21 replies to this topic

#16 Novataris

Novataris

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Is it your age or cost thats the problem with the insurance ? If it's cost by the time you have swapped the engine you could have probably paid the extra anyway.

To do the swap you would be better to get a complete engine and gearbox, plus things like the carb, distributor. The gearbox you have probably won't have the right diff ratio anyway and having a complete unit will be a lot easier to fit and get running.

I haven't used them but there is a Mini garage of some sort at Tyford near you in Winchester who might be able to help.

I fitted a 1380 engine in my 998 Mini and it's surprising just how many different parts there are, even stuff like the radiator brackets. 

I have spoken to the guys at Minis R Us in Twyford, and they couldn't give me a guide price other than a couple of grand. They reccomended that I try to call all the insurers in the Miniworld magazine and see what they will quote me for the 1300cc. So I will see what happens there. I will keep in touch with the garage at Twyford as we can assess the expense if/when I find I STILL can't get a reasonable quote from the advertised providers. We have also discussed the possibility of reducing the fee by selling them my 1300cc as part of the deal. It all depends on how much its going to cost. Ideally, obviously, I'd like to keep it as it is (less hassle and more fun) but depending on the quotations I get, that might not be feesable.

You realise that unless you change it back to an auto it's still a modification that will have to be declared. It won't cost as much with a 998 but I doubt it'll be free either.

If he changes the log book to manual then why would he have to declare the car as modded? So long as the car is standard in accordance with the VRM wouldn't this be sufficient? Agreed, better to be safe than sorry with UK insurance companies.

This is what I thought also and was told by the previous owner! The logbook declares that the car is BOTH manual AND a 1300cc, reregistered legally and properly, I even have the letter confirmation from the DVLA here. But as soon as I try to insure it, they run my plate and it brings back an auto, 998cc and then they try to hit me with modifications etc. I don't know what to do about it. It's all done legally and officially. Fyj is registered as a 1300cc Manual.

#17 Steve G

Steve G

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

I would give a few more insurance companies a try, you might find you get a better quote from a company not advertising in Mini World.

I haven't bought a car thats already been modified so I don't know how it works. If for example you bought it expecting to pay what you would for a standard production Mini because the logbook said it was a 1300 manual and you wern't aware that is has been modified what can you do.

I also own a Volvo 940 to which I fitted a 940 turbo engine. Exactly the same car as a turbo but because it's been modified I have to pay a lot more then a standard turbo costs to insure. It isn't fair but I don't see how you can get round it really.

#18 g-dog

g-dog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Local Club: mini invaders

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Are you in touch with anyone from your local mini club? I am sure there would be someone there who could genuinely help you out with swapping engines especially as you could offer the 1275 engine as payment. It's worth remembering a good 1275 engine is worth at least double maybe 3 times as much as a 998 now.
Have you tried hic insurance? There well used to minis and the mods that go with them. G

#19 clubman1976

clubman1976

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

Try footman James insurance. :-)

#20 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:37 AM

Is it your age or cost thats the problem with the insurance ? If it's cost by the time you have swapped the engine you could have probably paid the extra anyway.

To do the swap you would be better to get a complete engine and gearbox, plus things like the carb, distributor. The gearbox you have probably won't have the right diff ratio anyway and having a complete unit will be a lot easier to fit and get running.

I haven't used them but there is a Mini garage of some sort at Tyford near you in Winchester who might be able to help.

I fitted a 1380 engine in my 998 Mini and it's surprising just how many different parts there are, even stuff like the radiator brackets. 

I have spoken to the guys at Minis R Us in Twyford, and they couldn't give me a guide price other than a couple of grand. They reccomended that I try to call all the insurers in the Miniworld magazine and see what they will quote me for the 1300cc. So I will see what happens there. I will keep in touch with the garage at Twyford as we can assess the expense if/when I find I STILL can't get a reasonable quote from the advertised providers. We have also discussed the possibility of reducing the fee by selling them my 1300cc as part of the deal. It all depends on how much its going to cost. Ideally, obviously, I'd like to keep it as it is (less hassle and more fun) but depending on the quotations I get, that might not be feesable.

You realise that unless you change it back to an auto it's still a modification that will have to be declared. It won't cost as much with a 998 but I doubt it'll be free either.

If he changes the log book to manual then why would he have to declare the car as modded? So long as the car is standard in accordance with the VRM wouldn't this be sufficient? Agreed, better to be safe than sorry with UK insurance companies.

This is what I thought also and was told by the previous owner! The logbook declares that the car is BOTH manual AND a 1300cc, reregistered legally and properly, I even have the letter confirmation from the DVLA here. But as soon as I try to insure it, they run my plate and it brings back an auto, 998cc and then they try to hit me with modifications etc. I don't know what to do about it. It's all done legally and officially. Fyj is registered as a 1300cc Manual.

Hmm, stoop all day and pick up nothing. Whatever you do you can't win, years back nobody seemed to mind, just as long as the car was in accordance with the logbook, now any excuse to extort a few more pounds.

#21 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

Hmm, stoop all day and pick up nothing. Whatever you do you can't win, years back nobody seemed to mind, just as long as the car was in accordance with the logbook, now any excuse to extort a few more pounds.

Clearly the insurance database isn't up to date if they think its a 998 auto still.

If the OP puts a manual in, and the insurance database says its an auto its still going to be classed as modified.

#22 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

It's maybe not as "online" as they would have you believe....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users