Photo
- - - - -

Warning When Rebuilding Lucas M35J Starters!

electrical engine

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mini_Fox

Mini_Fox

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local Club: MOALA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

In rebuilding my engine i rebuilt the starter.  It needed new carbon brushes and new bushings at the front and rear.  I found a new endcap on ebay with preinstalled brushes, wires, new brush holder, new bronze bushing everything.  The parts are nice, fit well, worked good, but then I started having engine problems and it was hard to crank, like it was super over advanced and kicking back.  I bought a new battery, tried a bunch of things then noticed the starter.  The rear bronze bushing fell out!!  The original cap had the bushing pressed in and a steel cap covering the outside, this new cap I bought had a bronze bushing with an extra wide flange, but no outer cover.  The original cap was also stamped steel, and the new one was cast zinc (pot metal, zamak, your choice).  So, i think either under starting load or engine heat the end cap deforms and the bushing can walk out and escape!  I got a new bushing from mcmaster carr and made a simple sheet metal cover that holds the bushing in in case it wants to make a run for it.  Not saying dont buy the parts, they fit perfect, were reasonably priced and work well, just beware of the loose bushing.  Yet another little project to fix lazy repro parts!    

NOTE: added a picture of the retainer plate I made  

Attached Files

Edited by Mini_Fox, 29 December 2013 - 08:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical, engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users