#1 CooperMad93

CooperMad93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Not sure I like the suspension setup on my mini atm the lad that had it before me put it a tad bit too low on the rear and it loves the scrape the arches, how do you set up the suspension? is there a set number of inches that would be ideal for the handling? i honestly have no idea so if anyone knows i'd be thankful! 

#2 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

The optimum ride height for a road going Mini is standard. 

That is the fact and many people agree (although the same number will disagree and will insist that lowered is better)

#3 CooperMad93

CooperMad93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

cheers harry will get it put to standard

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,901 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Pm cooperman on here and he will give the low down on suspension.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

The best setting for normal or quick (for a Mini) road use is standard as in the original BMC/BLMC/Rover workshop manual.

The set the toe-out on the front to 1 mm. Ideal caster is 3 to 3.5 degrees, but to alter this requires adjustable tie bars.

Measure the rear when it is at standard ride height and make sure the rears are toeing-IN 1 mm to 2 mm and that the rear wheels have zero to 0.5 degrees negative camber.

For racing performance, and only for racing, a lowered car with certain different settings is what is needed, but you don't set a road Mini up like a track car unless you want to go around corners more slowly!

#6 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

in the V.W. world, i have seen the sticker "IF IT AINT RUBBIN' IT AINT DUBBIN" lol

but seriously, cars of any make may arguably look great when they are absolutely on the floor, but its only any good if its a static show car. regardless of handling, having your teeth shaken out because the car is on the bump stops isnt very comfortable!

#7 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

in the V.W. world, i have seen the sticker "IF IT AINT RUBBIN' IT AINT DUBBIN" lol
 !

That says it all about a lot of the VW scene, it's all about look and nothing about performance. I used to get really irritated when we owned our campervan, I had it as a fun family camper van, not to get into a 'scene' so got more than a little annoyed when idiots would keep going on about how it needed to be slammed (I hate that term). This was usually at petrol stations or just walking past as I was working on it (which was very often, horrible horrible things). So just because some muppet thinks so, I am going to trash the handling and risk the safety of my family? Er, no I think. We only went to a couple of shows, at one we were stuck for half an hour while they towed out a splitty that had got stuck after putting one wheel onto the grass, it couldn't have had more than two inches clearance.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

As many will know, I've been involved with the classic Mini for around 53 years. I driven them wearing flared trousers, paisley-pattern shirt-tie combinations, dinner suits, winkle-picker shoes, Cuban heel boots, leather jackets, etc. I've travelled in them with girls in long dresses, mini-skirts, hot pants, flared 'flower-power' dresses (in 1967!), and so on. In fact, a 'dedicated follower of fashion' - er, maybe.

However, as an engineer, I cannot see the reason for wanting to lower a superb classic car to the point at which it becomes almost un-useable. This applies to all classics, not just Minis. It seems the VW idiots have brought stupidity to a new level, as Clive illustrates.

The classic Mini is just that because, when introduced, it brought a completely new level of interior space compared to external dimensions, incredible road-holding, good overall handling, independent suspension, neat & functional styling and with its unique rubber-cone suspension a new level of small car ride and comfort. So how can following a styling trend of lowering it until it no longer performs properly and as intended be worth doing?

I'm sure someone will enlighten me, and a lot of others like Clive, as to what the advantages of this excessive lowering actually are. It makes the car less safe, have poorer road-holding on normal roads, it spoils the handling and general feel and it makes it very uncomfortable due to the need for stiff dampers to try to stop it bottoming out on bumps. It ruins the original performance. 

How is that any sort of improvement? To me it just f***s-up a beautifully engineered classic car. It almost makes me want to turn to MGB's where the owners like to keep them original to celebrate another true classic.

Yes, I know "it's your car and you can do as you like with it", but that doesn't make true classic car enthusiasts like or respect it, in the same way as if you owned a classic painting like the Mona Lisa you could draw a Hitler moustache on it, or if you owned a Supermarine Spitfire you could paint it yellow with purple spots. You could always buy a beautiful piece of Chippendale furniture and paint it white using Dulux gloss paint as a 'modification'.

It's sacrilege really.

#9 661

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

Reviving this as it doesn't answer my problem

Where do you measure ride height?

Just bought a 'project' and the arches have been trimmed back to fit a zeemax kit, therefore the wheel to arch measure is not available. It has hi-los on presently, set at fitting stupidly low.

On other cars I've measured ground to chassis. Are there accepted height figures available for the standard car and a  place to measure?

#10 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Ive always measured to the lip of the sill

#11 661

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

....and the figures    :)

#12 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

I like my lowered cars, but not mini. Mine is all upgraded but still set to the original height. Loads better, looks better too I think

Edited by megamini_jb, 06 June 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

My 1993 sprite is at 250 mm all round from the sill lip

#14 661

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

My 1993 sprite is at 250 mm all round from the sill lip

Thanks. Do you think that is pretty standard? Are they usually same front and back, ie no rake?

#15 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

Reviving this as it doesn't answer my problem

Where do you measure ride height?

Just bought a 'project' and the arches have been trimmed back to fit a zeemax kit, therefore the wheel to arch measure is not available. It has hi-los on presently, set at fitting stupidly low.

On other cars I've measured ground to chassis. Are there accepted height figures available for the standard car and a  place to measure?

I asked a similar question a while back here's the thread. A-Cell gives the actual stock trumpet length which you can adjust your hi-los to.

http://www.theminifo...ght-difference/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users