#1 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Local Club: Otago Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Can anyone tell me if Superfin drums can be used on the front? I realise I'd obviously need two pairs to keep front and rear track widths the same, if they can be used. I don't really want to go down the road of converting to discs yet for a couple of reasons, first, it's a time consuming and costly process here in NZ as Mini's unfortunately carry the "British/euro car tax" meaning parts are extortionat, secondly, the Mini's my daily driver until I bring my other car down from the north island so I can't afford to have it off the road. I'll definitely look into discs later but with my 1330 build absorbing most of my money and the issue of driving the car to work every day I'm just looking at other avenues in the meantime.

Feel free to suggest other options too :)

#2 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

They can be used with no problems. If you already have spacered drums its a straight swap, if not you need longer studs and possibly arch extensions. In terms of braking performance though there is very little if any gain.

#3 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Cheers for that :) it's mostly the heat dissipation over cast iron drums I'm after

#4 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Would really not recommend using drums all round - they're barely up to the job on 998's where constant adjustment is a priority let alone the planned 1330 - noted that you've eventually planning on a disc conversion but - if you've got the parts to hand it's a couple of hours to do.... far more reassuring - and safer too....

Have no idea what wheels you're running but an 8.4" disc set up for 12" wheels can be had fairly cheaply here and postage costs aren't that excessive (!)  shopping around you could get a pair of discs, hubs, calipers & shafts delivered by sea for  about £90 / NZ$180...... if you buy second hand (a little more risky but really not much to go too wrong) presumably there'd be no import duty???? (If you want a new 7½ set up I'm sure there's a forum member or two willing to receive them, leave them in the rain for a day or two  - hence making them "used" (nice bit of surface rust) , repackage and forward on.....

Would agree with view on finned drums - look very pretty but have never noticed any discernible improvement in braking performance (and mine are a "kosher" set too!- have only ever used them on the rear though)

IMHO pay once!

#5 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Good point... Being a 73 apparently my Mini only has a single circuit brake system? Read it earlier when I was researching disc conversions, and apparently the copper hardlines to the front brakes need replacing as well as the drive flanges, where do I start? :/ I've done brake upgrades and conversions before but it's mostly been on Skylines, 200SX's etc which are obviously all disc and modern technology. If it's as easy as you say though, I'm all for it! Looking at 13x7 Revos or Force Racing rims for something different so the 8.5" metro discs and 4 pots would be the way to go yeah?

#6 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

The easiest shopping list is for a complete used 8.4" (1275GT  and post 84 mini) set up - that'd include everything you need - changes may have to be made to the inboard CV's  to suit your car - most likely to be the pot joint type on the assemblies. I've just had a quick whizz around ebay here - there are some very optimistic sellers at the mo! I wouldn't pay more than £50 for a set.....

You could look out for a set of metro four pots with vented discs etc - but the "normal" mini set up is more than up to the job without the unpleasant handling characteristics that the metro set up gives (not done it myself but there are threads on here about them)...

I think - stress think..,.single line set up is fine - unaltered for discs, but you're quite right you would need longer flexi hoses to the calipers.....

Not sure on NZ regs but discs widen the track - here arches are predominantly fitted......

#7 AGRO_RB

AGRO_RB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'd need flares for 7's anyway and I'd planned for them so no issues there :)

I didn't think of EBay, here was me thinking Id be spending 400 quid for a conversion kit from minispares!

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

I'd need flares for 7's anyway and I'd planned for them so no issues there :)
I didn't think of EBay, here was me thinking Id be spending 400 quid for a conversion kit from minispares!

Go TMF+ and get a good discount from minispares.

#9 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

If you are paying for shipping, it's going to cost the same regardless of new or old parts. At least the new ones come with new ball joints, rubbers, non rusty bolts, discs with plenty of thickness etc... You could easily spend all your money twice buying used...

Drums are fine with a 998 as long as you are sensible and don't drive it like a new car.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users