#1 Knob1

Knob1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Local Club: Not in one :(

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Im bit of a noob i got mechanical background i been on website http://www.turbo- mini.com/4598.html i want to turbo a engine and not supercharge because of fuel economy but i don't really know where to start.

Do i turbo a 998cc mini engine or would it be better to turbo a 1275? And what sort of bhp will I be getting. also will it be reliable ?

I would need help on the parts what would be best to get and where I could source them from this would be much appreciated

I don't want to cut corners as that is where things go wrong and then it goes bang and it's just more money i want everything done properly

Any help will be much appreciated an i would be very greatful

#2 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

For engine choice, there have been plenty of both 998 and 1275 turbo minis done now, but obviously you have a bit more freedom with the 1275 as there are more applicable parts available due to the metro turbo.
If the engine is built correctly with a lot of attention to detail paid and the correct components it should easily be as reliable as a normal mini.
As for power you will have to decide before you start out how much you would be happy with. The 998 will get you up past 120hp, and up past 170 for a 1275 if built correctly. 

I suggest you do a lot more reading both on here and the turbominis forum before you start buying stuff. 
This website (http://www.turbo-min...7257/index.html)

is a very good starting place and should help you understand the requirements of a turbocharged mini.

Once you know how much power you want, and what size engine you are likely to use then people could advise on specific parts and manufacturers.

#3 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

A lot of research is involved, how much power - depends how mad you go, will it be reliable - depends how mad you go! do you have an engine at the moment? Do you have any idea what condition its in?

#4 BritishRacingGreen

BritishRacingGreen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

This isn't something you should jump into, It'll only end up costing you twice as much and take twice as long as doing it properly. Turboing a classic mini isn't like buying a stage once kit, spending an afternoon in the company of some spanners and hey presto.

That being said if you're set it'll pay to spend a lot of time doing your homework. Start with what you want to use the car for, and go from there. Have a look on here and on TurboMinis for build threads that are along the lines of what you want to do, and see what other people are doing. 

Turboing a 1275 will be more powerful and is a much better documented route. BHP will depend on what you build the engine for. The metro turbo made 94bhp and there have been 5 port a series making over 200bhp. Just depends again, on what the car will be used for. Reliability will be decided by how well built the engine is and how far you want to push it. If you build the engine to take 150hp but run 120 then you have a good margin for any failures.

Parts will probably have to be sourced second hand, Phil's website is a very good place to start for a parts list.

#5 Knob1

Knob1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

Thanks a lot for all the replys im going to do all my homework before i even buy an engine so i know what I am gettig my self in to. I also want to know people's personal opinion on turning a engine

I want to use a 1275 engine and i haven't brought a engine yet.

I would rather have the engine to be able to be used as a everyday car i would have another car too.

I would have Help most my family are mechanics.

I know im going to need:
head
rockers
pistons
carb
Oil cooler
metro camshaft
fuel pump
Diff
Manifold
T2 or t3 turbo
Dump valve
Turbo down pipe

Please add what I have missed

#6 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

Depends what condition the engine you buy is in

#7 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

You will find that all the small parts will add up to cost a lot, also megajolt or similar mappable ignition is highly recommended as well as a wideband lamba sensor and gauge (these alone are likely to add £400+ to the budget already).

Other things are oil feed and return lines and fittings, water feed and return fittings, different sized fuel lines, possibly an MPI tank, uprated clutch, possibly RTS clutch depending on power output, possibly uprated radiator, new nuts and bolts for the inevitable shearing, engine gaskets for everything you remove/ refit, actuator bracket, timing gears, modified bulkhead (if going with metro turbo exhaust manifold)

Also when considering engine size it may be worth thinking about insurance, as changing engine capacity will affect your insurance more than going to turbocharging alone.

#8 oliver122

oliver122

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

I would rather have the engine to be able to be used as a everyday car i would have another car too.

I know im going to need:
head - depending on power will determine how modified you go 
rockers - standard or 1.3 roller would be ideal
pistons - depending on what compression you want will determine what dish piston you go for and the state f the block will determine if you can use standard or have to have oversized
carb - turbo carb or use a standard 44 and use the t piece trick (http://www.turbomini...p?p=vt&tid=2103)

Oil cooler
metro camshaft - mg metro camshaft is the one you want 
fuel pump - needs to be a high pressure pump 
Diff - minispares cross pin diff 
Manifold - depending on your skills you could make one , or buy one theres a bloke over on turbomini's that make them ( that's if you don't want make bulkhead mods ) 
T2 or t3 turbo - alot of people have moved on to the saab 93 turbo garett gt1752 
Dump valve
Turbo down pipe - that can be made or brought 

intercooler

fuel pressure regulator

intercooler pipe

return fuel pipe

megajolt is worth adding 

narrow band or wideband sensor

im sure ive probably missed something to be honest

hav a ganders at this http://www.turbomini...ts/348364-1.pdf should give you an idea what you need to do to the engine 

Edited by oliver122, 06 June 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#9 Knob1

Knob1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Guys

The oil feed, water feed, return lines and all them i thought i would need to change thanks

I'm going to have a look more about the clutch and megajolt on whats best to use and what not

Insurance i should be able i get on a traders policy so that should be okay

Thanks for expanding on my list it has really helped and the link even better it tell me what I need basically this is much appreciated

I would love to have 125-150hp that would be awesome

I have also added to the list what you said

I know im going to need:
head - depending on power will determine how modified you go
rockers - standard or 1.3 roller would be ideal
pistons - depending on what compression you want will determine what dish piston you go for and the state f the block will determine if you can use standard or have to have oversized
carb - turbo carb or use a standard 44 and use the t piece trick (http://www.turbomini...p?p=vt&tid=2103)
Oil cooler
metro camshaft - mg metro camshaft is the one you want
fuel pump - needs to be a high pressure pump
Diff - minispares cross pin diff
Manifold - depending on your skills you could make one , or buy one theres a bloke over on turbomini's that make them ( that's if you don't want make bulkhead mods )
T2 or t3 turbo - alot of people have moved on to the saab 93 turbo garett gt1752
Dump valve
Turbo down pipe - that can be made or brought
intercooler
fuel pressure regulator
intercooler pipe
return fuel pipe
megajolt is worth adding
narrow band or wideband sensor
Mpi tank
Clutch gaskets

This is all very helpful thanks

#10 oliver122

oliver122

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

if you go with the mpi tank t has the fuel pump built in  :thumbsup:

#11 Knob1

Knob1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

Okay cool would it be better to use the mpi tank than using standard tank and new fuel pump ?

#12 oliver122

oliver122

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

well it can be kept abit tidyer if you do that because the tank has already got the return and pump built in . if you use a standard tank you will have to mount a pump , add a return into the tank ( can be dangerous because of welding if not done correctly) or t back in to the low pressure side of the fuel pump . the option i will be taking is t'ing into the low pressure side of an external pump 

#13 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Don't forget the most important thing if you are going to go turbo, you will need a good set of brakes.

#14 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

Don't forget the most important thing if you are going to go turbo, you will need a good set of brakes.

Why?

#15 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Why?

really?

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users