17 replies to this topic

#1 NikkiJones93

NikkiJones93

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'm looking for help with my Rover Mini City Auto 89.

It failed the MOT last week. Most problems are easy fixes. Fog light out, needs new rubber bushes, exhaust leaky.

The main problem is the Sub-frame and suspension?

The MOT certificate says;

• Nearside Rear (Inner Wheel arch) Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded.
  • Offside rear (Inner wheel arch) suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded.   
  • Nearside rear (Floor) subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded. 
  • Nearside front (floor) Subframe mounting prescribed are is excessively corroded. 
  • Offside front (inner wheel arch) subframe mounting prescribed are is excessively corroded.

• Offside front (floor) subframe mounting prescribed are is excessively corroded

Any ideas what this what cost to get fixed? Is it worth it? 

#2 NikkiJones93

NikkiJones93

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Any help is really appreciated!

#3 mini=love

mini=love

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Sounds like the back end is pretty rotted, some pics might help, but from the mot fail it sounds like both rear arches, boot floor and heel board.

This means rear subframe out and a lot of welding, but if you post up some pics we might have a better idea

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

This all sounds like a rear subframe out job with repairs to the rear heelboard both sides and possibly inner sill as well. The front floor can be done without the subframe being removed.

Price wise, well this depends a lot on what needs to be done. Its not a simple fix and will be expensive. Its not a write off by any means, it just needs some TLC.

Can you weld or do you know somebody who can. Also are you handy with spanners etc or again do you know somebody who is??.

#5 NikkiJones93

NikkiJones93

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

I will take some pics when I get home. Yes I do know a mechanic who lives nearby. He has a garage and can weld but I'm worried about price. I'm wondering whether it 

would be better to get rid of it now for 500. Is it worth fixing it and getting MOT to sell? 

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Whats the rest of the car like condition wise??

#7 NikkiJones93

NikkiJones93

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Its really well kept. Outside is perfect other than a minor spot of rust by the headlight. Inside is great too! its got lesss than 29,000 miles and it runs fairly well.

#8 mini=love

mini=love

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Im fairly sure that it will be costing you over the £500 suggested, where are you located?

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Its really well kept. Outside is perfect other than a minor spot of rust by the headlight. Inside is great too! its got lesss than 29,000 miles and it runs fairly well.

Well its really worth saving then. the subframe will either come of easily and take about an hour or so (fuel lines, brake lines, brake cables etc to be released) if however the front mounts are shot then the bolts may end up spinning as the captive nuts could have rusted off the back of the heelboard. this will take that much longer to sort out.

The welding side of it can be easy enough for somebody who is experienced with mini's but if not then again that will take extra time. Its one of those jobs that needs to be done correctly and in the right sequence as its a critical area of the car.

I think £500 is a ball park figure but may be more maybe less. It really does depend on how bad the rust is.

#10 NikkiJones93

NikkiJones93

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sorry the pics are not to great am In a rush atm 

Attached Files

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Ahh its the arch thats crusty so it could be repaired by patching or the old rust cut out and new sections welded in. There should be no reason for the subframe to come out for any of this.

In my honest opinion i would go for a complete inner arch replacement for the long term but the short term patching could be the quickest

way to get it back on the road. 

#12 NikkiJones93

NikkiJones93

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

I live in Merthyr, and that does sound like a lot :/ Although I suppose in the end it will be worth it. 

#13 Old Bob

Old Bob

TMF Menber Passed On R.I,P

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

As a rough guide, £500.00 sounds reasonable.  Depends if you have to pay commercial hourly rates for labour or if you can do it yourself or get a friend to help.

Bob

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

A complete arch replacement although a large job should not cost £500. It will take roughly two hours to drill out all of the spot welds, an hour or so cleaning everything up maybe longer if there are any repairs to do then about two hours to weld back in place. Then another hour or so sealing, painting.

This does not take into consideration time to remove anything else like fuel tanks, rear seat etc.

#15 NikkiJones93

NikkiJones93

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I'm taking the mini down today so fingers crossed!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users