Photo
- - - - -

About To Replace Very Worn Rubber Cones, What Else Needs To Be Replaced?

suspension

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The_Doctor

The_Doctor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:29 AM

Hi,

I've been driving around on very worn rubber cones for quite a long time now not realising that there was a problem because that was how I bought the car and just believed it to ride like that. I've seen in some threads scrambled lists of what should be replaced at the same time but I got a headache trying to make sense of it all. What I would like to know is what parts need to be replaced and where I can buy them (I need to somehow get it shipped to NZ too). I'm a novice when it comes to all of this so I need as much help as I can get. I've taken the car off the road for now while I save up for the required parts. If it's not too much to ask I would really appreciate it if I could get a link to a webpage where these parts are sold. Sorry if I'm asking for too much or if this has already been covered, I have an extremely difficult time trying to navigate the website for past threads about this topic and an even harder time trying to locate the parts online.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 Craig89

Craig89

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:49 AM

If doing the job yourself you will need a cone compressor tool to remove the front cones. A good scissor type ball joint splitter is also recommended as the top arm will have to be removed when changing the front cones.

I personally buy most things from minispares.com, I'm sure they deliver to NZ, but that would have to be checked.

When I overhalled my suspension I pretty much did everything, off the top of my head this included:

Front:

Cones
Hi-lo trumpets
Knuckle joints
Top arm new Bush and pin kit
Lower arm bushes
Tie rod bushes

Whilst in the area you can check the hubs (ball joint play and wheel bearings)

Rear:

Cones
Hi-low trumpets
Knuckle joints
Radius arm pin and bush kit (special reamer required if doing yourself)

Wheel bearings could be checked also.

I think that's everything but it is early (or late for me after my night shift) so I may have missed something

#3 The_Doctor

The_Doctor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:01 AM

Hi Craig89,

Thanks for your reply, very informative! I do have one question though. If I were to use the old trumpets and put new cones on would that be possible or would they have damage or is it just impossible to use new cones with them?

Edited by The_Doctor, 27 January 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#4 Shagsta

Shagsta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

A lot of guys in New Zealand use Lee at Mini Bitz in Auckland. I have found it cheaper if you are needing a lot of parts ordering from either mini spares or mini sport in England. Just remember that if you order from overseas to add in the cost of duty and tax when it gets here as that can catch some people out.

#5 stealth05

stealth05

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hi Craig89,

Thanks for your reply, very informative! I do have one question though. If I were to use the old trumpets and put new cones on would that be possible or would they have damage or is it just impossible to use new cones with them?

you can use your old trumpets with out any problems but would recommend replacing the knuckle joint and cup ,you will find your mini sits a lot higher with the new cones than it did with the old worn ones that is why people fit  hi los at the same time so you can adjust the height of your mini to suit your requirements .Would also replace suspension arm bushes while you have it in bits and make sure everything is all greased back up when reassembled .

regards dav

Edited by stealth05, 27 January 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

If you are going to all of this effort to replace the cones and other suspension parts it may pay you to buy a front and rear Hi Lo kit. You use this instead of the old trumpets. You do not have to lower the car but it gives you flexibility to do so if you wish later on.

Also there is the odd occasion where you cannot get the old cone of the trumpet. Now in thus case you can either spend time trying to cut off / grind off the old cone trying to leave the trumpet intact or if you have spares laying around fit a second hand cone.

It's always worth replacing the knuckles and cups though no matter what.

#7 Mr Joshua

Mr Joshua

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Local Club: Rebels mini club

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

You dont need a ball joint splitter! All you need to do is hit the end of the arm with a heavy hammer. A few blows will shock the ball joint out of the taper and you wont have gone anywhere the ball joint with tools.

#8 Craig89

Craig89

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

When doing my front cones one of the cones was stuck to the trumpet, and as said above, I had to cut the trumpet to get it out.

It's not essential to fit hi-lows but be aware incase the above happens

#9 The_Doctor

The_Doctor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone know where I can find clear instructions or a video showing how to do the replacement? I've tried looking at the Haynes Manual but if anyone knows where to find a video that would be a lot easier.

Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users