Photo
- - - - -

Can't fit my seat belts after fitting a roll cage.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:10 PM

so it is possible to get a cage and kep the standard seatbelts.

#17 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:33 PM

Yes. Thats what I'm doing at the moment. No problem at all. What you can't do is use harnesses and keep the back seat. Also, with my standard seats in and the SD door bars, you can't tip the seats forward, so people have to climb over the front seats to get in the back.

#18 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

Or you can do what I'm doing. Chop out the rear bins, and add an anchor point for the reel in the inner sills. (just in case my choice of harness may not be so road-friendly.....)

#19 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

Just a thought straight of the head, have not tried it and it may or may not work.

How about taking the pasenger belt and fitting it on the outside of the driverside bin using the original mounting, also doing the same for the passenger side??

Like I said just a thought and may be unsuitable

Fitting any safety device as NOT intended is dangerous.

In which way is that NOT intended??

Or you can do what I'm doing. Chop out the rear bins, and add an anchor point for the reel in the inner sills. (just in case my choice of harness may not be so road-friendly.....)

According to a previous post, wouldn't this be fitting a safety device as NOT intended???

#20 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:50 PM

From looking at the pic pikey posted of jammys cage, whilst the reel for the belt is in the normal position, i doubt you would be able to get the reel out of the bin due to the bar going across the top, maybe bacons problems is not enough clearance to physically get the reel into the space where it would normally fit? Does that make sence? (it does to me! :D)

#21 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:14 PM

According to a previous post, wouldn't this be fitting a safety device as NOT intended???

I would hope not! The device is being fitted as the device is intended, though it's not fitted in the configuration of the orginal vehicle. Is that "dangerous" or "illegal"...? I doubt it! I've also consulted with my friendly neighbourhood MOT man on this, and he has said that as long as it is a solid fixing (and surroundings), and that the seatbelt functions how it should do, then he can't see a problem.

While I see no qualms with what you were suggesting, I would think it's better to fix the cause of this particular problem (as to my mind it means that the cage is not fitted properly! THAT could be construed as dangerous.) rather than fixing the ensuing problem.

As for not being able to fit the reel into the space, the door bar is removeable and once removed will easily allow access to the area.

#22 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:23 PM

As for not being able to fit the reel into the space, the door bar is removeable and once removed will easily allow access to the area.

fairynuff just a thought
:D

#23 Bacon

Bacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

Cheers for all the answers people.

I'm pretty sure that the cage is fitted wright.

I've had a go at fitting the reel to the outer side of the bin but when closing the door it fouls the reel.

I really didn't want to fit harnesses as I want to keep the rear seat.

I've been thinking along the lines of fitting the reel to the outer side of the door bin but on the other face,sort of where your feet would be when sitting in the back.

Someone mentioned that they had a word with there local MOT guy,is there any minimum metal thickness or guidlines I sould follow,I'll go down tomorrow and have a would with my local guy but would like to do some sketches tonight and have a rough idea for tomorrow.

Thanks again,

#24 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

So does it actually look like the picture that I posted of Jammys cage?

#25 Bacon

Bacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

So does it actually look like the picture that I posted of Jammys cage?

No,the gap is alot smaller,I would say inch and a half maybe two at the largest point.

#26 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:45 PM

I think you just answered your own question. The cage is obviouly not in the right place then......

Up to you though, but I don't think the MOT man will consider fitting the reel to the side of the bin as "safe" on the original there are two big brackets that hold the reel to the structure of the car. You'll need a lot of steel in there to tie it back to the sill to the point where the MOT man is satisfied. IMHO.....

#27 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

as it sounds like ur cage might not be fitted quite right, why dont you take the car back to the people who fitted the cage and ask them to see if they can sort it? Unless you fitted it yourself?

#28 Bacon

Bacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

I fitted the cage myself.

If I put the cage any further back,for the rear leg to be on the arch,the front leg (the one in the bin) will have about an inch or so gap between ,it,and the floor.I'll have a look tomorrow and see but I can't see it moving back.

#29 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:22 PM

It's not an estate is it..?

#30 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:18 PM

a half inch I could maybe understand (at a push), but an inch and a half is a country mile in body terms. make sure the bar is relatively vertical, and see where it should be.

Do you still have the wheel-well padding & cover under the foot? that will make a difference, as well as any little deformation in the shape of the well.

It is just a fettling thing. You'll find that you move something a little tiny bit expecting it to make no difference, and suddenly everything moves an inch. Just have a go at shuffling things around to try to replicate the numbers on that pic as best you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users