AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm having an extension built on the side of my single garage, basically so that I've got more room to work around my mini's when they're in there. (No doubt I'll start a project thread here, when the planning comes through).

Any way, I considered having an inspection pit put in there whilst the building work was being done, but I'm a bit worried about the safety issues with inspection pits, so now I'm thinking about some sort of lift instead. So then.... scissor lifts, tilting lifts, post lifts etc any body got any thoughts, or views on them?

#2 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Two post lifts are cheap, four post lifts are awesome. Second hand four posters can be had for as little as £200-£300 quid if you keep at eye out for local garages closing or upgrading. We sold our old one at work on eBay and it made £320 but did need a good coat of paint.

#3 dean

dean

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

I have got one of these. Brilliant bit.

http://www.cjautoshe....uk/2post.shtml

They also do other car lifts, scissors lifts. Hydraulic ramps. Etc. have a look through there website.

If you are really interested. Last year they were at the classic car show at the NEC in Birmingham. And do great deals on the equipment. I bet there be there again this year.

I got my lift for the ex vat price including delivery. So a good £400 saving.

There is also a company that makes a similar lift called max jax,

http://www.maxjax.co.uk/video.aspx

#4 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

What safety issues?

#5 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

Well, if I were going to get a lift, I would definitely get this one from Northern Tools. I love to have flexibility in a garage and a removable lift is excellent.

I did not find it in the UK website though. Make sure to watch the video.

http://www.northernt...86167_200386167

#6 dean

dean

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

See my post above about that max jax. It's the uk site and distributor.

But the one from cj autos. Is a copy of the max jax but improved, Much stronger , also removable. Great customer service. Lifts higher. Runs off a 240v 13amp plug. It's a very well made bit of kit. It's designed for a space where you you don't have a lot of ceiling height. Plus it even lifts a car high enough to park another underneath.

If you buy one second Hand lift. From a garage , check what voltage it is. Alot of them are 3 phase 415v. You can now buy a converter/inverter to boost you 240 up to 415. Not a cheap bit of kit but maybe an option.
But don't get me wrong there are also 240 v lifts out there. Just be carefull and check it over first.

If your ever in the East Sussex area and what you see the cj auto lift for yourself your more than welcome to drop by.

Edited by dean, 12 September 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#7 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

At college we run a two post that mounts onto the cars sills, I've never been comfortable with that system and much prefer the the style with movable pads... 

You have to bear in mind the concrete it's being mounted into has to be up to standards, and try and get one that sits flush in the drive (the only real benefit of the sill style two posters is they slit flush into the ground so don't take up room. 

#8 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

See my post above about that max jax. It's the uk site and distributor.

Yes you are right, I should have paid more attention. >_<

#9 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

I have got one of these. Brilliant bit.

http://www.cjautoshe....uk/2post.shtml

they've not really thought that one through have they ;-) 

#10 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

I have a heftee lift,http://www.heftee.com/index.html

it is perfect for a mini, can be used to lift by the wheels, or wheels free for working on brakes etc, stands against the wall out of the way, single phase, easy to move etc etc. It was designed for Mowing machines but is perfect for a mini. available in 2000 and 4000 k capacities too.

As far as i know, still available in the UK, but not sure who sells them at the moment.

Found a link with some piccies.

http://www.rzrforums...aulic-lift.html

scroll down to see a mini sized vehicle on the lift.

Edited by Yoda, 13 September 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#11 dean

dean

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

In what way have they not thought it through.

#12 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for your input guys, that certainly gives me some ideas to look into. Scissor lifts seem to be the cheapest option, but I'm a bit worried about access from beneath with those, does anybody have any views/experience with them?

I really like the Heftee lift, I've managed to track down their UK distributor too and have emailed them for a price. (Although I always tend to find that if they don't list a price, then I probably cant afford it!! :()  http://www.psdground...&prod_manufid=1

#13 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

I keep debating a lift in my workshop but I'm looking at a scissor lift. It's a peaked roof so the lift would have to be in the middle of the floor - no matter how short the posts are on the CJ Autos lift you have to account for the height of the car at the highest lift and in the middle I can fit a full rise lift. Problem with that is that I need to sit two cars side by side for general parking so the posts would get in the way if I had a 2 or 4 poster - I've seen the results of one car on top of another if the lift drains back (OK most have safety locks nowadays) and I'm also not interested in the hassle of shuffling cars if I want to take the one at the top out on any given day (the reality is that the thing will just stay up there and you'll either take the other one or not go out).

A scissor lift can be truly flush mounted so it doesn't get in the way of the space at all when it's down. You can put cars part on them to just raise one side/end. You can sit a car sideways (or diagonal) on them if you're working on a part that the platforms get in the way of in their normal mode. Just far more versatile in my experience and with a little thought you can easily work around the fact that the bulk is a bit of an obstruction under the car.

Iain

#14 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

They are not cheap! but i managed to find mine at a golf course that was no longer required. ( I work in the industry ) and made an offer that was acceptable to them.  " i can take that out of your way if you wan LOL " and loaded it on the trailer, then drove like i had stolen the car!

The scissor lifts are a complete pain and not worth it. Spend the money and get a decent heftee or two poster. ( On ebay for around £1250 ) you wont regret it. The only issue with the Heftee is working from one side of the car at a time, but most front and rear work can be done if you move it awy from the wall.

#15 dean

dean

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

The cj autos post lift is moveable. So once you finish undo 6 floor bolts and wheel it out the way. Then you have your space back. I have the one by the wall always fitted and I have just put the one in the middle of the garage back on ,so I can do some work on my parents car, once I fitted 6 bolts and wheel it away. Nice and simple.

But compared to a scissor lift its much more expensive.

I know a mate that works the body work trade that uses a scissor all the time. It's the only lift he has

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users