29 replies to this topic

#16 Bruno

Bruno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:56 PM

.....my 998 does 50 in second gear if i rag the tits off it and iv got it to 90 no problem (in 4th)..... am i special?

#17 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

yes yes your are. then again i have no idea when my engine would blow up. no rev counter. stock or anything changed on it?

#18 Bruno

Bruno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:15 AM

well... get yourself a rev counter laddie. i couldent manage without one. i think i could push second to 55-60 if i wanted but im sure something would go pop as 50 is a bit into the red.

#19 Andy NBO 866M

Andy NBO 866M

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:46 AM

You said you replaced the filters. Do you mean fuel or air?

If you haven't replaced the air filter(s) yet, try this test. Remove the air filter element(s) and take the car out for a quick test drive. Don't drive like this for long as you obviously run the risk of sucking in something that will damage your engine. A friend of mine bought a "used" Stage-1 kit for his 998. Shortly after installing it he found the car would max out at about 45-50 mph. He limped the car over to my house and we spent an afternoon going over EVERYTHING and nothing helped. Then he mentioned the kit he bought was used and on a whim we removed the K&N air filter. Immediately the car had full power. The K&N filter was plugged but looked relatively clean. A little careful cleaning and he was back "up to speed".

I have had a new air filter but it's a standard one at the moment i havent touched the fuel filter yet it has been sat for a while??? Maybe blocked i'll have to whip that off then.

#20 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:26 AM

if its a carb model then the only filter is in the tank......wait....have you changed the fuel. after a while petrol go's crappy if its been standing for a year drain all the old fuel out and pop some fresh stuff in.

#21 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:28 AM

if its a carb model then the only filter is in the tank......wait....have you changed the fuel. after a while petrol go's crappy if its been standing for a year drain all the old fuel out and pop some fresh stuff in.

#22 simini

simini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:15 AM

My 998cc does about 75 - 80 mph, but not very often as it starts to red line at about 60mph! It's stage one'ed. I always want to go faster so i'm getting a bigger engine.

#23 Andy NBO 866M

Andy NBO 866M

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

Ok Any idea how to get the filter out???? :thumbsup:

#24 dan__wright

dan__wright

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

no, but there is also a small filter in the carb aswell.

#25 Bruno

Bruno

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

simini, you probly don’t need a bigger lump in ya car. after you stage one'd it did you get it tuned or did you just bang it on and hope for the best? any sort of modification to the carb ect ect you need to go down a rolling road and get it set up and tuned. other wise its all gonna be wrong, your fuelling will be tits up it will be lean at top end ect ect and over all just run like a hunk o‘ junk.

get it tuned up, service it and then see what its like. if its still a sack of poo get a bigger block or rebuild the one you have.

#26 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:19 PM

Ok Any idea how to get the filter out???? :thumbsup:

you have to take the fuel sender out of the side of the tank. i suggest doing this when the tank is empty so drain out the fuel. if its old fuel then its C**p anyway so get rid of it. the filter is on the end of a bit of pipe that suspends the filter above the bottom of the tank. think you just twist it off and presto!

one more thing,
little guide on carb tuning to help those with stage 1 that haven't been turned.

http://www.mintylamb...page=sutune.htm

It;s written for a Tr7 but they use SU carbs so it works either way. run a little lean tho. works wonders. well for me.

#27 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

Have a check for the filter. certainly mine didn't have one fitted at all! after that, definately get rid of all the petrol out of it. even after a couple of months it can have gone off to the point where it doesn't run right. Also check the float bowl (on the side of the carb) and empty that.

If it's still a leaded car, remember to put in some additive aswell (unless you're one of the rare few who can still get a hold of leaded petrol). you might like to consider treating it to some 99ron from tescos or similar for a first tank too. spoil her a bit and she might play ball! :thumbsup:

If you don't have a filter, get one. it's an easy add-on and you can fit it right after the tank (as adam says) or between the fuel pump and the solid pipe that leads to the tank (which is harder to get to.....) just make sure it's between tank and pump.

#28 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:30 PM

The in-tank filters are nothing more than screens. They can plug but it usually involves years of not driving with gas left in the tank and the slow build up of varnish. If in doubt about its condition you can disconnect the fuel line between the tank and pump and "blow" backwards through the line. This may dislodge any debris on the screen but it's unlikely to be the cause of your problem.

To remove the screen isn't easy. I've done it when coating the inside of tanks. On RH tanks you can insert a 4mm steel rod in the pick-up/discharge tube and use a hammer to drift the filter off. The shape of the pickup tube in LH tanks doesn't allow this. You need to remove the sending unit and use a flat relatively small flat bar to drive the screen off. Once these screens are removed... don't bother trying to install them again. Plan on putting a replaceable filter between the tank and the fuel pump instead.

Since your air filter is new, take Pikey7's advice and check the level of fuel in the float bowl(s) and clean them out. It's not unusual for crud to collect in the bottom and restrict fuel flow to the carb jet. I'm not familiar with any SU having an internal filter as mentioned previously. That must be a later design than I have seen. Incidentally, while the higher octane fuels may sound appealing... they offer absolutely no performance benefit unless you re-tune your engine for more ignition advance. Premium fuels are also slightly harder to ignite. Unless you've got or had problems with pinging, stick with regular fuel while troubleshooting this problem.

#29 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

If your car is still leaded, the fuel won't have gone bad. 4 star is good for years, it's unleaded that only lasts about 6 months. And as DK and Pikey suggest, forget about the fuel 'filters'. It's extremely unlikely to be anything to do with them. Your car just sounds like it needs a really good service and tune up, after all it has been sat for a year.

#30 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

dk, just so as you know the later hiff carbs had a small gauze filter inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users