#1 DaMi

DaMi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to identify my brake master cylinder from the Haynes manual and I'm very confused. I have a '85 Mayfair first registered in August with no servo unit. And this is what it looks like.

Attached File  Master Cylinder.JPG   50.65K   28 downloads Attached File  Master Cylinder 2.JPG   34.96K   16 downloads

So according to Haynes the standard factory fitted would have been the type 2 (black tag I believe...) however it looks nothing like that but more like the type 3 (yellow tag). Now this is possible as if it was ever replaced a yellow would have been standard.

But 2 problems. First it has a green tag and second the bores on both ports are the same size. As for the type 4 (green tag) were there any that did not work with a servo? And were there any more the the 4 types used on a Mini?

A bit more info the cast number is LB06BZ036AD and the tag number LBBEHL005A  2  L  44  A

Cheers

Dan

#2 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

As standard and 85 would have been fitted with a yellow tag master. From the looks of it that is the correct master for the year, just with the wrong tag for whatever reason.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

It's a green band cylinder  :D

It's the same casting as the yellow band, but the same bore top & bottom, and 3/8unf unions I believe. I use the same cylinder off a Metro - only it has a black band and metric unions.

#4 DaMi

DaMi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

But why are the port bores the same size? Did they change them at some to have the different sized ones?

Dan

#5 DaMi

DaMi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

So has someone taken a type 4 green cylinder and taken the servo off and put a type 3 yellow reservoir ( If so why?).Or could you buy them like that.. ie a standard Metro cylinder setup maybe? Just interested how its come about as it seems unsual.

Dan

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

The yellow band has M10x1 on top & M12x1 on the bottom because the cylinder bores are different & it would really matter if you got them plumbed in the wrong way round. As they hadn't dreamed up the horizontal servo affair confusion of band colour wasn't an issue when they made your car. I imagine it's as intended, it would have been an easy option to get Lockheed to knock out the same cylinder as the Metro with Imperial unions as a replacement part for the Mini. I guess Haynes just failed to notice. 

The horizontal servo cylinder is about 10% larger bore. You'd notice it when you tried to stop!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users