Photo
- - - - -

Brake Fluid Leak Help - Calming Words Please!

brakes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

I am at the end of my tether with this...

Car is ready for an MoT but it has a brake fluid leak...

It is coming from the 2-way union that incorporates the brake light switch (the car is a 1973 1275 GT).

I have had it all apart at least ten times (which includes removing the remote servo and solenoid each time).

I was so angry the last time that I ordered all new copper washers, nuts and new braided hoses.

Of course, once it is assembled it is impossible to see where the fluid is leaking from, the join to the brake hose, the union, the banjo bolt or the switch...

Is this a common problem? What should I be looking for here please...?

Thanks in advance, I really am ready to bin the whole bloody thing now....

#2 rubinio

rubinio

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Clean with brake cleaner so it is dry then use a bit of paper towel to wipe the joints, any moisture will show up in the towel and indicate the source of the leak, you may need to apply alight pressure to force the leak to identify it, get someone else to do this whilst you leak check. its likely that whilst you,ve replaced copper washers there is some corrosion preventing them from sealing correctly

#3 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Clean with brake cleaner so it is dry then use a bit of paper towel to wipe the joints, any moisture will show up in the towel and indicate the source of the leak, you may need to apply alight pressure to force the leak to identify it, get someone else to do this whilst you leak check. its likely that whilst you,ve replaced copper washers there is some corrosion preventing them from sealing correctly

Thanks...

Have just cleaned it all off again with brake cleaner to give it another go (for the 4,857th time)...

All parts are now new - hoses, washers, 2-way union, banjo bolt and brake-light switch...

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Been there with Paddy, its down to how clean it all is. Sometimes you have to tweak it just that little more. I thought i was going too tight but it needed just that little bit more. This was with new aeroquip stainless braided hoses as well.

#5 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Make sure that nothing has been cross threaded. It is easy to tighten up the brake lines when they are cross threaded and for them to feel ok as if it wasn't crossed.

#6 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for your support guys...

I tweaked up the two unions a smidgeon and it is now perfect!

With hindsight (word to the wise) it would be well worth pressure testing the set-up before dropping the body back over it...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users