44 replies to this topic

#1 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

Hello, I'm Izzy, living in Auckland NZ, currently Mini less.

Although, I am trying to change that, I've got my eyes on two Minis at the moment, one I'm going to have a look at tomorrow because it's just over the bridge, but the other one is a bit harder because it's down in Palmerston North

I wouldn't mind hearing your view on which one you'd go with, the cheaper close by one is a 88 with a 1275 engine transplanted the other one is a chunk more expensive but is a 9 1.3i with a nicer interior

http://www.trademe.c...px?id=705492012

http://www.trademe.c...px?id=706115435

Your opinions would be appreciated

#2 zinzan

zinzan

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Local Club: me and my imaginary friend

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

Kia Ora!  Both very tidy cars.  Bit of a drive to Palmerston, although taking a Mini on the Desert Road run might be a lot of fun.

I lived in Glenfield up on the shore for a couple years back in the late 90s.  Miss Auckland heaps!

Good luck with your search.

#3 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

It would be a nice drive back up but a bit of a mission getting down there. They are both very tidy, I noticed a difference between then most likely, one is carbureted and the other fuel injected.

Looking on here I found that carbs are more tuneable but the fuel injected more economical and no choke but more expensive to fix if they break? Is that in the right ballpark?

Auckland is pretty nice isn't it :)

Thank you

#4 (philip)

(philip)

previously know as pw-london

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet..

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

They both look lovely, if I had to choose, and oh how I wish I did! It would be the all white one. The first link.

#5 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

Welcome to the forum

#6 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Welcome to the forum, they are both very nice looking cars being practical the carb model 1 it's nearer to you, 2 it's cheaper so if both are in you price range the cheaper one gives you 5,000 nz$ to use for any improvements you want and although I personally like injection models you are right the carb model will be easier and cheaper to maintain. But then again it's your choice and particularly with minis we tend to follow or hearts rather than our heads. Good luck, hope you get one of the two and enjoy years of mini fun.

#7 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Seems popular vote is the all white mini, my sensible side says all white mini but my 'I like shiny accessories and fancy interiors and fandangled fuel injection' says striped mini.

But that price difference I could probably easily get stripes and spot lights and a sassy leather interior.

Good thing I'm looking at the all white mini first then :)

#8 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

And thank you for the welcomes

#9 zinzan

zinzan

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Local Club: me and my imaginary friend

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

If your Mini experience ends up being like most of us, a few years from now you'll pause while fixing something and reflect "Remember back when I was debating those two Minis and thought $2k was a big money difference?"...then look at your VISA statement and laugh and laugh.  ;D

If Auckland's anything like it was back when I lived there, should be quite a few spares about.  Getting spots and interior bits and so forth shouldn't be too bad.  Or hit up anyone coming back from OE to bring back parts from the UK?

All the best!

#10 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

Haha sounds like fun times ahead. My mum had a mini when I was but a wee Las and she remembers having to check if it would start and ask for a push otherwise, hopefully my up coming experience will be a bit better with a little mechanical knowledge behind me and the in laws are big mini fans too, hopefully that will help a little as well

#11 johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

hows it mate, id be inclined to own the cheeper 1 ., 1stly its a better looking car, it has the classic mini interia unlike that ugly leather 1 , carbs are sooooooo much easier to tune and fix on the side of the road , the economy is bugger all difference and to make it start every day, good battery electronic dizzy and a decent tune , youl not have an issue.

welcome by the way

#12 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:56 AM

Sooo, just came home from seeing and going in the all white 1275a+ it is pretty mint! Paint is still very tidy from painting a few years ago, it was tuned and you can tell it pured like a kitten. Interior was really nice I liked it way more in person than in the pictures.

I'm keen beans. Just gotta do the final sums and get it checked out.

#13 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

Both look nice in the pictures but I would prefer the injection car, they are just a lot less bother day to day than carb ones.

#14 haruko

haruko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

Both look nice in the pictures but I would prefer the injection car, they are just a lot less bother day to day than carb ones.

What do you mean with it's more bother day to day? Do you mean the choke?

#15 johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

i reken you need to ask yaself a question, do you want a mini because you like the classicness of them and can take all the classic attributes or do you just like the shape but want it to drive and run like a 1994 toyota? your answer will determin the type of mini you want

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users