66 replies to this topic

#16 The Otter

The Otter

The artist formally known as j322overthetop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

My parents had one of these when I first took interest in cars. The susp drops when you park, so no wheel clamps can be put on if I remember correctly? ;D

Mine had one from new, had a recurring habit of emptying it's hydraulic fluid over the road and the suspension staying down when you turn the engine back on!

Mine takes a good while to get itself back up again whenever I start it up, hoping it's nothing to worry about! Moves nice and smoothly when it does get going though, and such a comfy ride :D I know a guy that knows these cars inside out, so if there are any big problems then I've got a good contact  ;D If it's still going after all these miles and years I'll hope it's had any big issues ironed out by now, and it's been well looked after mechanically so I'm not too worried about it for the forseeable future!

#17 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

My Mum had a BX years ago. I used to use it all the time. Had some fond memories of it oddly enough! There is nothing like going round a corner at a relatively high speed and the car staying perfectly level instead of falling out of the seat!!

I remember I worked at an accident repair centre at the time and some burk came in after filling his diesel car up with petrol so he paid us to drain it and I ran the BX on it for a fortnight with no major issues!!

Ha Ha good times

Ben

#18 crazypainter

crazypainter

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

I have one of them in grey sat in a garage!

#19 The Otter

The Otter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Haha, seems there are a fair few of you with fond memories of BXs.  :D

I have one of them in grey sat in a garage!

Ooh, what model is it? Got any plans for it?  :proud:

Now, for the exterior. It's covered in lots of scratches and little dents, which is perfect because then I don't care if anyone in the supermarket car park puts another dent in it  :lol: There's loads of bits of mould growing on all the exterior plastics, along with a nice chunk of green fuzziness on the underside of the spoiler, but I'm slowly getting rid of that with a bit of vinyl/rubber cleaner. Once I've cleaned up all the plastics I'll have a go with some boiled linseed oil to try and make them a bit black again, gotta hate grey plastic!

The spoiler is devoid of some of its lacquer.

IMG_1083_zps2ca2a5bd.jpg

The roof is devoid of almost all its lacquer.

IMG_1082_zps52683eac.jpg

As mentioned previously, it had roof bars on when I bought it. Comically, when I took them off the aerial did this.

IMG_1081_zps81ca90fa.jpg

It flopped straight on to the roof, as the front roof bar had been keeping it in position  >_< It could be propped up completely straight, but it would then just fall over and make you jump when you started driving and heard a tinny smack on the roof.

So, I "fixed" it with some blu tac.

IMG_1097_zps6e33577f.jpg

IMG_1098_zps25fd6ea4.jpg

Taking the roof bars off also revealed rather obvious patches where the bars have been on a while, not that it really matters at the moment when the rest of roof looks as bad as it does, but I'll still try and polish them out sometime anyway.

IMG_1092_zps17448dd8.jpg

It's got cracked rear light lenses, this one being the worst.

IMG_1090_zps3c04a46e.jpg

Also, the GB sticker you can see above has turned in to a flaky piece of brittle plastic and looks a bit crap, so I'll try and get that off sometime. It might mean I need to repaint that satin black part of the panel, but all of the satin black bits around the doors are pretty faded anyway and starting to turn white, so it could do with a bit of a black recoat all over.

Now, a quick look under the bonnet at the only major rust I can find. It's a little flaky on this side, but not too bad.

IMG_1093_zpsb83e9e1c.jpg

This side is a bit softer unfortunately.

IMG_1094_zps3c7cd60a.jpg

Yep, that's a hole.

IMG_1095_zpscbd5fb90.jpg

Still, nothing compared to a Mini so I'm not bothered by it at all! A day with the welder should see it looking good as new.

Ooh, a diesel engine...

IMG_1096_zpsa03279d7.jpg

One other thing to note is that all four tyres are different brands, I've got a Dunlop, a Pirelli, a Firestone, and a Nexen. So one day I might get it an actual matching set of tyres, but they're all legal and they all hold air so it's nothing to worry about for a while.

Well, that's the overview of the car done, the next updates shall be me fixing all the niggly little things. Fun reading huh?  :mrcool: 

Thanks for reading!

The Otter

Edited by The Otter, 18 June 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#20 Moggyton

Moggyton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Local Club: Stone mini club

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

It is fun to read! A full respray and it would be brand new :P

#21 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

It is fun to read! A full respray and it would be brand new :P

and a waste of money haha. Why did you buy this car, it is truely awfull! :D

#22 paul_s

paul_s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

My parents have always had Citroens. First car I remember was a beige BX hatch like this, A reg (they bought it a few months before I was born). 

I remember them having a TZD estate, I'd forgotten about all the luxuries like the felt coin tray! 

Does yours have 'remote' central locking? I remember it was infra red and virtually useless..

#23 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

My friend had one of the early ones - a BX16TRS. It had the really weird switchgear in "pods" instead of column stalks. Took a while to get used to. Nice car though (in 1992) I am guessing it is long gone now... :wacko:

Edited by MrBounce, 18 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#24 crazypainter

crazypainter

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Mine is a 1.9RD has done like 170k not rotten and one owner from new (my old man) like I say its sat in a garage and we are unsure what to do with it, you interested?

#25 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

These are cool :) My friend had a diesel xantia till he crashed it into someone.. though before that he forgot to put Antifreeze in and had a permanent leak and no heater!  >_<

I have a renault 21 estate and its in much worse condition than this (and Petrol so only 33mpg!!)  :( But i did get it free so can't complain too much.. 

#26 The Otter

The Otter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Does yours have 'remote' central locking? I remember it was infra red and virtually useless..

Nope, I think mine (TXD) is the model just below top spec (TZD), so it doesn't have the really fancy features, but the central locking on the key still works fine which I'm happy about  :D It's funny, I've got remote central locking on the Mini but not on this  :P

and a waste of money haha. Why did you buy this car, it is truely awfull! :D

That's why I like it so much, it's awful and cheap and flimsy and so very French - that's what makes it different and interesting! Mint BXs are just starting to become valuable now (over £2k for really really good ones) so who knows, maybe they'll rocket up in value soon  ;-) (I can dream  :rolleyes:)

Mine is a 1.9RD has done like 170k not rotten and one owner from new (my old man) like I say its sat in a garage and we are unsure what to do with it, you interested?

If you would have asked me before I'd bought this I might've been interested haha, but unless I got it for free then I doubt I could justify clogging up my dads drive with two old Citroens  :P Unfortunately it's only really worth scrap value without tax and test, but at least the 1.9RD is one of the more desirable engines/models so somebody out there might give you around £150 for it if it's in good condition otherwise. If you've got the time then breaking it for parts would probably be the best way to make some money, these cars are getting rare now and there aren't many places to buy spares. We get spoilt with Minis, being able to essentially build a whole new car from off the shelf bits from Minispares  :lol:

These are cool :) My friend had a diesel xantia till he crashed it into someone.. though before that he forgot to put Antifreeze in and had a permanent leak and no heater!  >_<

I have a renault 21 estate and its in much worse condition than this (and Petrol so only 33mpg!!)   :( But i did get it free so can't complain too much.. 

Not many Renault 21s left around, hello obscure old French car friend  :D

#27 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

I have a renault 21 estate and its in much worse condition than this (and Petrol so only 33mpg!!)   :( But i did get it free so can't complain too much.. 

Not many Renault 21s left around, hello obscure old French car friend  :D

Aha! Thanks :) 

#28 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

I always fancied a CX estate! now that's an obscure French car!

Mind you my first car was an early Citroen AX 5 door TRE so top of the range!! Now that was weird compared to the stuff my mates drove. It had the single spoke steering wheel and very quirky styling inside and out. I loved it though!!

#29 paul_s

paul_s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

I've always quite liked the CX too. Again, my first car was an AX, but a 3 door Debut: 954cc engine, 4 gears, tape player only had fast forward, and a clock instead of a rev counter. Sounds familiar....

I'll be watching this to see how it progresses :)

#30 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

the BX gti16v was immense! 170hp std and pretty aerodynamic with good handling.

wiring on these is a nightmare, all the wires are yellow.... now colour coding except a few black earth wires.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users