Photo
- - - - -

Minispares Vs Mini Sport Geometry Kit

Best Answer Cooperman , 13 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

To agree with one of the above comments - there is little point in setting all the suspension accurately unless the front sub-frame is solid mounted (and not with poly mountings).

On my 'S' I just run the 1.5 neg fixed length lower arms and use the Mini Spares offset bushes to achieve the same both sides. I also use adjustable tie-bars.

The rear I set using shims, filing the radius arm pin outer bracket hole and welding a large washer on to keep it all in place.

Mini Spares part numbers:

21A1091 Adjustable tie bar

C-AJJ3364 Lower arm, 1.5 degrees

C-STR631 Lower arm bush, competition quality

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Hi all, I'm considering two geometry kits for a fast road set up. Any comments on which is *better in terms of quality and handling?

Minispares MSSK3013 

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Mini Sport SUSKIT7B

http://www.minisport...oly-bushes.html

Thanks!

#2 dennismini93

dennismini93

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Local Club: nsmoc

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

the minispares one is fully adjustable the minisport one isnt. this means you can get the set up even and how you want it but the fixed nature of the minisport one (apart from the tie bars) will leave it a little hit and miss. cooperman put the ideal set up on here a few weeks ago, i'll try and find it for you

#3 dennismini93

dennismini93

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

http://www.theminifo...up#entry3020636

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,042 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

For a road car it is not necessary to buy all that kit. Fine for competition where a few 1/10ths of a second per lap are important.

Just get the adjustable tie-bars and, if running 10" or 12" wheels the 1.5 deg neg camber fixed front lower arms and the offset bushes for fine adjustment.

The rear can be set by filing/shimming, then welding a large washer in place to hold the settings.

The ideal settings are as the post mentioned above.

Please remember, you are trying to achieve better road holding and better handling, but they are not the same thing at all.

#5 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:00 AM

Thanks Dennis for finding that post, good information! Cooperman yes, handling is what i want to achieve not necessarily holding. I guess I'll shoot for this then?

http://www.minisport...lower-arms.html

Cheaper too!  :proud:

#6 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

Become a TMF+ member (costs a fiver a year) and you get 7.5% off with minispares

#7 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

The only problem with adjustable bits is they need, adjusting...! I got the above MiniSpares kit minus the rear arms, I ordered some KAD ones for the rear. I don't know how good you are at setting all this up, I took my car to a guy called Dave, from Track Road and Race in Northampton back in January this year. I had fitted all new suspension and waited for it all to settle in then spent the day with Dave who set up everything for road use. Drives a whole lot better than any where near I had it...!

#8 dennismini93

dennismini93

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

The only problem with adjustable bits is they need, adjusting...! I got the above MiniSpares kit minus the rear arms, I ordered some KAD ones for the rear. I don't know how good you are at setting all this up, I took my car to a guy called Dave, from Track Road and Race in Northampton back in January this year. I had fitted all new suspension and waited for it all to settle in then spent the day with Dave who set up everything for road use. Drives a whole lot better than any where near I had it...!

whats the car like compared to standard with your set up?

#9 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

So much better, even just changing to the new bits was good, then having it correctly set up it made a huge difference. I also went to solid front mounts all round so that probably in itself made a massive difference, but I never ran it with making small changes, just one huge change!!

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,042 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:49 AM   Best Answer

To agree with one of the above comments - there is little point in setting all the suspension accurately unless the front sub-frame is solid mounted (and not with poly mountings).

On my 'S' I just run the 1.5 neg fixed length lower arms and use the Mini Spares offset bushes to achieve the same both sides. I also use adjustable tie-bars.

The rear I set using shims, filing the radius arm pin outer bracket hole and welding a large washer on to keep it all in place.

Mini Spares part numbers:

21A1091 Adjustable tie bar

C-AJJ3364 Lower arm, 1.5 degrees

C-STR631 Lower arm bush, competition quality

#11 dennismini93

dennismini93

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:19 AM