Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Had Experience In Removing These?

suspension

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BusheyTrader

BusheyTrader

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Local Club: Nope

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Hi,

I've put down the angle grinder and welding torch briefly to strip down the rear subframe.  As expected a number of the bolts sheared in the captive nuts despite heat and WD40 etc but its these ones that are causing problems at the moment.

Radius arm stub axles - won't undo from the subframe.  I've tried the double locknut method on the free end but nothing's budging.  According to Minispares website the threads are handed but I've allowed for that.

http://www.minispare...64.aspx|Back to

Rear Subframe Support Pin - won't budge.  If there's a specific two - pin tool that fits on the outer part I haven't found it.  There's nothing to grip on otherwise.  Do I attack it with a large mole wrench, stilson or similar? 

http://www.minispare...MS.aspx|Back to

0f09656d-3bac-415e-a5cc-2c277dea3316_zps

I've tried the search function on the forum but no luck as yet on finding a solution.

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by BusheyTrader, 22 June 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#2 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Had the same problem...

Somebody on here suggested stilson and that worked perfectly!

Bloody hell, seems like a long time ago now!

#3 Awamckay

Awamckay

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Local Club: The Faithful Few Mini Club

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

For the support pin u could try bolting the frame back up on the car just to crack the nuts off? No way of them spinning then.

#4 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

I've put down the angle grinder and welding torch briefly to strip down the rear subframe.  As expected a number of the bolts sheared in the captive nuts despite heat and WD40 etc but its these ones that are causing problems at the moment.

Radius arm stub axles - won't undo from the subframe.  I've tried the double locknut method on the free end but nothing's budging.  According to Minispares website the threads are handed but I've allowed for that.

http://www.minispare...64.aspx|Back to

Rear Subframe Support Pin - won't budge.  If there's a specific two - pin tool that fits on the outer part I haven't found it.  There's nothing to grip on otherwise.  Do I attack it with a large mole wrench, stilson or similar? 

http://www.minispare...MS.aspx|Back to

0f09656d-3bac-415e-a5cc-2c277dea3316_zps

I've tried the search function on the forum but no luck as yet on finding a solution.

Thanks,

Adam

Get a bit of flat bar, drill two holes in it at one end that match the pitch of the button, get yourself two Hilti nails and weld them in from the back....cut them off to length - (you'll need a grinder obviously).

Try to keep the heat down....

#5 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

The radius arm pin threads are not handed. heat the inside nut, cool with diesel/plusgas/wd40 and unscrew the normal way. Impressive wear on the pin by the way, has anyone ever tried grease on the suspension?

Just use a stilson in the subframe pin, it's what people have been using for years.

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

The radius arm pin is not the stub axle, that's why you have been mislead about the handed threads.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users