there are some road rallies near to you. I only know of the ones up this way and its mega popular in wales so it's easy for me to get to an event.

The 'Le Jog' (Lands End to John O Groats) classic rally will pass by your way and that is definately worth a look out for. Its a historic event but has some very good drivers in it and is a monster of an event that winds its way up the country. check out the tinterwed as always if you want to find out any info.

Will be writing soon about basic navigation rallies like 'scatter rallies' and '12 cars' that give you a starter into the world of rallying....and then on to more advanced events as and when i do them!!!!!

#30 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the info, I have never heard of the Hughes Rally in Kent despite living here all my life!
Do you know if it is spectator friendly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users