#481 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

Thanks guys :) As much as I love it, I'd quite like to stop having to make excuses for the paint. And after seeing the bonnet and bootlid, I'm sold on the colour. I'm still liking the idea of a contrast roof though.

Quick run through will be a complete strip down, replacement of entire front end inner wings and all with a heritage front end (hate flip fronts) because of it being all bent sadly rather than rusty! haha. and I think an entire floor, but not heritage, cause I hate the mpi floor pans they supply. So maybe m machine half floors.
Front floor pans are nasty welded in jobbies, and the oversills are gonna be hiding evils!

I actually now due to circumstances have quite a bit of time on my hands so I hope to crack on when I get space. I also have an engine rebuild of my dad's 1275 GT, and the complete restoration of as my name suggests my 72 Clubman!

Joe

Edited by 72clubman, 11 October 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#482 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

I read through all of this this evening. Incredible stuff. Really got me itching to get cracking on my mini, and I'd just spent all afternoon on mine! Can't wait to see what it will look like in the new/original colour. I looked at a Clubman Estate in that colour once. Great colour for them but it was in a terrible state...

#483 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

I'm hopefully getting a new garage in the next few weeks so hopefully lots more mini-ing to come! 

I actually saw an unrestored 1275 GT in this colour at Himley Hall earlier in the year, really seemed to suit the car.

Must have been a similar state to mine before someone decided to paint it green! Maybe the metallic was too expensive for a respray! 

Joe

#484 StuM

StuM

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

https://flic.kr/p/zUGdP9

:-)

#485 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Finally print famous!

When it's restored I definitely think it'll be article worthy.

Gets its new home on Friday!

Joe

#486 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hopefully it'll have a full feature article one day!

K

#487 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:29 PM

I had a GT in this colour back in the day. Never liked the colour and going against what has been said it never really suited the GT at the time. Perhaps from a retro perspective it might? The must have colours at the time were Black, Java and the must have 1980 colour vermillion with a black roof :) Just my thoughts having lived with it and having had it painted twice in the same colour.

It's the most difficult thing to choose a colour. Looking forward to the rebuild and the pics. I still have the original bonnet stay somewhere in the garage in the correct colour :) May put it on mine as a link to my first car.

#488 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:36 PM

Great car full of character. I think if I was going to the trouble of a full respray I would go back to a factory colour and I would keep the roof the same colour as the body as it would have been when it left the factory. Everyone goes for a contrasting roof now. I had a '78 1275GT in Vermillion with a 1380 engine went like stink. It had the same grey striped interior as yours. Good luck with the respray which ever way you decide to go with the colour.

#489 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:43 PM

I think I've said to Joe before in the thread, I believe ours was originally in the colour he's going for - things like the insides of the screen pillars are still painted in it! I have to admit I also don't like it overmuch, but whatever colour Joe decides on, I bet the finished car will be lovely!

If we had the budget, I'd respray ours in Inca yellow!

#490 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for your thoughts guys, it's always good to get a second, third and fourth opinion :) I know what you mean about the colour, but I think it's got to return for the sake of originality.
If I where to paint it any colour I think I'd have to go for black, to match my uncles car that inspired me.
My dad even suggested painting it nicely in green. So lots of options.

It's a long way from paint!

I'm a much bigger fan of the earlier GT colours, black tulip,aqua etc. But I'm not a fan of painting a later car an earlier colour, doesn't sit well on 12s.

As a controversial view I've never been a fan of blaze/vermillion! When I was looking at mk3 S's we pretty much discounted it if it was blaze.

As for the roof I definitely see where you're coming from slidehammer, it's certainly not set in stone. So may well keep a body coloured roof.

Ahh you'd love my dad's other GT then keefr22! It's so yellow! He still can't decide if he even likes it! He couldn't not buy it though, the shell was so good! engine not so much, I'm currently rebuilding that for him.

Joe

Edited by 72clubman, 26 October 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#491 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:35 PM

After 11 months of feeling guilty leaving the poor mini outside under a car cover, it's finally inside! 

DSC_1587_zpsdyhpepxp.jpg

Now I just need to work out what the hell I'm doing with it! 

Joe

#492 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:43 PM

Now that's what you call a garage!

Keith, very jealous in Swansea with a prefab concrete thing with only a couple of feet either side of the Mini!

#493 ger

ger

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Local Club: M4 Minis

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

Luxurious garage that  :proud:

#494 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

We all need a garage like that :-)

#495 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

Only problem would be finding the Mini in the morning!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users