#1 RammsteinMini

RammsteinMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Clan

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

i was driving my mini earlier on today and as i was approaching a "mini" roundabout ('scuse the pun :w00t: ), a little silver mini passed ascross (from right to left). i was turning left anyway so i came out behind him and proceeded to drive along the road for about a mile. i got a good look at his car, a silver mini on a '72 J plate. he had some phat monte carlo arches, 13x7 minilites, rear louvre, it was even badged as an Austin Seven (although it had MK4 lights!) i mean this car was mint! it seemed heavily modified and i swear i seen a diff at the rear! anyways, everyone we drove past smiled seeing this nice silver mini and my little '84 primrose yellow mayfair. he must have seen me in his rear mirror as i was behind for a good distance. So we get to another roundabout and he is going left and i'm going straight on. as he pulls into his lane i draw up alongside to smile and wave and give the good old "nice car mate" gesture. he takes one glance to the right, makes a "look at that piece of cr*p face" and turns left. i was horrified! every mini owner i've met has smiled, flashed lights, given a toot, i even got talking to the owner of a tahiti blue cooper in a KFC car park for about 20 mins one day! but i've never had a reaction like that! i wished at that point that i had a button to press that sounded off an obscenity of some sort for his bare-faced rudeness!!!

anyway, point-less rant over, just had to get it out; but i was wondering has anyone else met someone like this man that seems to be mini mad, but cleary not in the spirit of things?? i mean i even had a non-mini-classic car driver wave at me today and i waved back, but to not have a fellow mini lover and driver even acknowledge my existence sickens me to the teeth! >:w00t:

sorry for this extra long post but as you can probably tell, i was and am annoyed!!!

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:37 PM

Us 944 owners get it a lot from the 911 and Boxster owners a lot. A 944 sees another 944, and 9 times out of 10 theres a flash and a wave thrown. The rear engined brigade don't even bother.

You get used to it. All you can do is be friendly, and if the other guy has repetitive strain disorder of the wrist, it's his problem.

It was probably his wifes car anyway while the Bini's in the shop! :w00t:

#3 TWICEmonkey

TWICEmonkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Local Club: A-Serious.com & TMF

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:38 PM

Too right mate. This prink obviously doesn't understand the importance of even the worst condition Mini on the road. My mate drives a silver city e and it looks like a pile of poo in some places, yet we passed by some guy in a mint cooper and he was happy enough to wave, like every Mini owner should.

He obviously ain't a proper Mini enthusiast.

#4 retrodan

retrodan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: kentish mini's

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

never happened to me but i fell ur pain!!! i do believe there are plenty of mini owners who have very nice cars some with very special engines who just look down at people how might not have such nice cars but then not everyone has the money/time or skills to do this, but even with a nice mini peps should be friendly to other mini drivers its the spirit is it not??? :w00t:

#5 fairshepherd

fairshepherd

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:43 PM

Simler thing happend to me the other day as i passed somone in a clubman gave them the normal friendly wave and he just gave me a dirty look. thought it maybe because i have a standard shape and he had a clubman and id broken some unwritern rule :'(

#6 93-rio

93-rio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen mini owners club (AMOC)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like a bit of a to55er to me. I try to wave to all the minis that i see-regardless of spec/condition. Seems that this guy just doesnt get out enough. Must of been shell shocked at seeing another mini after being in his garage spendin all of his cash and time, and forgot about a thing called manners, but not everybody is as cool as us guys :w00t: lol

#7 RammsteinMini

RammsteinMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Clan

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

couldn't have sed it better myself 93-rio!!

actually, reading the replies, i'd like to ask if there is anyone out there that has got a proper tricked out mini (with an R1 engine in the back or a Chevy V8 upfont or something outrageous like that!) if they're willing to admit that they infact have looked down on a "lesser" mini. it seems like there is some sort of class divide out there! :w00t:

which, if there is in any case, i'm proud to represent the working class! anyone with me?? hehe

#8 93-rio

93-rio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen mini owners club (AMOC)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

I'd like to hope that this is a rare occurance and you just caught the guy on a bad day(maybe he was having his period). I dont want a class divide thats why i bought a mini it deffies the class system :w00t:

Note how i said HE dont want a sex war aswell as class. :w00t:

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

Well i'll wave and smile at any and every Mini (& variant) from 1959-2000, but I have only given a blank look to a person who once waved at me as they were in a BINI and sorry I draw the line there! :w00t:

But yeah a bloke in a lovely black 1275GT once looked at me like I was mad or something when I flashed and gave him the thumbs up sign, but that was a decade or so back. :w00t:

#10 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

My mate drives a silver city e and it looks like a pile of poo in some places, yet we passed by some guy in a mint cooper and he was happy enough to wave, like every Mini owner should.

it only look po in places because i carnt be A55ED to do it the mo, i was in wallington the other day and was sitting in traffic at lights and a bini was trying to pull out of side road behind, trying to get into the other lane next to me, but his windows were down and he was rantin and raving about the fumes coming from the back of my car (still on choke at the time, forgot it was on) so i suddenly got a spasm in my right foot, and simotaniously my engine revs increased, dunno what happened there :w00t:

the little south london 'pretty boy' in his bini didn't look very impressed, i was just laughing at him so he proceeded to 'crank up' his stereo, pulled up next to me, then tried to race me off the lights, his engine reving, silly prat left his hand brake on!!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :(

silly bini, mini will always win, if we dont beat them with speed we'll beat them with style!!!!!!!! B)

gaz

#11 seemax

seemax

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: MINIHOLICS

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

Driving down the A5 this morning and I was flashed by one Eddie Stobart Lorry and it's driver leaned forward and gave me the thumbs up. It's a great feeling that someone not driving a Mini can appreciate the finer things in life :w00t: and you'll probably find the chap that looked at you in disgust, was probably jealous. It can happen in the strangest of circumstances. :w00t:

#12 Mini Mad Rich

Mini Mad Rich

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Local Club: Leamington Spa Mini Massive

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

I'v wave and flash to every classic Mini I see and I'v had about 3 people just ignore me :w00t:
Oh well there loss I spose :w00t:

Rich

#13 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

every (classic) mini, no matter what it's condition, is worthy of praise and respect.

and seemax mate, i believe that lorry driver was our fellow club member Andy,

i was two cars behind you, and he was hanging out of the truck at me as well :w00t:

#14 seemax

seemax

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: MINIHOLICS

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

Andy works for Eddie ?

Booger me ! :w00t:

#15 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

I think you have to remember that not everyone who has a mini is into the mini scene,
Some will be learner drivers who have just passed,
and so wont understand (yet) the waving and the flashing!!
But then some people are just bum holes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users