#91 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

20151011_124955_zpsrxqjhzhq.jpg

Errrmmmm.....What's the deal with the alternator bracket?  Not seen one like that before?

#92 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

Dynamo (or A+) bracket modified to suit an alternator on an A series block by use of a long spacer tube.

#93 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

Dynamo (or A+) bracket modified to suit an alternator on an A series block by use of a long spacer tube.

Int that just a pants way of doing it though?  Surely an A series bracket would mean the long ally spacer thing (which looks like a weak link in my eyes) could be dumped. 

#94 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

I didn't say it was the best way - I would source the correct A series bracket as it would provide much better support.

#95 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

The alternator bracket (or lack of) was a bodge way back when the engine was swapped. (By the way I was hoping you might all notice my shiny red hoses rather than the unpainted block and rubbish spacer :gimme: )

The car started off as a 1098. I then purchased an MOT failure Austin 1300 (remember them???) and so we took the 1300 engine and dropped on top of the 1098 box. I remember at the time nothing would turn and it was because the drop gears were wrong. So purchased a second hand set from MED of all people. Thinking back the 1300 probably had a dynamo? So we ended up with a bit of a gap! You may be surprised to learn it did 2 single venue stage rallies with this set-up?

This mix and match of gearbox and engine has caused me some issues when we replaced the rad. As mentioned earlier, Clubmans (or is that just 1275GT's) are supposed to have brackets that put the rad further away from the engine. I found that the new rad didn't fit my old cowling so ended up with a new one and the top bracket sort of fitted, but was putting a lot of strain on the rubber grommets. So bought a 1275gt one which is better, but rad seems to be at a bit of an angle, so think the bottom brackets maybe incorrect and the fan does not really sit in the cowling, so probably lacks a spacer?? And so the list goes on. Oh another point of interest. The Austin 1300 ran an expansion tank, which I have not refitted this time round, but noticed that although the leaks are now sorted it had lost some water after a decent run?

However, the plan is to replace this engine as this was just dropped back in to get the thing running. The debate is what to put in and what is it going to cost ? ;-)  

#96 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

I then purchased an MOT failure Austin 1300 (remember them???)

My first ever car! Had twin SU's, wide steelies (would Cooper wheels have fitted, I seem to recall someone thinking that's what they were) a Motolita wheel & a 6 foot long fibreglass whip aerial (remember them?!) Loved that thing to bits, but it too ended its days in the scrappies when I found out the musty smell that was always present was coming from the rotting piece of plywood & couple of Daily Mirrors (yes, really!) that the previous owner had fitted in place of the passenger side floor pan...!!

Keith

#97 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

The debate is what is it going to cost ? ;-)

Answer to this is always......to much!!!!!!!

#98 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

Well, a bit of an update.

My motor club Carlton and District from Nottingham hire the Curborough sprint track for a track day in October. So only seemed right we took Baldric for a day out.

Weather was horrendous with heavy rain. So proved again that the new wipers are useless and even worse, despite a new park switch attached to the new loom they kept failing to work!

All the rear drive machines were spinning and all the fronts under steering. So Baldric with ridiculously high front end, 20 + year old tyres and rain was hilarious! Good excuse to use the handbrake though!

First picture I took, the rest are from a nice man who was taking photos on the day.
IMG_20151101_123937_zpsgyozwste.jpg

Screenshot_2015-11-28-09-41-01-1-1_zpshq

Screenshot_2015-11-28-21-43-42_zpsmo1joo

Screenshot_2015-11-28-21-43-58_zpsqx0rkd

Sorry my IT skills seem to have prevented me cropping the last couple of shots, but you might like the other thumbnails. The Porsche had 430 bhp and went of on first time out. Completely undriveable in the conditions. FairPlay to the chap who brought it, he also had a TR3A and used that for most of the day instead and had it very sideways!

#99 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:46 PM

Also finally got round to fitting the towing eyes that I bought at Stanford Hall. Oh and also lowered the front end.

20151108_094127_zpsfyi5uitp.jpg

20151108_094112_zpsyyl9q0jx.jpg

Next job is to get tyres swapped as current ones as mentioned previously are now totalled after Curborough. Think the compound may have died after 20 odd years.

Also desperate to get the suspension and geometry set up properly and also needs a rolling road tune as really does not run very well and the brakes don't inspire confidence either. They will stop the car. Was locking up at Curborough, but very little feel. I remember them being much better. Wonder whether it is the Green Stuff pads? Considering putting the old Mintex pads back in as they were far from worn out?

#100 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

.... and the brakes don't inspire confidence either. They will stop the car. Was locking up at Curborough, but very little feel. I remember them being much better. Wonder whether it is the Green Stuff pads? Considering putting the old Mintex pads back in as they were far from worn out?

We had exactly the same problem on the last Epynt hillclimb we did. Ours has Mintex rally pads in at the mo (can't remeber what the famous number is?!), so we were thinking they just weren't getting hot enough on the short runs on the climb, & I have no idea how old the pads are either. And the calipers are looking a bit worse for wear too, so I treated her to some new calipers & a set of Mintex road pads in Minisport's 'Black week long sale'! Just have to fit them now....!!

#101 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:07 PM

Hi Keith, Think the old pads were Mintex 171? Remember it used to stop well and had great feel and no servo. Have put new calipers on. Minispares Cooper s copies and the green stuff pads , but very little feel. Might be better with some new tyres as they might provide some grip which may in turn make the brake feel better, if you know what I mean?

Always something to do on a Mini!

#102 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:11 AM

1171's - that was the old rally favourite ! Have to say we had brand new Yoko A 539's on on the hillclimb - but then they might have been too new so not giving enough grip...?! After only 10 or so competitive miles & no road use they aren't even scrubbed in. 

My son & I were discussing it, & think in our case it may be the lack of a servo that's our problem - he's never driven a car with unassissted brakes before, & it's more than thirty years since I have, so again it may be that we just weren't adjusting to the different feel. Need to use it more...!!

Keith

#103 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

Bit of an update.

Bought 2 new A008 Yokos for the front and had the 3 (seem to have lost the fourth?) hardly used but old A008's taken off my shabby mini special alloys and put on to the minilites (100+ replicas) for the rear and on an old Rostyle as a spare. So at least now have some grip. Curbotough having completely finished off the very old GX501's. Must say brakes feel a bit better as a result, but not really driven in anger yet.

Then took along to Leicester Carb and injection for a tune up (couldn't find a rolling road close by). Journey there on a busy Leicester ring road was awful as it kept wanting to stall. However was well impressed with the job they did on it and the journey back was much more fun. :proud:

Not getting any chance to do much at the moment as working abroad for the last month. Next jobs to be tackled will be wheel bearings (not looking forward to that one), and then try and get the suspension set up correctly. 

#104 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

(seem to have lost the fourth?)

Do you have any tips on how to do that? I'd really like to lose the half dozen or so tyres that my son has abandoned behind my garage!!  :lol:

Keith

#105 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:08 AM

Also finally got round to fitting the towing eyes that I bought at Stanford Hall. Oh and also lowered the front end.

Wonder whether it is the Green Stuff pads? Considering putting the old Mintex pads back in as they were far from worn out?

I had some "green Stuff" pads in mine and had one of the biggest moments of my life! I have always used mintex m1144 pads but the green stuff came with the alloy 4 pot set up I bought so I gave them a go. Long story short the pad material degraded and had no brakes while out testing. Pure luck that the car wasn't damaged but I will never use them again and wouldn't recommend them at all. MIntex all the way!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users