43 replies to this topic

#1 lawrie124

lawrie124

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

So here goes, my 2014 season of Oval Circuit racing.

So what's the appeal? Well, having realised that go karting was FAR too expensive for my liking, I bought my lad (aged 12) an oval circuit mini and off he went, racing in the Juniors. Great fun for a youngster, and it kept me busy spannering particularly when he hit the wall a few times. Couldn't see the attraction myself, until the end of season "Dad's" race; blimey! ... going round in circles for 15 laps hardly sounds exhillarating, but by god I loved it.

... and yes, we used to rent space in a yard that was once a Cowshed.

So £500 or so buys you a caged mini, with a bucket seat, cambered front n/s wheel, and not much in the way of creature comforts. Just take a helmet, overalls and fuel and off you go. That's budget motorsport!

2 years on and my (now 15 year old) has "retired", and I'm well and truly hooked.

So basicall it's anything between 10 and 15 1 litre cars (mostly mini's and the pesky novas) going hammer and tongs for 15 laps, then repeat twice more and (if you're lucky) take a trophy home at the end of the day.

Last Sunday was meeting 2 of the year (I race at Standlake Arena, ably assisted by the aforementioned now 15 year old chief mechanic) and having replaced the engine after the first meeting of the year (loss of oil pressure) things didn't quite go according to plan as it was misfiring higher up the rev range, but given the damp/wet conditions that didn't really matter as everyone was struggling for grip.

Having run a compression test today, all is well, so hopefully just running far too rich and we're all sorted for the next meeting in a couple of weeks.

Meantime, chief mechanic is rebuilding a 1974 mini, and I've got a mini van to put an new floor in, in the slim chance of it making it to the Nurburgring in mid April, else I'll take my eldest lad's mini. Well, once I've swapped the engine and refitted the interior, and also finished painting and help putting back together my mates daughters hornet. Never a dull day! Oh, and I'd better strip down and diagnose the low oil pressure engine, ready for when the current one goes pop.

So I think that's me sorted for next meeting; here's to a dry day!

Mike

Edited by lawrie124, 04 March 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#2 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

• Members
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Sounds awesome Mike pop some photos up ;) do you ever race at Northampton?

#3 charliebudd

charliebudd

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

I started at standlake, found a video of my first race in 2004 the other day ! great fun. I am going to try and make it in the next month to come down and watch, when you next out mate ? 

#4 geoff-d

geoff-d

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

There you go if interested juniors & Prod A is the mini racing

MARCH 16th - Street Bangers up to 1800cc
Juniors, Prod A, Hot Rods, 1450’s, Saloon Rods, Saloon Stox   -  No Drift Rods or F2 Stox

MARCH 30th - National Micro Bangers
Juniors, Prod A, 1450's, Saloon Rods, F2 Stox, Drift Rods.   -   Hot Rods or Saloon Stox  

APRIL 13th - National Bangers England v Wales - Mondeos / No Mondeos, invite only teams     We are not doing this 1
Juniors, Prod A, Hot Rods, 1450’s, Saloon Rods, Saloon Stox   -  No Drift Rods or F2 Stox 

APRIL 21st (Bank Holiday Monday) - National Oldschool Bangers up to 1800cc Street Banger build, No Mondeos
Juniors, Prod A, 1450's, Saloon Rods, F2 Stox, Drift Rods.   -   Hot Rods or Saloon Stox 

MAY 5th (Bank Holiday Monday) - Street Bangers up to 1800cc Fun Day - Hare & Hounds race / ramp rollover / chain race / pitstop race.

MAY 18th - National Unlimited & 1800cc Non-Mondeo Bangers

MAY 26th (Bank Holiday Monday) - Street Bangers up to 1800cc & Caravan Demolition Derby

JUNE 8th - 2 Litre Teams £500 Summer Open - Money to be split between winners and entertainers.

JUNE 22nd - Street Bangers up to 1800cc

JULY 6th - Mike Hook Memorial - Pre 85 Under 1800cc & Unlimited National Bangers. No Supras/Mk.3 Granadas/Jag XJ40s. All ages Limo/Hearse/Yank allowed.

JULY 20th - Street Bangers up to 1800cc

AUGUST 3rd - Trigger Memorial Unlimited National Bangers

AUGUST 25th (Bank Holiday Monday) - Big Van National Bangers plus Street Bangers up to 1800cc.
Big Vans - 3.5ton limit, no large buses, truck chassis or chassis cabs. £50 smartest van.

SEPTEMBER 7th - Old Boys Unlimited National Bangers plus Micro National Bangers
Old Boys - no Supras or Lexus. Booking in only so we can keep a handle on numbers expected. Full build rules and eligibility to follow.

SEPTEMBER 21st - Street Bangers up to 1800cc

OCTOBER 5th - National Banger 1650cc Teams of 4. (No Mondeo)

OCTOBER 19th - Street Bangers up to 1800cc

NOVEMBER 2nd - Big Bang Bonfire Unlimited & 2 Litre National Bangers
A decision will be made closer to the date as to whether any class's will be dropped.

NOVEMBER 16th - Street Bangers up to 1800cc

Edited by geoff-d, 05 March 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#5 lawrie124

lawrie124

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Sounds awesome Mike pop some photos up ;) do you ever race at Northampton?

nope, never raced at Northampton but been there a few times to watch the National Bangers.

Here's a few random photos:

Attached Images

• 20120520212409-68de59e5-me.jpg
  • DSCF1879.JPG
  • geoff1.jpg
  • race2.jpg
  • 20120409220713-986284b8.jpg
  • 20120409220809-06d11bf1.jpg
  • 1.jpg

#6 charliebudd

charliebudd

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Is there any racing on this weekend?

#7 charliebudd

charliebudd

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Is there any racing on this weekend?

#8 geoff-d

geoff-d

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

16th is the next meeting at standlake

#9 lawrie124

lawrie124

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Right, so a nice warm sunny day of racing due this Sunday.

I've leaned off the fuel/air on the carb, in the hope that will cure the poor running from last meeting, but I'll stick the gas analyser on it tomorrow too, and maybe even treat it to some new spark plugs (bit of a blow, this is budget motorsport!).

Just leaves a quick wash (that's a reference to the car, not me) and battery charge, and I'll be good to go. And I might even get 'round to moving the seat back now my son's not using the car, and stick a new rear arch on to keep the scrutineers happy.

bring it on!

Mike

#10 charliebudd

charliebudd

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

How did you get on ? 

#11 lawrie124

lawrie124

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

How did you get on ? 

Hi Charlie.

Cracking day of racing; really hot, and a dry track for a change.

Just a bit bitter sweet as I think I've cooked my engine (suspect main bearing), but a small price to pay. Best raid the shed for another block!

Mike

#12 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Great thread! Will be good to see how you get along. I am gonna tag Sam and get him to bring the clubby ip swan lake for a race this year.

#13 lawrie124

lawrie124

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

There is racing on this weekend at standlake, and the England vs Wales bangers will be good (if last year is anything to go by) but Cowshed Racing are off to Nurburg for a bit of driving and tourist laps :-)   ... in a mini, of course.

#14 lawrie124

lawrie124

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

OK, so back from the Nurburgring and *nearly* ready for a day of racing on Monday.

Hopefully the fitting of a thermostat and a different radiator has sorted the cooling issues, so just an oil leak to investigate.

bring it on; seems like a long time since we were out racing.

#15 lawrie124

lawrie124

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Great day of racing yesterday. New thermostat to replace the blanking plate, and different rad seems to have sorted the overheating problems.

just a couple of oil leaks to trace, otherwise all ready to race next bank holiday Monday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users