Photo
- - - - -

Ignition Problems Now!

Best Answer foggy , 14 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for all your help guys. I ordered a new module and that was it. Fitted tge module and shes purring away now :) Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hi all.after a few issues with my 998 carbed engine in my 79 clubman this latest one takes the biscuit!
Yesterday i reset the timing with a timing gun to get it running better.which it did.so i then removed the gun put the king lead back on and tried to start and it didnt. I then found the king lead was getting next to no spark when put against a good earth. So thought just my luck but bought today a new 12v non ballasted coil as i believe this is the correct one for my system as the last one was also non ballasted. I also got new ht leads too. Just fitted them and now i get one spark out of the king lead when put to eartg then no more sparks as i crank the engine. For info i have a simonbbc electronic dizzy... help much appreciated! :)

#2 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

The only thing I can think of is a faulty coil?

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Not the coil from the sound of it. Probably wasn't the first coil either! Did you disturb the electronic ignition wiring when playing with the gun? Is the dizzy cap damaged?

Edited by Dan, 11 June 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#4 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

No I kept it all the same, just connected the gun to the king lead and the centre of the dizzy and it ran lovely once I had timed it. Then removed the gun and reconnected the lead. I get one short spark if I take the dizzy end of the king lead and put it to earth and turn the key and then it stops. So the issue is before the dizzy surely?

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Is it just a gun that uses the leads then, no 12v to it? What happens if you replace the main lead with one of the other 4? The dizzy (no not the cap, you're right there) is what makes the coil work, it doesn't just keep firing off sparks.

#6 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

It basically joins between the king lead and the dizzy cap and has a socket to plug into the mains (of the house) to power the gun.

#7 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

Oh sorry. The I tried 2 different main leads.the old one and the new one I got today

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Wow! Ok, start with just checking all the connections haven't come loose at the coil and dizzy then, easy to overlook something simple. Coils don't really just stop.

Edited by Dan, 11 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#9 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Do the tests here for the Hall Effect trigger unit to see if its switching the coil, that will pinpoint if the modules doing its job http://www.theminifo...-systemtesting/

You dont have issues where the trigger wheel has slipped down on the distributor shaft like some here have found? and changed to the one piece trigger wheel and rotor arm.

#10 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

Yea im stumped.thanks kernow I will read through that. With regards to the trigger wheel I don't know. I havent heard of it before.is it a splined shaft or something that engages into the rotor arm?

#11 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Kernow, could I not do the aldon ignition test to tell me if the coil is faulty? Or am I reading this wrong?

#12 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Some of the trigger wheels dont have the small lip to set the height of the trigger wheel in relation to the trigger, some have used the one piece rotor trigger is overcome this issue

You only do the Aldon Igniter test if your running that trigger the Accuspark/Powersparks triggers you do the top test.

#13 foggy

foggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

I dont fully understand to be honest. The trigger wheel is the rotor arm is it? And the trigger is what part? I havent delved into much detail on the ignition system as you may have noticed! Ha

#14 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

The trigger wheel is the black round unit you push down onto the distributor shaft, you do the tests on the trigger to see its switching the coil and then do the tests on the coil as per the coil tests in the FAQs electrical

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

The trigger and the wheel are the bits under the dizzy cap that time the sparks, they make the module fire the coil.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users