47 replies to this topic

#31 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Careful Bungle, you're only allowed an opinion if it agrees with certain members.

#32 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

To be fair, those problems look like have been occurred by running too low and the sidewall being cut by the arches, granted it wouldn't have happened if the tyres were the right size, but you can't blame it completely on the tyres being stretched

#33 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

stretchgonebadxe4_zps67f11e4d.jpg

mFEuOUTO.jpg

noriyaro_nagoya_exciting_car_showdown_20

157639d1362247686-new-stretching-need-so

yep that looks both cool and safe

for a start, if your driving like an idiot, expect problems. 

secondly not everyone likes the same stuff.

and it completely depends on the degree of the stretching and angle of camber which are on these wheels, as many cars come of the production line like it now. for example, the twingo rs and the scirocco rs. 

you are looking up the extremities of it. the extremities of anything is bad. to many oranges which are very good for you. make you go to the toilet a lot for example.

#34 Minidarren83

Minidarren83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

To be fair, those problems look like have been occurred by running too low and the sidewall being cut by the arches, granted it wouldn't have happened if the tyres were the right size, but you can't blame it completely on the tyres being stretched

Completely agree with this. I have run stretched tyres before on both my golfs and used to drive pretty hard never experienced any sort of tyre failure yes too much and too low can be dangerous and stretch at all us not advised by manufacturers but a little won't hurt not 175 on an 8" wheels you will be luckyto achieve stretch with this let alone become a bublic hazard lol

#35 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Its just a Marmite situation, you either love it or hate it. Simple as that.

#36 DougieMc

DougieMc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Check my build thread if your after photos of 8x13s on stretch

#37 ian2000t

ian2000t

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

God, all those look awful - although the broken ones made me laugh a bit to be honest!

Also, I call BS on the German racing drivers story...how can a wider wheel with the same tyre give more grip? In actual fact it would probably give less grip as the sidewall of the tyre cannot act as designed to when it's at 45 degrees!

#38 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

God, all those look awful - although the broken ones made me laugh a bit to be honest!

Also, I call BS on the German racing drivers story...how can a wider wheel with the same tyre give more grip? In actual fact it would probably give less grip as the sidewall of the tyre cannot act as designed to when it's at 45 degrees!

No but it will prevent the tyre moving around so much on the rim. On a racetrack, with suspension set up to suit, this could be beneficial.

#39 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

www.lateststancenews.tumblr.com

#40 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

No but it will prevent the tyre moving around so much on the rim. On a racetrack, with suspension set up to suit, this could be beneficial.

Unlikely, the sidewall angle is such that the contact patch of the tyre will be less than if the sidewall was in the correct position, plus the tyre doesnt want to be a solid object and needs to move slightly to provide the best contact patch size available, also if this was benefical on racing cars then you would see it on racing cars, and you dont :)

FYI this is a 165 yoko a008 on a 10x7.5 rim,

525428_10201180479214706_211005852_n.jpg

Edited by Alex_B, 10 June 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#41 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Don't believe this for one second. The major tyre companies have spent millions and millions over the years testing, if that was the case it would have become standard . The reason you don't see it on race cars is twofold, 1, its all about performance not looks, 2, you would never get it past the scrutineers. If you build race cars you look for any angle that might give even a tiny advantage. I know we do, in fact more time is spent on being within the rules, but in a way that we think others won't think of, than pretty much anything else. If it was an advantage someone would try it and being obvious everyone would copy it. The fact that this does not happen makes me confident that it 100% isn't the case.

If you like it that's up to you, but I am not convinced your insurance will be happy fitting tyres not in accordance with manufacturers limits. And that could mean if you do have a smash you may find yourself uninsured. Whether that is worth the risk is up to you.

#42 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm officially old then, because this sure looks weird to me O_O

EuroGolfProject0409.jpg

i must admit that i too am a stance lover.

going slightly off topic here but i dont believe that stance should be measured by how much camber and stretch you have, it should be judged by how well the car sits, and if u need a bit of camber and stretch to make it sit right then im all for it. hell, im running camber and some stretch on my mini. 

basically, imo i think stretch looks good but only in moderation. the stretch in this pic is way too much for me, but i understand that i could look appropriate on the right car, and yes im aware that it makes you car handle worse, but as its been said before, if you dont drive like an idiot then all will be well

#43 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Don't believe this for one second. The major tyre companies have spent millions and millions over the years testing, if that was the case it would have become standard . The reason you don't see it on race cars is twofold, 1, its all about performance not looks, 2, you would never get it past the scrutineers. If you build race cars you look for any angle that might give even a tiny advantage. I know we do, in fact more time is spent on being within the rules, but in a way that we think others won't think of, than pretty much anything else. If it was an advantage someone would try it and being obvious everyone would copy it. The fact that this does not happen makes me confident that it 100% isn't the case.

If you like it that's up to you, but I am not convinced your insurance will be happy fitting tyres not in accordance with manufacturers limits. And that could mean if you do have a smash you may find yourself uninsured. Whether that is worth the risk is up to you.

Woahza, you really went all out on that reply!  :bah:

Loving the way you automatically presume that i am one of those who care all about looks, and not performance! I too build race cars, and rally cars, more of the latter but have had fairly major parts in some of the UKs most successful Time Attack cars, and i've specced several drift cars for the ODC and BDC, although that part is fairly irrelevant for this. Right, thats the willy waving out of the way then.

I don't know about you, but whenever i'm building cars for competition and conforming to regulations, whether that be MSA/FIA/BDC... We are always looking for ways to push the boundaries of said rules, not just stay safely within them.

Anyway, i too think stretched tyres are pants, and have never really got the whole point of them. I have seen overly stretched tyres fail on rims, but i have seen a hell of a lot more people standing around saying "No way should you run 215s on that 8j rim, thats so dangerous!!!" with the person there talking to having run similar set ups for years. At the end of the day, its up to you, be aware of the risks, and don't go over the limit, and you'll be fine. I prefer a bit of a bulge in my tyre choice, but oh noooo, i dont want to get flamed again!!!  :lol:

Edited by Tahiti Joe, 10 June 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#44 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

My bad the German story was with deep dish and tubbing. Stretch is from drifting. They use it to make the car slide at slower speeds. So in a way your handling wont be as good but its also a style option. Some people want cars for how they drive, others want them for their looks. Just leave it alone. If you don't like then you don't like it, but others do so the amount you hate it could be the amount another person likes it. 

#45 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I have some 10 x 7's with 032R's, I can dig them out if you really need a picture but I imagine there is plenty above/on here, let me know if you want them! 

Also have 195's on some 13 x 8's but that's harder to find a picture of now! 

Edited by Globule, 10 June 2013 - 10:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users