20 replies to this topic

#1 Mindy-Mayfair

Mindy-Mayfair

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hi, I need my mayfair completely re-spraying and was quoted £1200 at a local body shop. Is this expensive or about the right price? I haven't got a clue as I'm new to all this and I wasn't sure if they saw me coming a mile off! :proud:

Thanks

Kirsty

#2 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:34 PM

are they doing all the prep work? rubbing down, taking bits of and masking etc? is it just a solid colour or something fancy????

#3 Mindy-Mayfair

Mindy-Mayfair

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

It doesn't include the rub down as my dad was going to take care of this!

Its also just a metallic grey colour

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

if all the prep work is being done by yourselves it is VERRY expensive .
I would charge you about £400 including paint and materials (but not VAT)

#5 Mindy-Mayfair

Mindy-Mayfair

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:48 PM

Ok, thanks for that. I guess I know now I was being ripped off! :proud:

#6 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:57 PM

if they are not doing any prep work, welding etc, if doors and bonnet, bootlid are left on car, then yes, thats a very expensive paint job.

however, if they did take doors, bonnet, bootlid and windows out, maybe change of colour as well (which i gather it is) from a solid to a metallic, and even then not matter how good you dad is, a bodyshop will still do it anyway, then it does start to cost that.

come visit me, i work in bodyshop and we charge minimum £1000 for colour change. But that is all doors etc off, and any welding etc done!

If it was just a straight scottie and spray, nothing fancy then about £500 (this is done in oven)

hope that helps

Oh, and if show winner, then would expect £3000 plus

#7 beemerduck

beemerduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:23 AM

i would expect to pay

if the car is ready to spray

and what some people called prepared and a proper sprayer calls prepared are two different things !!!

just for masking up & spraying in one colour only (outside only) £300=400

for a strip and respray in and out (again one colour only / fully prepared) £500-600

for the lot prepared and sprayed ....what you were originally quoted £1200 ish

#8 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

thats the thing, to take the doors off (more than likely need new hinges) strip the doors down and paint, take the bonnet off, clean it (it will be grotty) take the bootlid off, remove all the glass. Then the seats and carpet need to come out. when you look at it that way £1,200 is cheap.

must admit, when Minis come in for that I like to paint the fuel tank, either a metallic black or body colour just as an extra that is not charged. just something i do.

If i wanted a show winner, then would pay £3000 plus, but the painter would have to give me money back if it didnt win "Best Paint" at shows.

Was at stoneleigh Kit Car Show and most of the Snakes have 3K paint jobs, but they do look stunning!

In the end, you get what you pay for (but sometimes you do get some cracking jobs for dirt cheap)

Have seen a really good paint job for £300, not stunning but defo very good!

#9 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

a grand got me this

Posted Image

and i gave them this

Posted Image

they removed all the celly primer, got out a few dents i missed, removed everything from the shell doors, subframes etc. etched primed the fiberglass bits, primered the whole car inside out. then 2packed it inside out, and laquered it. it looks better in real life than in the pics!

#10 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

i guess it depends on lots of factors

where in the country you are
what paint they use
what colour
how much prep work they need to do because what you do wont be right for the painter
etc etc

I pay between 1200-1500 for most jobs on customers cars

dave

#11 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:26 PM

Very expensive quote that one. It should have been around £400-£500 for a simple metallic grey. Prices really bump up if you want fancy paint like pearlescent which (depending on colour etc) can cost around £1200 for paint alone!

#12 prawny1

prawny1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

The price of any job depends on the amount of work involved, for instance if you drove the car there and they did everything, it would cost a lot more than if you supplied say a bare shell on a frame (big A frame thingy for painting underneath), If they were doing all the work then it will be expensive, Put it this way how much would a garage charge for changing an engine, Three hours labour at £30-£35 per hour.

#13 Mindy-Mayfair

Mindy-Mayfair

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

My car does need 2 new wings and a front panel as the rust is quite bad :'( . The bonnet and doors are pretty rusty in places but I was planning on rubbing those bits down (or rather my dad was, he had a mini 20 years ago he did up himself). Would I just be better off buying new parts rather than paying a garge to prep all the car? As you can probably tell I haven't really got a clue about all this! :errr:

#14 Jules01

Jules01

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:21 PM

They took my car apart, windows out etc, preped and re-sprayed the whole shell which was a metalic paint and solid white roof and charged £750, they took the car away for me and brought it back for me!

So yeah maybe £1200 is a bit steep!

Suppose it depends how bad the rust is, if there is alot, then probably best of either replacing or cutting out the rust. If you think, oh there is only a little bit, just give it a rub down and paint over it, it will come back and bubble through your nice new paint job :'( so with my experience cut it out, or buy new if the pannels are too rotten

Hope you find someone decent! :w00t:

Jules

#15 blitzbodyshop

blitzbodyshop

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

we can offer you a MUCH better quote for genuine work if you are still interested?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users