6 replies to this topic

#1 jim4eva

jim4eva

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

I was just wondering if this is possible, or if someone has done it before, but if one was to use their mini as a daily driver, and didn't have time to prep and paint the whole car at once, could you do it panel by panel? For example, one weekend you could do the bonnet, then the a-panels/doors etc etc. What problems could arise? I guess you will end up with a very slightly different finish every time, is that right? I know this isn't ideal but if you're a busy bee... and a pot-less one at that... It might be a good solution. 

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

really you dont want to do it this way, different shades and quality of finish

#3 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Its completly do-sble just means you may get different shades (Dependant on colour choice ofcourse).

Have you ever thought of roller painting ? many guys on here have done there mini's, vw campers with a foam roller with great results you cant tell the difference

#4 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

good luck if its silver!!!!!!

it is well doable!!!!! if u think it through carefully,

but why dont u paint it in 4 bits?? front, back sides???

make sure u use the same gun for applying the colour. and buy enough paint so all it all comes from the same batch of paint!

as for finish, if ur going to flatten it down and polish it doesnt matter about the finish u get from the spray gun. it will just make ur work easier.

what colour are you going for???

#5 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Its do able if you are going for a solid non metallic colour, 

metallics are practically impossible to blend and silver is the worst! but if its just a solid colour then you could do it all bit by bit then just flat and polish it once done which should make it all match :) 

#6 jim4eva

jim4eva

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

I was really just curious, because I would like to respray my mini, and I just don't have the money to spend on a pro paint job, but neither do I have the time to do it all at once... Sam7 I like your idea about doing it in 4 sections, that might be the way to do it most seamlessly. It would be black, so hopefully wouldn't be that noticeable, I mean, black is black right? ;) 

#7 sam7

sam7

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

black will be fine mate, mask up on the seams then it splits it up.  not to much to get done over the weekend that way.

good luck with it mate!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users