2 replies to this topic

#1 Whiteandbluemini

Whiteandbluemini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

I have a 1981 998 mini, the front brake cylinders were leaking so i have replaced them. My dad and i have bled the whole brake system through and there is no air to be found anywhere. When you pump the pedal 4/5 times the brakes work fine but then after leaving them for 1/2 a minute they go spongey again and you can press the brake pedal to the floor. As it has dual system braking so i now assume that the brake master cylinder is faulty or just the front. I have ordered a repair kit hoping that that will sort it! Any other ideas of clues you guys can see? Thanks in advance!

#2 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Have you adjusted them properly ?

#3 ethana

ethana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: bmc

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

If the pedal is spongy there is air present still. The fact you pump the pedal and it firms only reinforces my suspicion. Where the brakes working before? Obviously they were weeping but did they work? With the engine stopped, pump the brakes till they firm up. Then hold onto the pedal pressing hard down. Check to make sure the pedal doesn't keep moving and reach the floor. I'd it does then there is a leak somewhere. If you can obtain a pressure bleeder then I would recommend the use of it. This uses air from your tyre to push fluid through the system and is my prefered method

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users