151 replies to this topic

#91 GeorgeMini

GeorgeMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

oh and also im pretty happy with how this came out too.. managed to somehow get the ultimate flush fit. little bit of seam sealer in-between the plate and the shell when tightened down and jobs a good'n! 

10155816_10152313899798522_1647561567_n.

#92 fiestaharry

fiestaharry

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

looks good mate, i don't know how you managed to get your steering rack looking so good, mine and cpt kirks seem to be recessed in

#93 GeorgeMini

GeorgeMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

neither do I haha must have just been lucky with my shell or zcars have adapted their front subframe a bit? 

#94 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Yer thats way better, mine is proper pain in the t!ts to get the bolt out......

#95 tomjohnson

tomjohnson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

I thought the steering rack was supposed to go inside the subframe?

P1040098.jpg

When you look back a page it looks like he's got his mounted on the outside?

1069796_675556642503225_342170212_n.jpg

#96 GeorgeMini

GeorgeMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Im not even sure which side it goes! But it seemed to work pretty good the way I have done it. Try switching yours over if it gives you trouble. 

#97 MiniMenzies

MiniMenzies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:53 AM

Have you thought about different fasteners rather than the bonnet pins? not knocking the B pins but things like zeus clips and aero catches things like that look neater. Looks like you've done a lovely job so far just things like that make the car neater and little things like that are lighter etc.

Good build 

#98 GeorgeMini

GeorgeMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Have you thought about different fasteners rather than the bonnet pins? not knocking the B pins but things like zeus clips and aero catches things like that look neater. Looks like you've done a lovely job so far just things like that make the car neater and little things like that are lighter etc.

Good build 

Yeah your certainly right, and i even have some zeus fasterns but basically I got too fustrated with them and ended up using the spare bonnet pins i had. I need extra red details like those on my car anyway plus everyone has those zeus fastners or something similar so Im being a bit different I guess..

#99 clovus

clovus

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

Could you post a picture of how you have the bonnett pins installed? Without the front on it preferably. Thanks in advance!!

#100 tomjohnson

tomjohnson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

pretty sure it goes on the inside to be honest otherwise you might as well of bolted it to the shell like a standard mini and the old zcars front subframe.

zcars changed the design of the subframe to hold the rack moving it lower to help reduce bump steer.

#101 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

I thought the steering rack was supposed to go inside the subframe?

P1040098.jpg

When you look back a page it looks like he's got his mounted on the outside?

1069796_675556642503225_342170212_n.jpg

Tomjohnson is right, the rack normally sits forward of the mounting plates, I wondered how you'd managed to get yours so close to the shell.

You'll probably need longer than normal track rod ends (or swap them out for a rose joint setup), remember when fitting a rose joint or track rod end you need a minimum amount of thread length in them, this needs to be a minimum of 1.5x the diameter of the steering rod.

There will be an affect on your Ackerman angle as the steering rods are no longer perpendicular to the steering arm on the hub. How much this will affect steering remains to be seen. As a guess I'd say the inner wheel will pull in more and the outer push out less. That said the amount you've moved it isnt massive so the difference may be negligible.

Edited by cptkirk, 04 April 2014 - 06:04 AM.

#102 GeorgeMini

GeorgeMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

Interesting! Nice spot guys.. ill have a word with zcars and see what they think.. 

meanwhile a little update - the car has gone to paint today!! 

I wont be able to post much for the next two weeks while the car is out of my hands but fingers crossed she looks sweet on her return.. 

cheers all 

#103 GeorgeMini

GeorgeMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

UPDATE

Just made another order with zcars.

Cooling system

Their new wiring loom 

Vertical bulkhead 

Battery

Kill switch 

Once the car is back from paint, I can start the final assembly of the car and install all the parts I have. Should be able to wire up the car and fire the girl up for the first time! Cant believe im writing already to be fair..I thought this project would take me a couple of years but its only taken half a year so far!! Better not get too carried away however but excited is an understatement. 

Two weeks and counting until the fun can start again. 

#104 minithekid

minithekid

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:14 AM

cars looking great George!... :mrcool:

#105 GeorgeMini

GeorgeMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

Just to let people know whats happening.. basically the car is in the paint shop still and isn't expected back for another two weeks at least. The shop are doing me a good mates rates deal but part of that is that my mini gets done when he has a spare hour here and there.. 

I went and saw it this morning to check up on it and its all looking pretty good. They have done a bit of extra filling here and there on the front end for now. Just needs to be sanded back, primed, sanded again then painted. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users