38 replies to this topic

#16 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

As long as the bar is made from the correct grade of steel and not silly thin tube I fail to see why there would ever be a problem.  Better that you are strapped to thick tube than thin sheet steel like the parcel shelf.

That's a bit logical for the MSA though Dave...!! 

I can't be bothered to give myself a headache reading the Blur Book today, but I think you're right & as long as the correct grade steel tube is used it's fine - I'm sure there's a reg. in there somewhere...!! But I also seem to recall it's only a harness bar that can be added to a homologated cage unless any other additions are also homologated by the cage manufacturer?

#17 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Merther - what sort of rallying are we talking about???

#18 merther

merther

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'm talking about daylight historic road rallies, like the hrcr clubman champ. I wasn't criticising your harness bar, just on a previous occasion I have had an 'issue' with a scrutineer relating to my harness bar, That was on a stage rally...

#19 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'm talking about daylight historic road rallies, like the hrcr clubman champ. I wasn't criticising your harness bar, just on a previous occasion I have had an 'issue' with a scrutineer relating to my harness bar, That was on a stage rally...

No i was more wondering if i'd missed something that you had spotted.

You could hang the car from the harness bar no problem!!!!

I have done 2 HRCR events, 4 night events and the harness bar has never even been mentioned....gutted really as i'm very proud of it!

#20 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Jon betts harness bar.  Crashed my car at the weekend and it saved me flying through the windscreen.  

Edited by Mini 360, 09 October 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#21 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Jon betts harness bar.  Crashed my car at the weekend and it saved me flying through the windscreen.  

Now there is an endorsement!!!  Hope you are ok?

#22 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Now there is an endorsement!!!  Hope you are ok?

Yeh Im fine, whiplash is a beatch btu shows how well the bar worked!  Cars a mess but repairable.... http://www.theminifo...esto/?p=2909337

#23 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I wouldn't want one of those harness bars, especially bolted to the rear arches. The forces in a crash can be massive.

Do it properly and tie the harness bar in with the roll cage.

#24 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

I wouldn't want one of those harness bars, especially bolted to the rear arches. The forces in a crash can be massive.

Do it properly and tie the harness bar in with the roll cage.

No matter what you do to a Mini its never going to be a good thing to be in in the event of a crash.  This bar saved my face.  It may have made an improvement if I did hit the screen but still it worked!

#25 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

My opinion is that it doesn't look strong enough and doesn't mount in a decent place. The arches are only spot welded and could very well be rusty on a Mini.

Two people of 100kg each in a 10g crash could be exerting 2 tonnes on that bar.

The proper way to do it is to have a harness bar mounted on a roll cage.

Also, a seperate point, you should never have harnesses and buckets fitted without a roll cage - if you roll over and the roof caves in, you could very well be pinned into your seat at the roof comes in.

Edited by Sam, 09 October 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#26 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Also, a seperate point, you should never have harnesses and buckets fitted without a roll cage - if you roll over and the roof caves in, you could very well be pinned into your seat at the roof comes in.

That's what I got told when I said to my grandad that I wanted bucket seats, so now I'm waiting till I get a cage

#27 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

My opinion is that it doesn't look strong enough and doesn't mount in a decent place. The arches are only spot welded and could very well be rusty on a Mini.

Not too sure I agree.....can you please explain your reason?  How is a roof coming down on you in normal seats with normal belts any better??

If anything, full back bucket seats will offer better protection than any standard seat....especially in a mini where the standard seats are low anyway.

#28 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not too sure I agree.....can you please explain your reason?  How is a roof coming down on you in normal seats with normal belts any better??

If anything, full back bucket seats will offer better protection than any standard seat....especially in a mini where the standard seats are low anyway.
I agree, also bucket seats that have a bar above the top of your head will act as a mini roll cage, obviously not very effectively but everything helps

#29 BronkoMini

BronkoMini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

I think it's because you can't lean down if the roof does cave in?

#30 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yeh I would never get in one of these supercars with buckets and harnesses that dont come with a cage. :lol:

Each to their own.  Can never win on TMF.  :whistling:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users