#1 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: I don't play well with others

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:42 PM

Hi, I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject of turbocharging (i get very bored at work) and i began to wonder how many people have turbo setups that are not MG based? for example not using all the kit from the MG metro (manifolds, carb, etc). Anyone got something diffrent?

Yeti

#2 flameredturbo

flameredturbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

Hiya Ben,
Alot of guys use a T2 from R5s i think, different manifold smaller turbo less lag, someone will have plenty to say about them and any other conversions that are around.
Loads of mental turbo nuts on here!

il pop over yours at some point and show you what the good old T3 metro setup is like!

#3 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

I heard the T2 was popular, i was wondering if anyone used a suck though turbo rather than a blow though, i know there is arguments for both.

That would be cool richard, i'd like to see what a turbo mini is like up close (mostly used to see them flying by....), reason being i would like to have a looky is that a few of my friends have just got themselves big jap turbo cars, and the kick of the turbo made me smile like a loon.... i want one of my own!

Yeti

#4 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

there's quite a few different routes available.

1. standard T3 setup
2. T2/T25 onto a metro manifold with an adaptor plate (the route i'll be taking after the summers over)
3. T2/T25 onto mirage manifolds
4. Janspeed stylee over the clutch housing.

aswell as all the custom type setups people have done.

I'd say in order of ease of fitting it'd be 1, 3, 2, 4. in my opinion. i'm running a stock T3, my mates got the mirage setup which is a hell of a lot quicker/nicer then my car. I dont have £350 to spunk on manifolds though so a T2 on an adapter plate is going to be my choice :proud:

#5 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:47 AM

I couldnt justify the cash for a mirage kit either. Ive just bought a brand new TD02 Turbo and a 12tonne pipe bender :proud:

I will be fabricating a manifold to suit the turbo (which is smaller than a T2 but Suited to a 1.8 IIRC), Then i will be fitting a Megajolt System for mappable Ignition. All this is on a non-MG unit as im using a 28cc Head which works out at 8.4:1CR. Ive been running it at around 8psi and had no problems, but will be going for 10psi when i take it to germany later this year.

Its all theory, and in my head.. but im 90% sure its going to work :crazy:

#6 josh_tacon

josh_tacon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

bud, me and my dad was planning on putting a t2 turbo over the clutch housing, but i didnt relise that a company made them!
do they still make them? have they got a site etc?
or will i have to fabricate my own?

surly it is the best place for a turbo to sit? as it would get more air etc to it? could be wrong though!

cheers
josh

#7 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

the janspeed was an aftermarket conversion for the metro....rare as rocking horse poo and they don't fit a mini as far as i know.

If you're going for an over the clutch housing jobby then its all custom i think.

IMO the easiest/cheapest way for a T2 conversion is onto the metro manifold. having the turbo round the back or at the side wouldn't make a great deal of deal difference i dont think. We know they can make over 200hp round the back anyway so why re-invent the wheel?

#8 josh_tacon

josh_tacon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

i was just thinking of ways to keep it all cooler and to save the bulkhead!
also it would make easyer access to everything on the turbo!?

just a thought

cheers
josh

#9 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:53 PM

Hiya Ben,
Alot of guys use a T2 from R5s i think, different manifold smaller turbo less lag, someone will have plenty to say about them and any other conversions that are around.
Loads of mental turbo nuts on here!

il pop over yours at some point and show you what the good old T3 metro setup is like!

i wouldent say alot!

i will be looking at the T2 like bud at the end of the year, i do run a T3 at the moment and have to say i have been happy with it

#10 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

yeah i've been happy with my T3, but since going in my mates T2 powered car i can see what all the fuss is about to be honest.....i neeeeeeed a T2 :(

#11 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:43 PM

having never driven a turbo mini, whats the diffrenc between a t3 and t2, what makes you want to change?

#12 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:00 AM

the main reason has got to be spooling, and response

#13 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

yup thats pretty much spot on dude.

In my car with a T3 you get a massive kick in the arse about 3.5k as it comes on full boost. the wheels will spin up easily and it has a habit of trying to throw you across the road if it grips.

My mates car is totally different though, you can actually hear and feel the turbo spooling up as soon as he pulls away, he just stamps his foot down and its there on boost straight away, there's no lag at all compared to mine.

#14 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:49 AM

This is my new turbo :( Compared to a T3 it looks sooo tiny.... This is a Garrett TD02.

Posted Image

#15 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:44 AM

So, from what you have said, you get a bigger boost from the t3, but only after 3500rpm and the t2 gives a smaller kick but as soon as you press the go pedal?

Yeti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users