72 replies to this topic

#16 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

If you're going to have to carry on using the company it may be worth taking the regulator along with you when collecting!

Are Hobbyweld based in Kent?

Newcastle upon tyme mate

Just drive it up to them, it's only what 500 miles?

I suppose the issue is, if it's going to stand around for ages potentially losing pressure they are going to have an empty bottle returned to them! 

#17 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

If you buy a bag of crisps or nuts (or anything remotely pack related) and find an unexpected item inside or its not to your satisfactory requirement (out of date etc) you can return it for them to investigate

They have no idea when you bought it or how much you have consumed till you found the issue, maybe you put the foreign object there yourself? but they will honour it if they are at fault, how do they know? who knows

Its irrelevant the cost between a crisp packet and bottle of gas, they have a duty to honour a possible fault there end so pursue 

If you have to buy another (to send the other one back as per there rules) then ask them to check the pressure beforehand, if this so called talking-out-of-his-backside-manager is on your side he will have provisions there to check it before sending out, its just a quick check

If he says its ok great but ask he notes that in your receipt that its been checked by them, see how much he is on your side then

In the meantime as Carlos said, make sure your gear is working fine your end so you know where you stand

I know they have a duty to check the bottle but I am an innocent party and don't want to have to pay twice for a bottle of gas because of someone elses fault. I just connected the regulator (which is 1 month old and worked perfectly on the last bottle right until it was empty) and it still reads a fraction under 800psi which is exactly where it was so I doubt it is leaking.

I have no problem asking the manager to sign the invoice to confirm he has tested the bottle and I don't see why you would assume he is talking out of his backside as he has been nothing but accommodating making calls to hobby weld to try and sort it out and get me a result.

Cheers

Ben

#18 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

I pay Sydenham's who I guess sell the gas on behalf of Hobbyweld as sydenham's are just a stockist for them.

I paid by Barclaycard so if all else fails I guess I could get the money back through them but then that's just going to make it very difficult to get gas.

Cheers

Ben

in that case if the manager has said that he would replace the bottle for you then he can, simple as. 

#19 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

I pay Sydenham's who I guess sell the gas on behalf of Hobbyweld as sydenham's are just a stockist for them.

I paid by Barclaycard so if all else fails I guess I could get the money back through them but then that's just going to make it very difficult to get gas.

Cheers

Ben

in that case if the manager has said that he would replace the bottle for you then he can, simple as. 

That's what I said to him, but he can't release a bottle until payment has been received as their booking out is done by a computer directly networked to hobbyweld and also all of the paperwork I have from sydenhams is on Hobby weld headed invoice paper.

I just want my gas, I got a lot of work to do!

If I had the money to throw about I would just go and get another but I don't so I guess ill have to ride it out and hope they sort something out.

Ben

#20 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

I have no problem asking the manager to sign the invoice to confirm he has tested the bottle and I don't see why you would assume he is talking out of his backside as he has been nothing but accommodating making calls to hobby weld to try and sort it out and get me a result.

Then he should be making sure you are not paying for a second bottle in the meantime, if he is then what exactly are you asking on here? If he is taking care of it as you believe then why are you pondering where you stand as you obviously have faith in them

I'd take everything with a pinch of salt, why, because customer service will always prove itself in the end

#21 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

I started the thread before the manager at sydenhams stepped in. before that I was dealing with hobbyweld and the salesman at sydenhams who both told me there was nothing that could be done other than buying another bottle.

I still don't know what is going to happen and as the topic title says, I am wondering where I stand if they continue to refuse to exchange the bottle.

I hoped that someone might have had experience with these kinds of things and might have ideas of what I could do.

Cheers

Ben

#22 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'd be looking at another supplier in the meantime, you can't wait to see what they will do just incase it might materialise into nothing 

End of the day if your paying for another bottle then you would be anyway with another new supplier

#23 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

As above, if you paid Sydenham's then it's up to them to sort. Don't be fobbed off by them blaming Hobbyweld, it conveniently gets you off their backs. Apart from it being their responsibility, even if you paid Hobbyweld they aren't acting as their agents for nothing. It could also be down to them, if a member of staff has being helping themself, or just bad stock management.

You could contact your local trading standards, I'd think they'd take an interest over potentially dodgy pressurised gas cylinders! If they flog very little it could be the gas has leaked away over a long time. I'd be loathed to return the cylinder if they are being awkward, chances are they'll claim there was no fault & you'll have no option but to accept their judgment. I can't see any justification in asking you to pay for a replacement, isn't their business model that you buy a cylinder & exchange it for a full one? If you pay twice then you should be in possession of 2 cylinders.

If you're worried about falling out with the only local supplier, you could always send someone else to buy your gas from them.

#24 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

I would use the 800 psi you have and then return the bottle for your refund, find yourself another supplier if you can.

If this can't be done and your stuck with this supplier then at least you can get on with your project, 800 psi will get an awful lot of welding done. Take your regulator with you when you pick up a new bottle

David

#25 Frisco

Frisco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

As above, if you paid Sydenham's then it's up to them to sort. Don't be fobbed off by them blaming Hobbyweld, it conveniently gets you off their backs. Apart from it being their responsibility, even if you paid Hobbyweld they aren't acting as their agents for nothing. It could also be down to them, if a member of staff has being helping themself, or just bad stock management.

You could contact your local trading standards, I'd think they'd take an interest over potentially dodgy pressurised gas cylinders! If they flog very little it could be the gas has leaked away over a long time. I'd be loathed to return the cylinder if they are being awkward, chances are they'll claim there was no fault & you'll have no option but to accept their judgment. I can't see any justification in asking you to pay for a replacement, isn't their business model that you buy a cylinder & exchange it for a full one? If you pay twice then you should be in possession of 2 cylinders.

If you're worried about falling out with the only local supplier, you could always send someone else to buy your gas from them.

This.

Dont ring hobbyweld again yourself and when the supplier says they are waiting on an answer, ringing them, fobbing you off say you don't want to know . The supplier took your money so it is up to them to sort you out. 

If after they give you a replacement bottle they want to send the faulty one for testing then that's up to them but they not hobbyweld supplied you with a 1/3 full bottle.

#26 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

WHO DID YOU PAY? Not what does it say on any paperwork? Who got the money? I'm betting it's Sydenhams in which case it's their problem. If your money went direct to Hobbyweld then it's their local office that need to sort it - even if that "office" is a desk and some storage space at Sydenhams.

If they can't release a bottle till they've received payment that that's fine. They refund you for the half empty bottle they sold you and then that money is used to pay for a new bottle. If they want to chase Hobbyweld over an under filled or faulty bottle they can do it in their own time.

If they try to get into any other argument than this then involve your card company and trading standards immediately. Stop mucking around on here - it's just not that complicated. Take a reg when you go for another bottle in the future and don't accept it unless it's full.

Iain

#27 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Credit card companies won't be interested if it's less than £100

David

#28 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

Credit card companies won't be interested if it's less than £100

David

He may still be covered by a direct debit guarantee, the same as a debit card, in which case he can insist on a "charge back". 

#29 Rog46

Rog46

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Local Club: NSMOC

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

Talk to your local Trading Standards Officer !

#30 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Talk to your local Trading Standards Officer !

That will be my next step if I can't get any joy.

I haven't got round to ringing sydenhams today yet. Ill be doing it in a minute.

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users