9 replies to this topic

#1 tom1

tom1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hi I am looking at using a bulkhead connector to wire up my windscreen wiper motor . what amperage will it need to be ? Can anyone tell what part to use ?

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Hi I may be thick but I don't understand where the bulkhead connector comes into play wiring up your wiper motor? the original wiper motor uses a male plug on the loom into a female on the motor assemble. Is yours damaged and you want to use something suitable ?

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

It's a 14W wiper motor so the running current is about 1.2A at 12V (or 1A with the engine running).  That's the running current though and the stall current and startup current are far higher so use something decent, wiper blades frozen to the windscreen have started many car fires!  All 5 cores are needed for the 2 speed motor.

#4 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

A bulkhead connector is basically an a bit of plate that with an electrical connector on each side, you drill/cut a hole in your bulkhead, push the plate upto the bulkhead so that 1 commector pokes through, bolt/screw it to the bulkhead, and you get a way of passing electrics through a panel and you can quickly disconnect the wires

#5 tom1

tom1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

Hi, no one could call you thick,you know you stuff ! I could have phrased the question better. It's in a motor sport mini so it's non standard. Would you say a 5 amp connector should be high enough or do I need to goto 10 amp. (The RS parts list is too long!)

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

10 amps! A stalled motor will easily exceed 5 amps.

#7 tom1

tom1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Going to try one of these

http://uk.rs-online....sket Summary-LL

#8 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

I hope you have the PROPER (and expensive) crimp tool, as otherwise the connections will turn out to be extremely unreliable. That is true of any kind of crimp, and the range and cost of tools that are needed is the biggest reason for not using them. There is no easy and satisfactory solution to that problem. Sometimes, soldering is a possibility.

If you stick to a standard type of AUTOMOTIVE connector it will be far easier to find someone with the correct crimp tool.

#9 tom1

tom1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Not a problem, this one is designed to be soldered. I do take your point  buy a inexpensive part, then spend loads of money on the right tool.

#10 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Yes, maybe £200 for certain crimp tools is not funny. I am glad that you will be soldering it. I would just not like to think of a needless fire being started by defective crimps, which does happen from time to time, and not just in cars.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users