Photo
- - - - -

Struggle To Get Above 60 Mph

engine

Best Answer Timcg , 10 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Wow, who would have thought a new air filter could make such a difference! Pays to check the basics. Thanks for all the suggestions

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Timcg

Timcg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

1275 engine

HIF44 Carb

New distributor (and points etc)

New plugs

New leads

Recent head gasket change (although it was crappy before that too)

New alternator

Everything else standard

So I've owned my Mini for about 6 months and it's kind of been never ending! The performance has never been great, much worse than my old 998.

Currently it's quick off the line, nice acceleration in 1st and 2nd, change up into 3rd just shy of 30mph, then accelerating in 3rd feels and bit flat and "chuggy" and by 40-45mph feels like it needs 4th gear, then slowly creeps up to 50-55mph and that's pretty much all it will give me. On a good flat run, with the wind behind me, I'll get up to 65mph, but put a hill in front of me and. . .

I think it has to be a combination of timing and mixture strength as in the past, when I first got the car, I was zipping along the motorway at 70-75 no problem. But that was before it started falling apart around me :)

Current set up:

Timing's ended up at about 10deg at 1000revs (vac pipe disconnected and hole in the carb plugged). That's done by timing light after reading lots of topics on here, and also roughly where it's ended up after the "advance till it sounds right" and "revs at 2000, advance as mush as you can, then back off until you drop 250 revs" methods. So the two main "feel of it methods" always end up at roughly the same place as where the timing light people say to set it.

Mixture strength. I set the collar level with the bridge in the carb, then two turns clockwise of the screw to richen it up as per general advice on here. I'm currently about a quarter turn weaker than that following the "weaken until it almost dies then gradually strengthen until about right" method.

So as you can see my timing is with 1-2 degrees around where the various advice says it should be and my mixture strength is within a quarter turn of where the various advice says it should be.

So my question is, is my mixture and timing about where it should be? And what else should I be looking at now?

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,492 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Bin the points and buy an electronic dizzy, far more reliable

#3 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

check valve lash  (gap)

new / clean air filter

I would fit electric module in the dizzi & time that up with correct coil & wiring (12v)

oil in dash pot ?

#4 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

This is why I upgraded to a proper digital advance timing light, I now set mine to 32 btdc at 4000 rpm with the vacuum attached, runs bang on. Is it possible you are still not getting full advance, possibly something fouling the points or the weights not correct for the car or just not working properly? Can you see the vac advance and the mechanical advance when using a timing light to check they are at least both working?

I have had two standard 998 minis an SPI cooper and an MPI Cooper and the well set up 998 with a lucas sport coil/electronic ignition module isnt that much slower IMO, up the lanes here my city e with its nicely set up carb is really nippy it only really feels slow when joining a main road of flowing traffic.

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

What needle is in the carb? and what air cleaner are you running? standard by your listing? is it weak on the needle above where your setting the mixture at idle, as a quick test go out and give the car throttle to where its struggling and slightly pull the choke out this will richen the mixture and pinpoint if its weak on the various points on the needle.

Have you pulled the plugs after a good run and done a plug reading?

#6 Timcg

Timcg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Ok, I think the air filter will be first to be changed. It's grubby, and replacing it with a cone has been on the list for ages. I'll stop playing with the mixture strength for a while and take it on a longer run - could even cross the Tamar and visit Kernow lol

#7 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Cone filter will make it run lean though with a standard needle, I'll put the kettle on ;D

#8 Timcg

Timcg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:14 PM   Best Answer

Wow, who would have thought a new air filter could make such a difference! Pays to check the basics. Thanks for all the suggestions

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Your quoted speeds for change up seem very low if you are seeking good acceleration.

Try going to 25 to 30 in 1st, 45 to 50 in 2nd, 65 to 70 in 3rd, then into top. That works with a 3.44 FDR. A higher FDR will allow more speed in each gear.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users