72 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi all. I have recently started using Hobbyweld for my welding gas and I get the gas through my local builders merchant Sydenhams.

I have just picked up my second gas bottle from them and when I got back and put the regulator on it I realised that the bottle was only filled to 800psi instead of the usual 2000psi.

I immediately phoned Sydenhams about it and they told me they would contact Hobbyweld and ask what the should do.

Sydenhams then phoned me back hours later and explained that they needed to return the bottle to Hobbyweld for testing and in the meantime I would need to buy another bottle!

I asked them how they could test if a bottle was filled correctly and they said they could only test for faults with the bottle and if no fault was found, then no refund would be issued.

I think this is outrageous so I called Hobbyweld and they gave me the same answer so I told them that I didn't think it was right for me as a customer to pay for someone else's mistake.

Does anyone know where I stand with this? They want me to follow their procedure but it is not a fair one I don't think.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Small update, I am now dealing with Sydenham's manager who is very upset about the whole thing. He wants to give me another bottle but Hobby weld wont let him. Anyway, he is getting back onto hobby weld to put on the pressure (his words not mine!)

Ben

#3 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Thats all sounds a bit silly.  I'm surprised they didn't swap it no problem.  Good job standing your ground.

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Depends on the out come where you buy your gas in future

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well they didn't phone back!

So ill call in the morning. I'm sure its Hobby weld that's causing the problem as the manager at Sydenhams said he wants to exchange the cylinder but can't.

I'll see what happens in the morning.

Ben

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

If you don't get a reply or satisfactory outcome then i would change supplier.

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

That's what I would do but being on the Isle of Wight I don't have much choice!!

This just seems crazy, If you went to a shop and bought a toaster and got it back home and it didn't work, then you take it back and they give you another. Not insist it go back to the manufacturer to be tested before issuing a refund.

I think that this is Hobbyweld's way of saying that they don't trust their customers and are probably assuming that I used the missing gas before reporting it as not being filled correctly. They want to take the bottle back, test it for leaks then tell me there is nothing wrong with it so sorry no refund.

Cheers

Ben

#8 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

who do you pay and how do you pay them?

#9 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

I pay Sydenham's who I guess sell the gas on behalf of Hobbyweld as sydenham's are just a stockist for them.

I paid by Barclaycard so if all else fails I guess I could get the money back through them but then that's just going to make it very difficult to get gas.

Cheers

Ben

#10 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Your contract is with the people you pay (I believe)

I suppose if you look at it from their point of view, there are 3 possible scenarios.

1. There isn't enough gas in the bottle.

2. Half of it has been used and you're trying it on

3. Your gauge is faulty.

I'll certainly be checking the pressure on the next bottle I buy

#11 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

This just seems crazy, If you went to a shop and bought a toaster and got it back home and it didn't work, then you take it back and they give you another. Not insist it go back to the manufacturer to be tested before issuing a refund

I had a brand new radiator from minispares that leakes water...  they said the same...  that I need to pay for postage for it to be tested, but I probably wont see any kind of refund...  :ohno:

#12 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

Your contract is with the people you pay (I believe)

I suppose if you look at it from their point of view, there are 3 possible scenarios.

1. There isn't enough gas in the bottle.

2. Half of it has been used and you're trying it on

3. Your gauge is faulty.

I'll certainly be checking the pressure on the next bottle I buy

I recon you are right but I'm just disappointed that they can't just supply me a replacement. I mean, is it even possible to use 2/3 of a bottle of gas in an hour!! ( I reported the problem by phone an hour after I picked it up)

If they suspect there is a fault with the bottle then that's not my fault and if they think I am pulling a fast one then how can the prove that, more to the point how can I prove I am not! but even so, when I phoned to report it I gave them an exact reading of the bottle pressure which I can prove by taking my regulator along to show them.

It just seems that its Hobbyweld that have the problem and to add insult to injury, Sydenhams told me that they don't sell many of them and the empties only get collected when they have 20. They currently have 3! so my bottle wont go back to them for months so when would I get my refund? If I get one.....

Cheers

Ben

#13 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

If you buy a bag of crisps or nuts (or anything remotely pack related) and find an unexpected item inside or its not to your satisfactory requirement (out of date etc) you can return it for them to investigate

They have no idea when you bought it or how much you have consumed till you found the issue, maybe you put the foreign object there yourself? but they will honour it if they are at fault, how do they know? who knows

Its irrelevant the cost between a crisp packet and bottle of gas, they have a duty to honour a possible fault there end so pursue 

If you have to buy another (to send the other one back as per there rules) then ask them to check the pressure beforehand, if this so called talking-out-of-his-backside-manager is on your side he will have provisions there to check it before sending out, its just a quick check

If he says its ok great but ask he notes that in your receipt that its been checked by them, see how much he is on your side then

In the meantime as Carlos said, make sure your gear is working fine your end so you know where you stand

#14 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

If you're going to have to carry on using the company it may be worth taking the regulator along with you when collecting!

Are Hobbyweld based in Kent?

#15 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

If you're going to have to carry on using the company it may be worth taking the regulator along with you when collecting!

Are Hobbyweld based in Kent?

Newcastle upon tyme mate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users