Photo

Get You And Your Mini Into Rallying......

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#31 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the info, I have never heard of the Hughes Rally in Kent despite living here all my life!
Do you know if it is spectator friendly?

The Tour of Cheshire had a spectator specific area on their website to direct speccies around, but was more to help view the cars on the road. To be honest, the best places to spectate are at the special tests as its there that the cars are 'giving it some'. Best thing to do would be to contact the organisers nearer the time and they may let you know where and what time the cars are due at venues.

The only trouble is, some organisers might not want to tell you the locations of venues as they try and keep stuff like that secret so the crews don't try and work out the route. But usually the organisers will be more than willing to help you.

#32 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the info, I have never heard of the Hughes Rally in Kent despite living here all my life!

The Tour of Cheshire had a spectator specific area on their website to direct speccies around, but was more to help view the cars on the road. To be honest, the best places to spectate are at the special tests as its there that the cars are 'giving it some'. Best thing to do would be to contact the organisers nearer the time and they may let you know where and what time the cars are due at venues.

The only trouble is, some organisers might not want to tell you the locations of venues as they try and keep stuff like that secret so the crews don't try and work out the route. But usually the organisers will be more than willing to help you.

Best thing to do is to offer to marshal on an event.

#33 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Superb suggestion by Cooperman (as always) there.

If anyone wants to get into motorsport of any sort, a good way 'in' is mashalling. Without marshal's, events won't happen....and you get a up close view of the action. Plus you get to know how an event works, and get familiar with the format so when you do compete it's all second nature.

Marshalling, competeing, organising...there is a bit of motorsport for everyone.

Have to say, the marshal's on the Tour of Cheshire were fantastic......having far too much fun for my liking though.....ha ha!!! (thats for you Pete)

#34 jackx998

jackx998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Next year for me :-) I would love to come and watch this year though.

Bit of a long way from St. Austell though bro. Sounds like the start of a road trip?

Certainly worth the trip as North Wales is beautiful and the run along the A5 from Llangollen to Bangor is one of my favourites....kinda going the wrong way mind you but certainly worth it and then looping back through mid wales. Let me know if you want any more info on either the rally or places to stay, things to see etc...lived in that area a long time and know it well.

Also, if you want to make a week out of it, the Plains rally run by my motor club is happening the weekend after (18th) out of Welshpool, so you could get to see some very quick rally cars there give it the beans through forestry. Not sure but there may be a historic class so again, mini's might be out.

Ha yes it is quite a way away, would be a nice little scenic trip though and my missus wouldn't mind it either maybe a bit short notice this May but there's nothing stopping me coming to watch an event later on in the season.

I don't really know much about the rally scene so I think it'd be good to try and come along to watch and see what it's all about, especially the non historic events as my mini is five years to young to compete in the HRCR so I'd like to see what sort of motors are being used in the beginners class and so on, I'm glad you've shared all this info because I would have never even thought of giving rallying a go.

I'm glad you are finding the info useful...i had doubts that anyone was actually reading this so nice to hear positive feedback.

The HRCR events and the 'normal' road rally events are very different beasts. One thing that they both have in common (if your car was old enough) is that you can use your every day mini and not some special stage prepared monster hidden away in a garage. Granted, you would probably want to fit some extras like sump guard and spotlights and perhaps if you are really keen run the brake and fuel lines inside (or protect them underneath) but thats about it. You don't NEED a roll cage or bucket seats or harnesses, but i've fitted them for peace of mind and personnal safety...plus the wife is my navigator and if anything happened to her i would never forgive myself.

I'm sure there are some road rallies near to you. I only know of the ones up this way and its mega popular in wales so it's easy for me to get to an event.

The 'Le Jog' (Lands End to John O Groats) classic rally will pass by your way and that is definately worth a look out for. Its a historic event but has some very good drivers in it and is a monster of an event that winds its way up the country. check out the tinterwed as always if you want to find out any info.

Will be writing soon about basic navigation rallies like 'scatter rallies' and '12 cars' that give you a starter into the world of rallying....and then on to more advanced events as and when i do them!!!!!

Well I have been reading the info you've posted and it's very helpful.

The fact that you can use an everyday car in these events make it quite appealing to me + I don't want to be looking like a boy racer in my mini so she'll be kept looking standard'ish, I've got quite a few bits to do to my project to make it safe for rallying, including the parts you mentioned + I need to convert the steel flip front back to a solid front end and get rid of the coilovers on the back end.

I have a lot to learn and I don't want to jump into all this blind so ill be taking my time with things.

I'll be looking out for the "le jog" in the meantime and do a bit more research to see if there's any non historic events down this neck of the woods and try go and have a looksie.

Keep up the good work dude.

#35 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Cheers man.

Another form of rallying to look out for is 'Endurance Rallying'. Cooperman on here ran a cooper (funny that) a few years back in those evnts....might be worth dropping him a PM and getting his take on it. Or if he'll do a little write up on this post when the time comes, it'll describe another rallying disipline.

Good luck and get working on yer car.....2014 season is only 8 months away!!!!!

#36 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

That's exactly what I would have said.

#37 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

As Dave said above. I did prepare a 1990 Cooper 1275 for Endurance Rallying. This is for cars of up to 1400 cc with standard engine and gearbox and I thought a Mini would be fun.
I did do the preparation as thoroughly as completely as the regulations allow and the 'blueprinted' engine with HIF44 (as standard) gives 84 bhp at 5800 rpm. I bored it to +0.060" as permitted and I will confess that I fitted a 3.44 FDR plus a few other 'tweeks'. I fitted new competition cones and raised it up a bit.
I only did one event in it, the 1800 mile long RAC Revival Rally in Nov. 2004. Out of 120 starters we were lying 7th overall at the start of the last private road test where I hit a kurb 3 miles from the end and broke the suspension!!!!!
However, it was the hardest I had ever had to drive to be competitive, so I sold the Mini and bought a Rover 214Si which was so much more competitive and in which some excellent results were forthcoming including a win on the Yorkshire Endurance and several 2nd & 3rd places overall.
But a Mini can still be great fun on Endurance Rallies so take a look at the Endurance Rally web-site. If anyone wants one I can send them a build sheet for my Endurance Mini. Here is a photo of it on the RAC Revival:
H650LJN003.jpg.html]Posted Image[/URL]
And one of my Rover nicely sideways on gravel on the Yorkshire:
Posted Image

#38 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

And don't forget, for most (if not all) night road rallies these days, each crew has to supply at least one marshal to be able to start - so you'll always be in demand (& usually get a goody bag from the organisers too!!)

Marshalling on road rallies is really good fun too!

#39 KRM_Simon

KRM_Simon

Previously known as 'bigsimonb'.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Cooperman: what are endurance rallies? are they similar to event like the berwick and ilkley but longer?

Cheers

Simon

#40 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Go to: http://www.endurance-rallying.co.uk/ This site gives full details and links to specific event regulations. Basically the cars are up to 1400 cc with standard engines and boxes. The car of choice is still the Rover 214Si/Rover 25/MG-ZR. Far cheaper to prep than a Mini, less expensive to buy, less liable to be rusty and capable of winning outright with the right crew. I've now sold mine, but if I were wanting to go 'Endurance Rallying' again it would be in a Rover.

#41 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Thought it was time that I add a bit on here about "navigation basics". As Dave has mentioned before a navigator has a very important role within a rally car that can easily overlooked. So here are a few of the basics....

You will need;
A good pencil (2b's are perfect for plotting)
OS Landranger Map (1:50 000)
And a roamer (see below)
Posted Image

How to plot a map reference
Ok what is a map reference? Well at its basics it's a series of numbers which defines a place on the map. Most road rallies and classic rallies use 6 or 8 digit references but to begin with we will concentrate on 6 digit ones for now
Lets have a look at a map
Posted Image
You will notice all around the map a series of numbers, some going vertically and some horizontally
The horizontal numbers are known as "eastings" (going up in numbers to the east)
The verticall ones are known as "northings" ( going up in numbers to the north)
Each individual square on the map is called a "grid square"
Each blue line between the squares is called a "grid line"

First rule of plotting is you plot the eastings first then the northing or how I was taught was "you crawl before you can stand up"

Ok let's plot a grid square. No tools needed!
Ok the reference we will use is 58,01
If you have plotted it correctly the square should have the number 126 in the centre of the square!

For the next step we need the " roamer" I use. Have a look at it, there's a lot of information on it but I will keep to the basics for now
Posted Image
To plot 6 figure references we need to use the top right hand corner
Posted Image
You can see it breaks the square into 10ths. These are the next number in a 6 digit reference
For example; using the previous square for the next reference
The map reference we are going to plot is 584,015(1/2)
(I know it doesn't look like a 6 digit one but they do include halves and sometimes quarters)

So we know the grid square is the first 2 digits in the reference. Using the roamer on the 58 grid line measure in 4 to the east, then 5 1/2 to the north ( as below)
Posted Image
And that is a basic map reference. On a modern road rally you will have pages of map references like these to plot to make sure your on the right route( see below for an example)
Posted Image

Hope this hasn't been too confusing, Si

Edited by minisi35, 15 April 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#42 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

I have always enjoyed navigating and it was what I was best at. Maps are fascinating and navigating is a total challenge. I have always driven rallies as well, and I used to do national and internationals as a navigator and regional championship events as a driver. In my Minis on Historic events I've navigated and driven, but I've always driven on Endurance Rallies with my son navigating.
Sitting with a totally committed top-level driver who is driving at his maximum ability on a twisty and demanding road, possibly with big drops off the edge, whilst you read the road from pace notes or from an Ordnance Survey map certainly polarises one's mind a bit ;D .

#43 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

Superb Si......cheers for your post.....hopefully we've inspired a few people to get out there and have a go.

#44 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Reading this topic with great interest. Despite being a motor club member for many years my experience is all in marshalling on stage rallies.

So Dave you said earlier:

The HRCR events and the 'normal' road rally events are very different beasts.

As you may remember I attended the HRCR rally school, so what is the difference between their events and normal road rallies? Other than you need to put your lights on!!

#45 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Reading this topic with great interest. Despite being a motor club member for many years my experience is all in marshalling on stage rallies.

So Dave you said earlier:

The HRCR events and the 'normal' road rally events are very different beasts.

As you may remember I attended the HRCR rally school, so what is the difference between their events and normal road rallies? Other than you need to put your lights on!!

HRCR events (or similar historic stuff) tend to be alot slower as they are held on open roads during the day - quite low average speeds like 21mph for example. These are the regularity sections anyway. The 'Tests' are alot faster as its a flat out, give it some welly test against the clock.....these are held on private land.

Normal (night time) road rallies are held on open roads at night and competative sections must be run after midnight. They also have a low average speed of 30mph (correct me if i'm wrong peeps) but the routes are so twisty and complicated (taking in farm yards and rough white roads) that to average 30mph you have to be pushing hard! Also complicated junction approaches are used aswell as passage controls where they'll stop you are all there to slow you down and make 'clearing' (not dropping any time) the route harder. Special tests are also used on private land...similar to above really but at night.

They are similar events really but night rallies are faster and rougher and held at antisocial times!!!!.....still good fun though!

Hope this answers yer question?.....if not let me know and i'll reply a bit more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users