Photo
- - - - -

Is it possible to start without any choke?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 RammsteinMini

RammsteinMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Clan

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

i find i need a little choke to start it and then i have to wait until its warmed up well before i take it off. if i don't have the choke on (even in this weather) and the engine is even a little warm, it tends to chug a little in the low rev range but then it gets to a point where its up and off, but if i use a little choke, i don't get that problem. any ideas why that is? too lean maybe? i think i'm gonna get it set up properly after i come bak from my holiday.

#17 Deceptacon

Deceptacon

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:10 AM

Thats what I think is up with mine Rammstein!The car hesitates upon acceleration during the warmup period and will start without choke but will idle to low and the engine will die, I can also start it by pumping the accelerator, same effect I guess!

I'm thinking too lean?
And what is the correct idle speed?Mine is around 1000.

#18 RammsteinMini

RammsteinMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Clan

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:23 AM

Deceptacon, forgot to mention that its also pretty sluggish when it is totally warmed up, its only occasional at that point but it still does it. although mine dusn't die unless i've just started it and the choke is off. not sure about idle speed, i think its about 1000, maybe a little quicker if its warm. do you think taking it to a rolling road to get set up would sort it or can it be fixed at home by adjusting the jet? i'm just afraid that i might not get it right and end up using too much fuel in the higher revs and wasting money! :P

#19 miniman/nico

miniman/nico

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Local Club: tmf

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:05 AM

mine starts without choke even in winter on the coldest morining with one turn and it ticks over a 980 rpm

#20 clarks.2006

clarks.2006

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:28 AM

Hesitation on startup and chugging is because the choke isn't out enought i had it on one of my minis where the cable wasn't set up properly. On the mini i have now though the car starts first time because the chocke is constanly stuck on >:) cant wait till i get my new carb :P

#21 Barnett

Barnett

Michael Jackson has died...*plop*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Local Club: the freeeeloader!!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:56 PM

i get my mini tuned when i can and it looses it within a week...anybody through a bit of light on that!! ( or petrol!! ) :(

#22 The Fat Leodensian

The Fat Leodensian

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

GoD[Zander' date='Jun 8 2006, 01:49 PM' post='303162']
never had to use the choke even in cold weather starts first time everytime. i must be lucky

You running too rich are kid?

Al

GoD[Zander' date='Jun 8 2006, 01:49 PM' post='303162']
never had to use the choke even in cold weather starts first time everytime. i must be lucky

You running too rich are kid?

Al

Oh, and i find that in this weather she just needs 2 pumps on the go pedal. If i'm off to work at 6.30am she needs 1/4 choke to the end of the street. I find if there's dew on the roof, she need choke. In that little cold spell last winter she needed full choke for a mile!! (and a new thermostat :( )

Al

#23 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:51 AM

mine needs a little choke then its ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users