2 replies to this topic

#1 arennerisu

arennerisu

Starting My Mini Up

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hey everyone, I got an issue with the rear brakes on my 1990 Mini City hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction.  I have replaced the shoes, wheel cylinders and bled the lines.  When I raise the car, give the rear wheels a spin and press on the brake pedal the brakes will engage and stop the wheel however they release immediately after and the wheel rolls freely.    I have pulled the drum to get a closer look and I can see the shoes expand but then compress immediately after.  The parking brake works fine and the shoes have been adjusted so they are just barely backed off the drum.  The front brakes (disc) work fine.  There are no leaks from what I can see in the system.  I have a 'type 4", tandem master cylinder (green tag).  I did some more digging online but did not see any posts on this type of issue.  Only thing I can think of is that it's an issue with the seals in the master cylinder which is causing the rear line not to hold it's pressure.  Again, front brakes lock up tight when tested.  Any direction on this is greatly appreciated as I want to get this thing cruising down the road before winter sets in!  Thanks.

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

The master cylinder seals have failed, and the fluid is leaking back into the reservoir.

#3 arennerisu

arennerisu

Starting My Mini Up

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks, going to replace and see if that does the trick!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users