#76 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,967 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

As far as a tensioner goes, would it not work if you had 2 curved tensioners that were fixed to a back plate with one or both being adjustable, but where the whole assembly could float from one side to the other allowing one of the chain runs to be perfectly straight between the gears when under load, and moving across to the other side when on the overrun ?? Or possibly an idler running on the outside of the chain on the overrun side. Surely the loads on overrun are a lot less than when under power/load ??

Stu

What about a Hydraulic Tensioner?  Some bits could be found from an old Auto Box for this.

#77 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Local Club: A5 & Mini Mainiacs

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:15 AM

Blimey, I'd forgotten all about this topic  >_<

I'll be honest with you guys, the engine I was going to have a mess with is still sat in the garage undergoing a turbo conversion...

A duplex or even a triplex chain/sprockets should do the job without a tensioner really due to the short length but it may well be needed as the centres between the sprockets depend upon chain pitch and number of teeth per sprocket. This can be messed with to an extent but the tensioner may be useful to take up a little slack. Not ideal but not impossible.

This really shouldn't be too difficult to put together, i've got all the bits at work it's just getting the time to do it and I'm weary about putting an experimental setup in my only car  O_O This might be sorted in the next few weeks though (tasty motor in my sites at the moment) so i may well give it a try.

It would be interesting to see the benefits of the more efficient chain drive over regular spur gears.

i will have a little nose at the X3 X5 set-ups though.

Rhys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users