49 replies to this topic

#46 Ryan n Angela

Ryan n Angela

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Looking good overall, im planing on doing my centre binicale in the near future and all my lights, even toying with replacing the bulb in the headlights as my halogens are about as much use as candles in the wind... lol

#47 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Just need to point out to everyone here that using a plain LED for the ignition warning lamp will stop the alternator working and in the long term will damage it. There is a way to do it but you need to add a resistive load and some additional diodes.

Yep - very good point which hasn't been mentioned in this thread and is very important.

Aside from potentially causing damage to the alternator I didn't see a need to change the alt charge bulb or ign warning lamps anyway as they are only on briefly.  

When I did mine I just changed the dash illumination bulbs, turn indicator bulbs and main beam illumination bulb....... 

#48 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Just need to point out to everyone here that using a plain LED for the ignition warning lamp will stop the alternator working and in the long term will damage it. There is a way to do it but you need to add a resistive load and some additional diodes.

Yep - very good point which hasn't been mentioned in this thread and is very important. Aside from potentially causing damage to the alternator I didn't see a need to change the alt charge bulb or ign warning lamps anyway as they are only on briefly.   When I did mine I just changed the dash illumination bulbs, turn indicator bulbs and main beam illumination bulb.......

When I installed my bulbs, I only did the illumination bulbs as the indicator and main beam bulbs are bright enough already in my opinion

#49 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Knowing a fair bit about electricity this doesn't make sense. The ignition warning light is low wattage and is only in play when the ignition is triggered or if the ignition fails, it doesn't operate when the car is running otherwise it would always be illuminated. The resistance of the bulb shouldn't make any difference.

Explain why you think it would.

#50 tomb1992

tomb1992

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Managed to fit some blue ones! was a straight swap for the old bulbs  =] 

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

will clean the dial covers tomorrow bit smudged haha 

251fd073-801c-473a-a1cf-f278b3d0da8a_zps