Photo
- - - - -

1981 Mini Hazards Gone Wrong/not Working.

electrical

Best Answer KernowCooper , 02 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Ok try bridging the hazard terminals on the Harard flasher unit which is on the bulkhead in the engine compartment (Mines a 1980 and there) with the terminals bridged the lights should all come on, in which case the hazard unit is faulty, if that does not work the hazard switches are known to cause problems

here is the colours on the switch

Light Green/brown = 12v in and out to indicators

Green/white = R/H Indicator Lights

Green/red = L/H Indicator Lights

Light Green/pink = 12v in from Hazard Flasher

There are also to small fly leads they are simply the wires to trigger the warning light bulb

Do the tests on those wires should identify exactly where your problem lies.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Whiteandbluemini

Whiteandbluemini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

I have an 81 mini, nothing was. Working on it when i bought it. No lights, indicators the lot! I had got everything working again but now the hazards have stopped! When you flick the switch the flasher clicks, and there is a very very faint pulse through the lights on the clocks. But when you flick the indicator on with the hazards, they go double speed and have a hissy. Just woundering if anyone could help? Any help is useful and appreciated!

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:38 AM   Best Answer

Ok try bridging the hazard terminals on the Harard flasher unit which is on the bulkhead in the engine compartment (Mines a 1980 and there) with the terminals bridged the lights should all come on, in which case the hazard unit is faulty, if that does not work the hazard switches are known to cause problems

here is the colours on the switch

Light Green/brown = 12v in and out to indicators

Green/white = R/H Indicator Lights

Green/red = L/H Indicator Lights

Light Green/pink = 12v in from Hazard Flasher

There are also to small fly leads they are simply the wires to trigger the warning light bulb

Do the tests on those wires should identify exactly where your problem lies.

Edited by KernowCooper, 02 September 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#3 Whiteandbluemini

Whiteandbluemini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Right, have connected the wires together where the flasher goes, and the lights came on as you said! I take it that that means i have a faulty or incorrect flasher unit? Many thanks! 

Will.

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yes Will if all 4 lights come on with the Hazard unit wires bridged then the Hazard unit is faulty.

Edited by KernowCooper, 02 September 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#5 Whiteandbluemini

Whiteandbluemini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thanks very much for your help!

#6 mk1monster

mk1monster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Local Club: Lowestoft Mini Club

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Sorry to partially hijack your thread, but strangely enough I was working on a mini Saturday with similar problems.

failed the MOT for having nearly nothing lighting related whatsoever, so I started off on a regime of thorough cleaning earths and live connections, got to the spades on the fuse box which were particularly green and they just fell apart! O_O

cue one new fuse box later, and half of it all worked, then diagnosed further problems with the horn due to a loose connection on the column switch, front indicator units had disintegrated so they need replacing as does the rear fog lamp,

then finally I think the next issue is flasher units, as the lamps all light up but no flashy flashy.

Not really looking for any answers as the chap I was helping to repair the mini for, has taken it in to a friendly mechanic to have the welding and brake work it needed for MOT, and he'll fix the final bits of electrickery but just wanted to say about my great day of fun... :-D

#7 Whiteandbluemini

Whiteandbluemini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

Put new flasher in and working a treat! Now onto the welding!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users