#1 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hello ladys, gents, and other beings that live on TMF..

i am after a distributor-less ignition system, because the radiator i have mounted on the front of the mini is fairly thick core and will not allow the right clearance, and i want it to get the best out of my engine:)  for speeds.

what systems ARE out there? i know of emerald, which is what the miglias use, but at 850 pound, its sliiightly expensive for my needs.  i know of nodiz, which is my preferance at the moment because its cheap (compared to..) and does the job!

as i have said, what else is there? any recommendations? i am running a fairly peppy engine, a 1312cc, 949+ piper cam, highly ported head, weber 45 etc etc..

cheers

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Megajolt gets mentioned a lot on here

#3 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

ive got megajolt, once you have a map that relevant to your engine then its nice and easy

#4 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

+ 1 for Megajolt.

Unit is simple, has additional outputs you can program and the ignition bits are ford EDIS 4 so are in plentiful supply and quite cheap.

Service from Trigger wheels is good also.

Some info on my project thread (many others on here also)

Good luck

Steve

#5 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

+1 for megajolt, great kit

#6 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Have a look:

http://www.theminifo...megajolt-guide/

Lots of infos here, scroll down and you'll have the megajolt forum

http://www.autosportlabs.org

#7 MiniLandy

MiniLandy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

MegaJolt is well proven (I have it, and still using it), but there are more options out there. 

Nodiz looks good as the coil drivers are built in, but runs on TPS as standard, needing extra parts to run on a MAP input. However, running a TPS setup might be better for you if you're running a lairy cam.

Emerald is a bit overkill for your needs really, with inputs for inlet charge temp and ability to control an injection setup. 

In your situation, with cash in my hand, I'd go Nodiz.

Edited by MiniLandy, 17 August 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#8 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Omex 200
Mbe
Weber Alfa
Emerald
I would say are the decent management systems but u get what u pay for

I know a lot run mega jolt but personally I think it's junk and made with cheap crap and won't get the best out of engines

Polestar but I never used it

#9 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

Of course the megajolt is made out of cheap stuff, if it wasn't it would cost the same as the omen, mbe, weber and emerald units.........

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

Megajolt uses standard Ford bits to do the hard work, they were reliable enough for a major manufacturer & their warranty programme.

It's also why it's cheaper, you're only buying the ECU to tell the EDIS what advance you need. It's limitation is that EDIS only had to work on road cars, it won't run to the rpm of some of the competition, bet neither will most A Series engines.

#11 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

Megajolt2 will run over 10000rpms though and now doesn't use ford bits ...........

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

Only we've been waiting at least 3 years for Autosportlabs to start selling it and we've yet to find out how much for.

#13 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

been looking at these lately and doesn't seem to be huge difference in options or price, some of the quality varies particulary the Trigger wheels. Omex and Nodiz appear similar I've been looking at the features for example do they come with - Shift lights, rev limiters, fuel pump cut offs, coil triggers, Launch control, Bluetooth, Tacho outputs, Immobiliser, what sensors do they need to run advance/retard? etc

Sounds like you have a similar spec motor to mine, my shopping list so far - Ford coil plus HT leads, temp sensor, Med Trigger wheel (already fitted), distributor blanking plate, SEN8D crank sensor, Webcon TPS, Crank sensor bracket, Polevolt is a handy site for the connectors if your making your own loom, a new themostat housing for the temp sensor.

Some useful sites -

http://omextechnology.co.uk/index.html

http://www.nodiz.co.uk/

http://www.webcon.co...d=43&cat=Webcon

http://www.polevolt....Connectors.html

#14 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

I use an emerald on my mini and it is very good but a bit overkill for what you have.

I've had weber ecu's and wouldn't touch them again. Your very limited where you can get them tuned and cannot tinker with them yourself.

#15 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Megajolt uses standard Ford bits to do the hard work, they were reliable enough for a major manufacturer & their warranty programme.

It's also why it's cheaper, you're only buying the ECU to tell the EDIS what advance you need. It's limitation is that EDIS only had to work on road cars, it won't run to the rpm of some of the competition, bet neither will most A Series engines.

Do you really need a ecu that can go to 10000rpms, mine works fine to just over 7500rpms. I really didn't like even the idea of the ford parts and always thought as soon as the new version that drops it's out I'd buy it. But after 3 years and no problems, I don't think i'll bother now........

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users