#17 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:22 PM

it could be a test car for rover, hence the bigger tank and 5 speed box. i have seen this Mini in the flesh, and its a mass of weird things, some things are standard, others i havnt seen before.

the 5 speed was fitted by rover, on certain cars, and those gearbox's supplied by JKD.

is this one of them?

#18 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

The 5 speed box WAS an option by Rover. Yes they were built by Jack Knight, and mostly fitted by John Cooper Garages, but it was an optional extra that appeared in the Rover brochure at the time, and you could spec it for your Mini from 1996 onwards.

I know because i bought one in 1997, with 5 speed box as just one of many optional extras that i added. Rover did fit some of the gearboxes. When my first one self destructed, Rover fitted a new one in Blackpool. The second one was done by Minisport as i had lost a bit of faith in Rover, unfortunately Minisport were even worse as that one only lasted 1000 miles. Hence why i have a 1997 Cooper S with a VTEC engine in it...!

Still don't think those gearboxes were available as far back as 1992.... Sounds like a windup to me...

#19 TWICEmonkey

TWICEmonkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Local Club: A-Serious.com & TMF

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:19 PM

Still don't think those gearboxes were available as far back as 1992.... Sounds like a windup to me...

Could very well be considering he's not replying to anything

#20 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

the other strage thjing is all the support brackets for the engine?! if they wernt bushed properly then woudent the engine shake the car apart?

#21 miniman/nico

miniman/nico

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Local Club: tmf

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

hi i will take some piccys 4 u at some poin just been busy working on the mini as i said i do not no the history of the car in the log book it says there was 3 owners but as i looked through the papper work its had 4 a male he was the first to buy it but it was bought in 91 and not driven in the log book it was only registered to the road a year later in 92 then he sold it to a old lady who bought it as a 998 after the old lady a young lad bought it ive asked him bout this stuff ive been finding and he said he didnt have a clue this was different he said he thought it was standard to have all this on it. ill take some pics to moz and ill post them cheers for the replys.and im not 100 percent sure its a 998 like it says in the log book but it seems to fast 4 a 998.

#22 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

The 5 speed box WAS an option by Rover.

No it wasn't. It (the Jack Knight version) was an option by John Cooper Garages either on the Mini Cooper Sport 5 pack or on it's own. The only Rover badged version was on the Mini Hot Rod, which was assembled by JCG on Rover's behalf. Both of the ERA development cars also had a JK 5 speed, but they weren't anything to do with Rover at all. I've got many copies of the late Mini brochures from the twin-point era and none of them list the 5 speed, and neither did the options list when we ordered a car in '98.

#23 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

No it wasn't. It (the Jack Knight version) was an option by John Cooper Garages either on the Mini Cooper Sport 5 pack or on it's own. The only Rover badged version was on the Mini Hot Rod, which was assembled by JCG on Rover's behalf. Both of the ERA development cars also had a JK 5 speed, but they weren't anything to do with Rover at all. I've got many copies of the late Mini brochures from the twin-point era and none of them list the 5 speed, and neither did the options list when we ordered a car in '98.

That's being more than pedantic don't you think....?

If you are ordering a car from new- direct from Rover- to your own spec- and a 5 speed box is one of the options- then most people would say it was an option given by Rover!!!

It's obvious the Jack Knight gearboxes weren't built by Rover- were the seats, the carpets, the steering wheels...? Nope- they were made by other manufacturers and offered as an 'optional extra'.......

I think Sy remembers spending his hard earned cash on a brand new car- and who he ordered it from!! :(

#24 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:51 AM

It was never on the Rover options list. John Cooper Garages is and was nothing to do with Rover. They are just a dealership and they fitted the 5 speeds themselves. There was a thing at the end of the Rover brochure that said you could have any car you like built however you like if you were willing to pay but that's the custom option that all car makers offer, not an option.

#25 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:54 AM

There was a thing at the end of the Rover brochure that said you could have any car you like built however you like if you were willing to pay but that's the custom option that all car makers offer, not an option.

contradiction there mate

perhaps the dealer that syholl got his mini from offered the option, it could have been dealer specific

gaz

#26 TWICEmonkey

TWICEmonkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Local Club: A-Serious.com & TMF

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

Read the whole paragraph and you'll see that your both right

The 5 speed box WAS an option by Rover. Yes they were built by Jack Knight, and mostly fitted by John Cooper Garages, but it was an optional extra that appeared in the Rover brochure at the time, and you could spec it for your Mini from 1996 onwards.

#27 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

kier mate dan was arguing that it wasn't in the brochure though

gaz

#28 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

contradiction there mate

Now that's some professional pedantry! :(:lol:^_^

And yes, that's what I meant. It was never a listed option. Rover did look at fitting the Jack Knight design to all Minis for a while when they changed to the twin point setup but decided that it was not economical for them to do that and would result in more warranty claims. Before that they made the same investigation into 5 speeds when the ERA was launched and came to the same conclusion. That's why the ERA development cars built by ERA to show to Rover had the Jack Knight box.

#29 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:15 PM

It was in the options list, and it WAS in the brochure. I had 5 different brochures from Rover before i bought the car, and i had circled all the extras that i wanted, including 5 speed box. I still remember sitting in the dealership and he clicked on the option for 5 speed gearbox amongst other things.

Here is the original Rover order form i got, with 5 speed box listed as one of the extras

Attached File  Rover_order_form2.jpg   953.48K   37 downloads

And here i am collecting it from Rover,

Attached File  Bluey3.jpg   77.19K   29 downloads

To be honest, i think it did depend on the dealership, Peter McKiernan worked at Blackpool Dutton Forshaw Rover dealership. I travelled all the way there because my local dealership in Bolton didn't offer any of the extras. They couldn't even do me a Sportspack Mini in Tahiti blue as it wasn't an available option on their computer. But it was definitely on their list of optional extras, even their demonstrator model had the 5 speed box fitted (which my sister bought about 6 months later), see below :(
Attached File  kate5.jpg   119.19K   8 downloads

#30 93-rio

93-rio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen mini owners club (AMOC)

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

So it seems the 5 speed was and wasnt an option depending on dealership. You'd have thought you'd get the same options from all dealers its not like they work for the same company is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users