#1 jamiewandsmurray

jamiewandsmurray

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks n Freaks Mini Club

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hi, my minis distributor has packed up so need a new one, cant tell which one i need though as its a 1980 (V Reg) and apparently this was the year they swapped from A to A+. its dated 19/05/1980, im wanting to replace my old dizzy with an electronic one but dont want to spend £60+ on the wrong thing. Anybody know the exact date they swapped over? Or could reccomend a not too expensive dizzy replacement please? Thank you

#2 pmplovesminis2006

pmplovesminis2006

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Local Club: north west mini club

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

you can tell off how the distributor is fixed if its a forked clamp its a+ or if its a round ring with a nut and bolt its a series

why dont you buy an electronic ignition kit off ebay at around £20 and fit it in your own points distributor they work great and then throw points and condensor in the bin

thanks phil

#3 jamiewandsmurray

jamiewandsmurray

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

you can tell off how the distributor is fixed if its a forked clamp its a+ or if its a round ring with a nut and bolt its a series

why dont you buy an electronic ignition kit off ebay at around £20 and fit it in your own points distributor they work great and then throw points and condensor in the bin

thanks phil

something like this?: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a8500f671

#4 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Conversion kit going for nothing here, not sure if its right for your distributor but its a bargain!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27dd2640bf

#5 pmplovesminis2006

pmplovesminis2006

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Local Club: north west mini club

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

hi same distributor as landrover item no

#6 jamiewandsmurray

jamiewandsmurray

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Slightly confused as I thought my engine was a late A series, but just checked and i have the forked clamp to the dizzy (which makes me think its a+ series) but points are blue which i thought were a series?

Is it possible its an a+ series and someone used the wrong kind of points?

(Im looking into electronic ignition kits but im totally confused as to what i actually need now!)

#7 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

Blue points are from a 59D dizzy instead of a 45D - they should last longer as they slide about a bit.

Externally they look identical, so you'll need to clean off the sides and look for the stamped identification marks.

#8 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

45D distributor is used on the pre A+ engines. the later engines have easily identifiable ribs on the block which are meant to make it stronger or something, pre A+ will be a lot smoother. I found when I was trying to change my points, the colour on the points can have absolutely no bearing as to what distributor it is as I tried to get new points and the mini expert I took the old ones to had never seen points like mine and we went through his supply to find ones to fit

pre A+ looks like this:

IMG_0646.jpg

hope this helps. I also got the accuspark conversion but I regret not just going fully electronic as I've still had problems.

Adam

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,446 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Also note the big alternator bracket on that A, as the casting was designed when dynamos walked the earth. The A+ one is about as long as it's tall. The points are interchangeable, so a poor indicator. Depends what's up with your dizzy whether a leccy kit will fix it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users