IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hi all,

I just looking over the engine now its getting near completion. Got to the gear selector, I can turn the selector shaft side to side, out about a centimetre, that's it...

It doesn't feel like it can engage any gears...

While I was dismantling the diff housing, the detent spring, ball and sleeve fell out, I put it back in, but I was just wondering if there is a specific way/point it needs to go in?? And if this could be the reason it seems to not be engaging the gears...?? 

Many thanks,

Iain

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

There isn't, assuming the selector & spool were fully inserted. The ball just rides over the 3 grooves to centralise the stick in forward, neutral & back.

#3 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

does this look normal to you??

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

If you changed gear without the ball sleeve in place the spool could have shifted out of place but I didn't think you could get the sleeve fully back in if the spool was out of position.

#5 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

If you changed gear without the ball sleeve in place the spool could have shifted out of place but I didn't think you could get the sleeve fully back in if the spool was out of position.

Ahh, I did experience this, the sleeve wouldn't go back in, but I turned the shaft until it would slide back in without any force. So should it be ok then? Or is it possible to put the sleeve in 180 degrees out or something??

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

I don't think so, it looks kind of right to me.  There is only something like 25 - 30 degrees between 1 / 2 and reverse.  Can you select all 5 positions and neutral?  It won't feel like it's engaging anything especially because it's all static.

Edited by Dan, 02 April 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#7 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

I don't really know where the 5 positions should be but if they're similar to where they are on the gear stick, they yeah, i suppose it does feel like it engages something... But the most blatantly engagement is the one on the video...

I twist the shaft fully to the right and then I can push it all the way it, this is the only way i can push the shaft all the way in though...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users